U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 12:37 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,143,077 times

Advertisements

City hammer United 4.1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
****e weekend for my football teams but City thrashing Utd fans and hearing Utd fans talk about how hard it is now has made my weekend. Hell, made my season.

Old 09-23-2013, 12:34 PM

814 posts, read 937,777 times
I really don't understand how City, with its unbelievably fortunate infusion of obscene amounts of money that the club did nothing special to actually deserve, is somehow still viewed as the darling underdog while United remain the dastardly villain. Not just you, Brian (and I'll take a complete shot in the dark and arbitrarily guess that you are a Liverpool supporter, in which case United will always be at the very top of your **** list and that's totally understandable), but every non-United supporter at my local footy pub were cheering their hearts out when City staged that miraculous comeback to win the title two seasons ago, and they were still cheering their hearts out yesterday.

And I say this as someone who has no love lost for United nor their legion of plastic, gloryhunting fans, but what the filthy-rich benefactor owners of Chelsea and now City have done to rise to the top has just about ruined the game.

Last edited by that412; 09-23-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 12:36 PM

You can throw a lot of money at some teams, big money comes big egos and they fail to gel. Look at Chelsea since ABV took over, they should have won the league every season.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:07 PM

921 posts, read 909,684 times
Hey that412, it wasn't hard to guess that BrianH is L'pool fan, huh
Let other fans be happy for a while, they waited for 20 years to see Man Utd weak....but it's still only 5 games into the new season.
We'll see how its going to work, it will be a interesting season to watch for sure.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
The only clues I had to work with were that he's Irish, his team had a "****e weekend," and his open disdain for Manchester United! Really could have been anyone

Old 09-23-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You can throw a lot of money at some teams, big money comes big egos and they fail to gel. Look at Chelsea since ABV took over, they should have won the league every season.
Chelsea were becoming decrepit when AVB took over. He was tasked with restarting the cycle, which the old guard did not like and rebelled, leading to his departure. It's no shock Chelsea finished 6th that season, but nor is it an indictment of Chelsea's free-spending policies, as that would be completely ignoring all the trophies they did manage to win because of Abramovich.

City did already buy a title, and they're certainly a favorite to do it again this year after one season in the purgatorial depths of second place.

You can pull out any cliche you like about chemistry and egos, but when you are able to play the completely different game that Chelsea can under Abramovich and City can under Mansour, you have an unfair advantage, period, and I think each team's trophy cabinet reflects that. It is not something to be celebrated and cheered, it is something to be very, very worried about.

I have my doubts that Financial Fair Play will be able to truly reign in the kind of "un-earned" spending that Chelsea and City have enjoyed. The skeptic in my suspects that it will be like paying taxes - the haves will figure out ways to get around it, while the gap with the have-nots just continues to grow.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:45 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,425,547 times
As a United fan it's hard to watch our current poor display but what's really annoying me is the selection of the old and/or boring players that have no guile. Giggs, Young, Cleverly, Welbeck keep playing without producing yet we have some real exciting players not getting any chances like Kagawa, Hernandez, Januzej, Zaha...

Old 09-23-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete MUFC View Post
Let other fans be happy for a while, they waited for 20 years to see Man Utd weak....but it's still only 5 games into the new season.
We'll see how its going to work, it will be a interesting season to watch for sure.
I thought it was obvious by how bitter I am ? lol. I only support teams that suck, Shelbourne, Coloroado, Liverpool.

It will be interesting, its the first time in years that Utd arent pretty close to guaranteed to win it so its good. Liverpool wont win it so give me what I can!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2013, 04:47 AM

17 posts, read 13,507 times
Nice words shared in the post. Thanks for sharing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or