U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 62,334 times

Advertisements

Soccer, for the most part, is constant action. It takes extreme skill and fitness. The lack of commercials/stoppages.

The time spent on the games will last 2 hours barring overtime or PK's. You could schedule your whole life around this. The last 2 minutes in american football and basketball could be drown out for 30 minutes.

A co-worker just came back from a baseball game that lasted 5.5 hours.

I love soccer and it is the main sport watched in my house. I have turned my wife and son onto its charms and my wife isn't really a fan of watching sports but she has watched enough soccer with me to appreciate the game and skill and she is actually quite educated on the sport now and loves to watch.

The passion of the fans. The history. The bleeding your colors. The rituals you go through to make sure the outcome is in your favor.

I have been trying to blog/forum write about adopting promotion and relegation into other American/Canadian sports and that is something I love about soccer (not in the US). You actually have to try to stay up and there are consequences and rewards for ending the season where you were. In other sports, you are rewarded for being last with the first pick in the next years draft. WHY TRY! That is another reason soccer is the best sport in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 03:25 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,292,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It is drama, a game of skill that doesn't always have to have goals to be exciting. Tribalism, culture, history all comes into play, well in Europe anyway.
This. but you shouldn't just limit it towards europe. South america is just a passionate about it's futbol as europe is.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:58 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
I think every continent has passionate fans. The only place that doesn't is Old Trafford

Old 09-22-2013, 05:22 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
This. but you shouldn't just limit it towards europe. South america is just a passionate about it's futbol as europe is.
Of course. But as I am from Europe I can comment from experience. I am trying to get a Celtic v Barcelona ticket - the last time the atmosphere was insane.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:20 PM

15 posts, read 19,942 times
Don't know why I typed hockey in my reply, must be going senile. American football is my other sport.

Old 09-27-2013, 10:10 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs2100 View Post
I have been trying to blog/forum write about adopting promotion and relegation into other American/Canadian sports and that is something I love about soccer (not in the US). You actually have to try to stay up and there are consequences and rewards for ending the season where you were. In other sports, you are rewarded for being last with the first pick in the next years draft. WHY TRY! That is another reason soccer is the best sport in my opinion.
That would be interesting, but the structure of US sports is all designed around drafts to help level the playing field. Minor league teams would need to become unaffiliated with top teams for this structure to work. I think it would be extremely messy, and actually the owners would never allow it. I don't think it can happen with an established league.

Old 09-27-2013, 11:46 AM

245 posts, read 256,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I think every continent has passionate fans. The only place that doesn't is Old Trafford
English fans, with the exception of Crystal palace, are not entertaining as German or Eastern Euro Fans

Old 09-27-2013, 01:14 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,099,264 times
Liverpool?

Old 09-27-2013, 02:16 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
English fans, with the exception of Crystal palace, are not entertaining as German or Eastern Euro Fans
The atmosphere can be good at many a ground in England, but if you're talking Ultras/Tifo then you are 100% correct. But then again, you're not even allowed to stand in England without the threat of being thrown out of the ground.

Hopefully Selthick experiment of standing works out and the rest of the UK follows suit to bring some atmosphere back into the grounds.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:54 AM

7,834 posts, read 6,650,855 times
Atmosphere in English stadiums is related to the game - elsewhere it seems to be more about 'posing'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer