Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 7,422 times

Advertisements

Where I live in Canada there's very little to no coverage of the sport and many people I know don't bother watching it and prefer ice hockey.

Can people explain why they like football despite the low scores? Goals aside, is it due to the anticipation and near misses of potential goals?

Is the sport exciting because people find the chase as entertaining as the catch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 11:45 PM

782 posts, read 1,105,770 times
It is a different paced sport, but there is constant action, grace, power, skill ... it can be a beautiful game to watch. There are ugly games (as there are in any sport), but I can also show you vastly entertaining and interesting 0-0 and 1-0 matches as well (not to mention 5-3 thrillers and the like).

Growing up I knew nothing of soccer, i watched football, hockey, basketball, some baseball. I was a traditional kid. I can tell you now that not only do I find soccer to be by far the most exciting and interesting sport out there, but that I find most of those other sports boring and unwatchable.

Baseball? Horrible, you couldn't pay me to go to watch this terrible sport. Basketball doesn't interest me, and football I find so mind numbingly boring it's not even funny. Hockey is the one other sport I can still appreciate. But nothing touches the excitement of soccer.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:03 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
I'm a yank who is a casual soccer fan.

Soccer to me seems not too different from hockey. It's a free flowing game where momentum can change in an instant. Only thing is, the playing field is wider and and athletes uses their less dexterous feet to move to the ball, hence less potential for scoring.

Like anything else it takes getting used to. Admittedly, I only REALLY get invested in a match when the national team plays. But it has it's charms and quirks like any other sport.

You gotta learn to appreciate the build up towards a goal to really enjoy it in my view.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,946 times
It is drama, a game of skill that doesn't always have to have goals to be exciting. Tribalism, culture, history all comes into play, well in Europe anyway.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:24 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
As an american, I can attest that due to the general lack of that culture and history surrounding the sport.....it's tough to sell newbies on that.

You can sell them on the stories of foriegn leagues of course, but even though I like watching UEFA club bouts, it's not the same as if I was actually FROM Merseyside or Catalonia.

You have to point out the appeal of the game on it's own merits.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 AM

15 posts, read 24,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
It is a different paced sport, but there is constant action, grace, power, skill ... it can be a beautiful game to watch. There are ugly games (as there are in any sport), but I can also show you vastly entertaining and interesting 0-0 and 1-0 matches as well (not to mention 5-3 thrillers and the like).

Growing up I knew nothing of soccer, i watched football, hockey, basketball, some baseball. I was a traditional kid. I can tell you now that not only do I find soccer to be by far the most exciting and interesting sport out there, but that I find most of those other sports boring and unwatchable.

Baseball? Horrible, you couldn't pay me to go to watch this terrible sport. Basketball doesn't interest me, and football I find so mind numbingly boring it's not even funny. Hockey is the one other sport I can still appreciate. But nothing touches the excitement of soccer.
Wow, you just summed up my feelings in the subject almost word for word! I love soccer, especially Barcelona. I've been their fan since I first got to see them play in the 08-09 season. I too only watch hockey as my other sport.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qhljmrz View Post
Where I live in Canada there's very little to no coverage of the sport and many people I know don't bother watching it and prefer ice hockey.

Can people explain why they like football despite the low scores? Goals aside, is it due to the anticipation and near misses of potential goals?

Is the sport exciting because people find the chase as entertaining as the catch?

the low scores argument is childish , a 20 - 19 game would just be farcical , their is great enjoyment in watching a well organised defense which bides it time and takes its chances , if you want 10 - 9 games ,stick to street football for kids

Old 09-14-2013, 03:05 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,971,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
It is drama, a game of skill that doesn't always have to have goals to be exciting. Tribalism, culture, history all comes into play, well in Europe anyway.
This. You grow up with it, it becomes part of your cultural DNA. I remember back in 1986, I was only a kid, the whole country dancing and celebrating when Belgium reached the semifinals of the World Cup, families and friends going crazy. Something like that touches you when you are a child. Same goes for the beloved club you see your father, uncles, friends,...rooting for. This club then also becomes your beloved club.

And since I've played it myself since I was 6 years old, you get to appreciate the game even more.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 7,422 times
Goals aside, some enjoy watching it because they want to see two teams compete based on skills and tactics and NOT based on scoring?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:18 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,866 times
I prefer free slowing sports that aren't chopped up constantly by stoppages. Thus, ever since I was a little kid hockey and soccer were always my two favorite sports to watch and play. I think they are very similar in a lot of ways even though my hockey buddies would never admit to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer