U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

750 posts, read 920,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
Denying that La Liga is a two horse race is just foolish. Just look at the stats. R.Madrid and Barcelona have won 54 times in total. La Liga is incredibly imbalanced at the top of the table.
I'm not denying it, I just think La Liga have more to offer than just watching Real and Barcelona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:59 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
La Liga is a two horse race because Barca and Real are bankrolled. They have a different set of rules and receive the most money for TV. Its harder to compete when you have teams like that in your league.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:45 AM

7,830 posts, read 6,645,134 times
Quote:
When it comes to La Liga vs Premier League, I think they are more similar than different.

La Liga is a two-horse race: Barcelona & Real Madrid

Premier League is also the same: the two teams being Manchester United and whichever team happens to be bankrolled by a billionaire.
Manchester United finished 7th last year and are currently 5th, hardly dominating right now! People who say the English league historically has been dominated by just Manchester United don't know the true history of English football. In the English league teams tend to dominate for a period but their domination does eventually fall away, for example Liverpool were the dominant team in the Seventies, Wolves dominant in the Fifties, Arsenal in the Thirties and Huddersfield Town were dominant in the Twenties (and look at where they are now), I think you may find that either City or Chelsea MAY be the next dominant force in English football (though you can't be sure). I may be wrong but I think that in Spain I believe that Real Madrid and Barcelona have dominated since forever?!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:28 AM

750 posts, read 920,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I may be wrong but I think that in Spain I believe that Real Madrid and Barcelona have dominated since forever?!
Bilbao dominated the 30's, Atletico, Sevilla and Valencia the 40's. The Barcelona/ Madrid dominance started in the 50's.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 AM

1 posts, read 675 times
The only way to fix this problem is to introduce a salary cap in all European football. Anyone who breaches it should also be punished with high severity. It's ridiculous how clubs like Real Madrid and Barca are in the ucl every year & are always favourites. It's unfair on other clubs. Great clubs like Ajax and Liverpool no longer have a chance to win this cup, and Italian Serie A clubs are not far off falling away either. If Juventus were to win it this season, it will take lots of luck as well. And Juventus have to fight to hold on to their young star players like Paul Pogba. That's because the vultures (clubs like Real, Barca, PSG, Man City) are always lurking in the shadows and prepared to even pay ridiculous sums of up to 100 million for him. Only solution is to have a salary cap. If those very clubs don't like it, tough. I'm sure the majority of not so rich clubs will, and then we can have football back like it used to be. Where many different clubs from different federations can win.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:51 AM

247 posts, read 170,545 times
Like the Celtic vs. Rangers of the Scottish Premier League.

Old 11-01-2015, 01:47 AM

19 posts, read 41,064 times
Quote:
When it comes to La Liga vs Premier League, I think they are more similar than different.

La Liga is a two-horse race: Barcelona & Real Madrid

Premier League is also the same: the two teams being Manchester United and whichever team happens to be bankrolled by a billionaire.
I agree on La Liga, but partly agree on EPL. MU used to dominate the league when Sir Alex was in charge, but many things has happened since 2005. Abramovich bought Chelsea. Man City was bought by an Arab millionaire I believe. Arsenal and Liverpool aren't too strong like they used to, but still good enough. Tottenham and Southampton are good. Oh, don't forget Stoke City. I like their defensive performance.

La Liga is a two-horse race. How about Bundesliga? Oh man Bayern Munich probably dominates like forever.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:13 PM

2,986 posts, read 2,101,622 times
It isn't hard to see why, they are the two largest teams in the world and the attitude and gloryhunting of their fans makes them an easy target. Barcelona's board isn't helping them either with their recent tax frauds, money laundering and breeching UE rules (they were fined and punished from FIFA and UEFA for it though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lullaby001 View Post
I agree on La Liga, but partly agree on EPL. MU used to dominate the league when Sir Alex was in charge, but many things has happened since 2005. Abramovich bought Chelsea. Man City was bought by an Arab millionaire I believe. Arsenal and Liverpool aren't too strong like they used to, but still good enough. Tottenham and Southampton are good. Oh, don't forget Stoke City. I like their defensive performance.

La Liga is a two-horse race. How about Bundesliga? Oh man Bayern Munich probably dominates like forever.
La Liga hasn't always been a two teams battle, it's a recent development, up until the mid 00s Valencia, Deportivo, Celta, Betis were all competing for the title. It's logical that having the largest fanbases, Barça and Real Madrid have been consistently near the top of the table simply due to more resources.

As for the Bundesliga, up until 2012 it was the most closely fought league, i still remember the title race in 2007 and 2009 with 3-4 teams competing until the last two matchdays.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:17 PM

15,672 posts, read 8,402,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Yeah, Messi is overrated
I'm a huge huge zinedine zidane fan but Lionel messi is the King of Kings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or