U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 12:05 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Why not?
The English Premier League has more depth than any pro football league.
Bottom 6 really suck in most countries but in England it's not that bad, bottom 6 teams in Spain just give up when they have to play Barcelona/Madrid and don't waste energy/risk any injuries, you will never see this in England.
Yeah, it depends on how you qualify as "best." The best teams are in Spain and Germany, but England is much deeper. There are about 2 teams that have a legit shot at winning the German and Spanish leagues, but England I would say has about 5 that could win EPL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 12:32 PM

10,428 posts, read 12,433,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
Davy 40: When was the last time a Dutch club did anything in Europe, 1990's Ajax? Dutch league isn't top 10, no way. Very talented players, but the league is weak.

What about Ukraine, Shakhtar Donetsk won the Uefa Cup two years ago, Dynamo Kyiv? Ukrainian league is top 10.
Dutch league not top 10 in Europe? Just when you thought you heard it all.
Which leagues do you rank above the Netherlands besides England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France?

\Ukraine is not in the EU

Old 08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

130 posts, read 201,200 times
I totally missed the "EU" part, that's an odd way to rate European clubs, why not include all of UEFA?

The Dutch league is not any better, perhaps equal to, Russian, Ukrainian, Turkey, Romanian, or Greek. Just look at the results, what Dutch club has won a European championship or made any noise in the past decade? Awesome national team, domestic league is average, middle of the pack.

I think Portugal should be in top 6 also with England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France...

Old 08-21-2013, 02:35 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times
Quote:
I totally missed the "EU" part, that's an odd way to rate European clubs, why not include all of UEFA?

The Dutch league is not any better, perhaps equal to, Russian, Ukrainian, Turkey, Romanian, or Greek. Just look at the results, what Dutch club has won a European championship or made any noise in the past decade? Awesome national team, domestic league is average, middle of the pack.

I think Portugal should be in top 6 also with England, Spain, Germany, Italy and France...
I had a Dutch girlfriend from Nijmegan in the 90s, she claimed (at least back then) that players from NEC Nijmegan and the other minnows from the Eredivisie all had to support themselves in another way besides soccer.

So no doubt Ajax and PSV are considerably better than any US/MLS club, but because of the parity in MLS, the worst MLS clubs will be better than the little clubs in Holland.

I think Portugal has that dynamic too, so I couldn't put them #6.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Are you crazy? Feyonord, Utrecht, Twente, Henerveen etc from Holland are better than any USA team.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:06 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,974,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Are you crazy? Feyonord, Utrecht, Twente, Henerveen etc from Holland are better than any USA team.
Those wouldn't be the "little clubs" I was referring to, although Utrecht is a minnow. NEC Nigmegan, Den Haag, Roda, Breda, Zwolle, Herecles, Cambuur... usually the lower half of the table any given year are true low-budget minnows. They aren't even big enough to be considered feeder clubs.

The Netherlands is one of the coolest nations in the world, so I ain't hating. But it is also tiny, Dutch professionals in many fields often need to leave the country to maximize their potentials.

Besides, we routinely hear Erevidisie's star players say they need more of a challenge after they leave Holland. And they leave before they even hit their primes nowadays.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:27 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,292,730 times
Right now it's
1. Bundesliga
2. La Liga
3. EPL
--------------
4. Seria A
5. Liga sagres
6. Ligue 1
--------------
7. Ukraine
8. Holland
9. Russia
--------------
10. Belgium
11. Greece
12. Turkey
13. Switzerland
---------------

Old 08-22-2013, 02:29 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Those wouldn't be the "little clubs" I was referring to, although Utrecht is a minnow. NEC Nigmegan, Den Haag, Roda, Breda, Zwolle, Herecles, Cambuur... usually the lower half of the table any given year are true low-budget minnows. They aren't even big enough to be considered feeder clubs.

The Netherlands is one of the coolest nations in the world, so I ain't hating. But it is also tiny, Dutch professionals in many fields often need to leave the country to maximize their potentials.

Besides, we routinely hear Erevidisie's star players say they need more of a challenge after they leave Holland. And they leave before they even hit their primes nowadays.
That will be because the Netherlands produces some of the best players in the world. Same happens in Spain outwith the big two.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM

10,428 posts, read 12,433,840 times
Quote:

The Dutch league is not any better, perhaps equal to, Russian, Ukrainian, Turkey, Romanian, or Greek. Just look at the results, what Dutch club has won a European championship or made any noise in the past decade?
I feel offended that you just put the the Greek and Romanian league in the same sentence as the Dutch Eredivisie where the greatest talents like Ronaldo/Romario made their first steps in Europe.

Feyenoord won the UEFA Cup in 2002, AZ lost in the last second of extra time in the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup in 2005 against Sporting Lisbon, PSV almost knocked out AC Milan in the Champions League semi-finals of 2005, PSV also has the best record in the group phase of the Europa League with 15 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses.

Dutch Clubs:
6x Champions League, 4x UEFA Cup

Portuguese Clubs:
4x Champions League, 2x UEFA Cup

French Clubs:
1x Champions League, 0x UEFA Cup

Russian Clubs:
0x Champions League, 2x UEFA Cup

Ukrainian Clubs:
0x Champions League, 1x UEFA Cup

Turkish Clubs:
0x Champions League, 1x UEFA Cup

Old 08-22-2013, 11:52 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,502,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I had a Dutch girlfriend from Nijmegan in the 90s, she claimed (at least back then) that players from NEC Nijmegan and the other minnows from the Eredivisie all had to support themselves in another way besides soccer.

So no doubt Ajax and PSV are considerably better than any US/MLS club, but because of the parity in MLS, the worst MLS clubs will be better than the little clubs in Holland.

I think Portugal has that dynamic too, so I couldn't put them #6.
So you're basing your whole argument on something a Dutch gf of yours told you? The average salary in the Eredivisie is 350k in Euros. That's $467k. The average salary in MLS is $141k. But this is inflated because of the Henry's and Keane's of the league that make $5 and $4mil each. The median salary in MLS is actually $85k and the minimum is $35k.

what are you basing your belief that the worst (or any for that matter) MLS clubs would be better than the smaller clubs in Holland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or