U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 AM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Those wouldn't be the "little clubs" I was referring to, although Utrecht is a minnow. NEC Nigmegan, Den Haag, Roda, Breda, Zwolle, Herecles, Cambuur... usually the lower half of the table any given year are true low-budget minnows. They aren't even big enough to be considered feeder clubs.

The Netherlands is one of the coolest nations in the world, so I ain't hating. But it is also tiny, Dutch professionals in many fields often need to leave the country to maximize their potentials.

Besides, we routinely hear Erevidisie's star players say they need more of a challenge after they leave Holland. And they leave before they even hit their primes nowadays.
They don't need to leave to maximize their potentials, they leave to fill their pockets in a short time and to be shown live on TV worldwide every weekend.

Aren't even big enough to be considered feeder clubs...

Average market value-player of Roda is 554.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Heracles is 522.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Den Haag is 508.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Breda is 479.000 euro,
Average market value-player of NEC is 444.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Zwolle is 421.000 euro,

Average market value-per player of Kansas City is 299.000 euro
Average market value-per player of Portland is 294.000 euro
Average market value-per player of Salt Lake City is 283.000 euro

and those clubs are at the top of the MLS standings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:01 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
They don't need to leave to maximize their potentials, they leave to fill their pockets in a short time and to be shown live on TV worldwide every weekend.

Aren't even big enough to be considered feeder clubs...

Average market value-player of Roda is 554.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Heracles is 522.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Den Haag is 508.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Breda is 479.000 euro,
Average market value-player of NEC is 444.000 euro,
Average market value-player of Zwolle is 421.000 euro,

Average market value-per player of Kansas City is 299.000 euro
Average market value-per player of Portland is 294.000 euro
Average market value-per player of Salt Lake City is 283.000 euro

and those clubs are at the top of the MLS standings
Those are actually rather pathetic market values, you see plenty of marginal players being sold all the time for 5,000,000 euro... those are minnow values like I said. The Ajaxes, PSVs and Feyenoords tend to beat those teams 5-0 even if they use B teams.

I was mainly concurring with i-drive's post saying Dutch teams are not better than those from Russia, Turkey, Ukraine, etc. and offering US teams as a dismal comparison. And most agree that US players are undervalued, there are issues with US visas.

I think its also fair to say Dutch teams are trending downward, no more glory days for Ajax... although I think there is a trend for more parity... teams like AZ starting to be able to compete with the big clubs.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:10 AM

130 posts, read 201,226 times
[quote=Davy-040;31090309]I feel offended that you just put the the Greek and Romanian league in the same sentence as the Dutch Eredivisie where the greatest talents like Ronaldo/Romario made their first steps in Europe.

Feyenoord won the UEFA Cup in 2002, AZ lost in the last second of extra time in the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup in 2005 against Sporting Lisbon, PSV almost knocked out AC Milan in the Champions League semi-finals of 2005, PSV also has the best record in the group phase of the Europa League with 15 wins, 6 draws, 3 losses.

Sorry that you are offended so easily, in the future I will take that into account and be more positive for you sir. I was under the impression that we are talking about the present, meaning today, or perhaps the past 2-3 seasons.

Anyway, UEFA has the facts on where things stand TODAY, I'll take there formula before I take any emotional ramblings.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:09 AM

10,430 posts, read 12,436,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Those are actually rather pathetic market values, you see plenty of marginal players being sold all the time for 5,000,000 euro... those are minnow values like I said. The Ajaxes, PSVs and Feyenoords tend to beat those teams 5-0 even if they use B teams.
Feyenoord lost to Zwolle 3 weeks ago.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:25 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,975,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Feyenoord lost to Zwolle 3 weeks ago.
Well Feyenoord has been struggling to not suck in recent years. One of the biggest and best ports in the world has a pretty meager football team.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:33 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,100,406 times
They are better than anything in North America. New York has a mediocre team and it is huge so lets not get into that. Plus Rotterdam has two teams. I will stick up for Holland all day long, tiny country who have a conveyor belt of talent for decades.

Last edited by paull805; 08-23-2013 at 03:11 PM..

Old 08-24-2013, 11:45 AM

Who's comparing MLS to any UEFA league, that's ludicrous. Yes Holland produces great talent, but the domestic league is very average, middle of the pack, you cant argue with the final results in European competition, its black and white.

Back in the early 90's ESPN showed Eredivisie on replay on Tuesdays and I watched PSV with Ronaldo and it was fantastic, also remember Ernie Stewart with Willem who represented the US. The great van Gaal Ajax, Seedorf, Litmanen, Blind, Overmars, Davids, Kanu, de Boer brothers were almost unstoppable. They are a shadow of what they where.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:56 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,502,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
Who's comparing MLS to any UEFA league, that's ludicrous. Yes Holland produces great talent, but the domestic league is very average, middle of the pack, you cant argue with the final results in European competition, its black and white.

Back in the early 90's ESPN showed Eredivisie on replay on Tuesdays and I watched PSV with Ronaldo and it was fantastic, also remember Ernie Stewart with Willem who represented the US. The great van Gaal Ajax, Seedorf, Litmanen, Blind, Overmars, Davids, Kanu, de Boer brothers were almost unstoppable. They are a shadow of what they where.
MLS homers. Browse through mlssoccer.com and you'll see MLS fans there claiming MLS is a top 5 league. Some even think the MLS is on par with the EPL. I'm not kidding you.

They think anyone who watches a European league over MLS is a "euro snob".

Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM

Oh come on man, who on this site "city-data is? MLS.com or whatever is there business, why bring it up here? I can show you sites that people believe that Elvis is alive and working at Taco Bell, but are you gonna believe it?

Old 08-24-2013, 01:52 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,502,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-drive View Post
Oh come on man, who on this site "city-data is? MLS.com or whatever is there business, why bring it up here? I can show you sites that people believe that Elvis is alive and working at Taco Bell, but are you gonna believe it?
well quite a few people on here say that MLS is better than most UEFA leagues. I've seen people on this forum say that MLS teams could hang in the EPL. I don't want to call anyone out by name. Maybe they will post why they think this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or