Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2014, 04:33 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This particular game might not have been quite so one sided if Arsenal hadnt been reduced to 10 men for the 2nd half, but I agree such a dominant team in the league isnt great (same with the Scottish league).
There isn't a Scottish league.

Celtic needed Rangers and vice versa.

It's a farce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
It's not a farce to me. I pay money to watch it every week. We are a small country what do you expect? Just because the English teams pay ridiculous wages to buy foreign players who are overrated doesn't make it any less a farce! Queens park rangers spend more money on wages than Dortmund - that is a farce!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It's not a farce to me. I pay money to watch it every week. We are a small country what do you expect? Just because the English teams pay ridiculous wages to buy foreign players who are overrated doesn't make it any less a farce! Queens park rangers spend more money on wages than Dortmund - that is a farce!
I was a bit disingenuous there.

I also agree that the wage system is crazy.

The point I was making, and making badly, was that it's a foregone conclusion as to who is going to win the Scottish PL.

With Rangers around there was uncertainty as to the winner of the league and there was always the Old Firm derbies to watch- some of the fiercest matches I've ever seen!

Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
I'm not suggesting its a farce, I am just saying having such a dominant team like Celtic or Bayern Munich isn't great for the league, let's be honest nobody else other than Celtic was going to win the league this year and I would quite happily bet a 1000 pounds that they win it again next season! The problem is that kids will go for the successful teams so half the kids in Aberdeen 'support' Celtic, Celtic get 50000 paying fans and Aberdeen or Dundee have to try and compete with only 8000 paying fans , they can't - its a damaging circle.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:10 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm not suggesting its a farce, I am just saying having such a dominant team like Celtic or Bayern Munich isn't great for the league, let's be honest nobody else other than Celtic was going to win the league this year and I would quite happily bet a 1000 pounds that they win it again next season! The problem is that kids will go for the successful teams so half the kids in Aberdeen 'support' Celtic, Celtic get 50000 paying fans and Aberdeen or Dundee have to try and compete with only 8000 paying fans , they can't - its a damaging circle.
By and large European soccer is setup so only a few clubs in each country will truly prosper and consistently win their domestic leagues and make an impact in Europe. When you think about it's crazy that in England for example, only 5 teams have won the Premiere League since the 1992-1993 season and somewhere around 11 or 12 clubs have finished top 4.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
By and large European soccer is setup so only a few clubs in each country will truly prosper and consistently win their domestic leagues and make an impact in Europe. When you think about it's crazy that in England for example, only 5 teams have won the Premiere League since the 1992-1993 season and somewhere around 11 or 12 clubs have finished top 4.
Things do and have changed in the English game over time, Huddersfield town dominated in the 20's, Wolves were the team to beat in the 50's, Liverpool completely dominated the 80's but have never won the Premiership! During these periods other clubs have also had shorter periods of success, Leeds, Derby County, Nottingham Forest, Everton, Blackburn Rovers and Chelsea to name but a few. I believe Manchester United are coming to the end of their dominant period, for me City will be the team to beat over the next decade, unfortunately in Scotland it will still be just Celtic or possibly Rangers (once they get their act together) that will dominate.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
Dundee United and Aberdeen dominated Scottish football in the late 70s and through the 80s. Hearts dominated the late 50s, Dundee with the LEGEND Alan Gilzean in the early 60s winning the league and reaching the European cup semis (my beloved Dundees greatest days!), 1964–65 season finished Kilmarnock, Heart of Midlothian, Dunfermline Athletic. I won't deny the dominance of the Old Firm but this happens when you have two HUGE clubs in a small country.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:21 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,053 times
So anyone care to guess how badly bayern are going to beat arsenal?

Old 03-11-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
So anyone care to guess how badly bayern are going to beat arsenal?
Wenger has been talking up his team, as is his job, but I don't hold out much hope for them.

Old 03-11-2014, 05:00 PM

Good grief did you see Robbens dives! In fact most of the Munich team were at it! Its embarrassing for the sport. Maybe its because before the game I watched a re-run of the England v Wales Rugby international that highlighted it so much but my goodness how can grown men be that 'soft'. If I had to back a winner in a fight between my 16 year old daughter and Robben my money would be on my daughter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer