U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2016, 08:02 AM
 
3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Reputation: 2825

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't see why not, I am not spending hours trawling through, you go and look it up and then we will discuss.
Because that's not how this works. You make an assertion, it's on you to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2016, 01:27 PM
 
Location: SW France
14,284 posts, read 14,165,988 times
Reputation: 27928
Regarding teams that unexpectedly won the league title, and here I'm talking about the old top division before the days of the PL, which was Division 1, check out Ipswich Town!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswic...vision_success

They were promoted to Division 1 and won the title at the first attempt in 1960/61 under the manager Alf Ramsey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM
 
3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Regarding teams that unexpectedly won the league title, and here I'm talking about the old top division before the days of the PL, which was Division 1, check out Ipswich Town!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipswic...vision_success

They were promoted to Division 1 and won the title at the first attempt in 1960/61 under the manager Alf Ramsey!


So that'll be three, then, so far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 02:17 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,851 posts, read 6,669,725 times
Reputation: 5362
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post


So that'll be three, then, so far?
Now you go and look up the history's of all other English clubs and then we can see what the total is and three I believe is already three more than you thought there would be no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2016, 07:36 AM
 
3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Now you go and look up the history's of all other English clubs and then we can see what the total is and three I believe is already three more than you thought there would be no?
Hm, let's see. Leicester is one. Nott'm Forest (which I've cited) is two. Ipswich which another poster (who was notably not you) has cited is three. How about you make a contribution?

But OK, I'll indulge. A quick Google search reveals Sheffield Utd in 1898, Everton in 1932 and Spurs in 1951. That's it. Six teams over 117 years. So your saying that "it might happen again in five or ten years" is basically akin to saying "Bournemouth might win it next year. Or they might not. But it's a 50/50 chance."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 04:16 PM
 
Location: SE UK
7,851 posts, read 6,669,725 times
Reputation: 5362
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Hm, let's see. Leicester is one. Nott'm Forest (which I've cited) is two. Ipswich which another poster (who was notably not you) has cited is three. How about you make a contribution?

But OK, I'll indulge. A quick Google search reveals Sheffield Utd in 1898, Everton in 1932 and Spurs in 1951. That's it. Six teams over 117 years. So your saying that "it might happen again in five or ten years" is basically akin to saying "Bournemouth might win it next year. Or they might not. But it's a 50/50 chance."
I never said its a 50/50 chance that Bournemouth would win the league next year?? I said promoted teams have won the league before and it will happen again, I then said it COULD be 5 years, it COULD be 10 years etc, this was all in response to the claim that it would NEVER happen again, I still stand by what I said, there is NO reason why ANY club cant get promoted and win the league, nobody said it was 'easy', English football is bloody competitive, there will be 20 clubs looking to win the league next season and obviously some are better equipped than others, teams can and do however evolve (either one way or the other). As for 'making a contribution' I've told you previously, I can't be arsed to troll through every clubs history over every season, (I am pretty clued up on the history of Chelsea FC if you want to know it) if it means that much to you then well done for looking into it, for a full detailed account of EVERY clubs history try the site European football statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2016, 09:29 PM
 
3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I never said its a 50/50 chance that Bournemouth would win the league next year??
Oh, ffs... For someone who lives in the UK, you certainly seem to have a rather tenuous grasp on the language.
Quote:
this was all in response to the claim that it would NEVER happen again
No such claim has been made.
Quote:
As for 'making a contribution' I've told you previously, I can't be arsed to troll through every clubs history over every season, (I am pretty clued up on the history of Chelsea FC if you want to know it) if it means that much to you then well done for looking into it, for a full detailed account of EVERY clubs history try the site European football statistics.
Clearly not. You'd much rather spout off random statements. I never asked for every club's history. I merely asked for examples of promoted teams winning the league to illustrate the rarity of such an occasion. You couldn't even be arsed to do a simple Google search to prove your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 11:34 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,851 posts, read 6,669,725 times
Reputation: 5362
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Oh, ffs... For someone who lives in the UK, you certainly seem to have a rather tenuous grasp on the language.No such claim has been made.Clearly not. You'd much rather spout off random statements. I never asked for every club's history. I merely asked for examples of promoted teams winning the league to illustrate the rarity of such an occasion. You couldn't even be arsed to do a simple Google search to prove your point.
I think perhaps YOU should go back and re-read my posts, YOU seem to be the one with a rather tenuous grasp on the language, if I can't be arsed to trawl through the history of every English club then it really is my prerogative, however we are already past the 'only two' clubs (as you claimed) that have done it in the past, I stand by my point, it WILL happen again, it COULD be next year, it COULD be 5 years, it COULD be 10, it COULD BE MORE but it will happen again, I still fail to see what it is about this you find so offensive?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 11:52 AM
 
3,804 posts, read 2,693,991 times
Reputation: 2825
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I think perhaps YOU should go back and re-read my posts, YOU seem to be the one with a rather tenuous grasp on the language, if I can't be arsed to trawl through the history of every English club then it really is my prerogative, however we are already past the 'only two' clubs (as you claimed) that have done it in the past, I stand by my point, it WILL happen again, it COULD be next year, it COULD be 5 years, it COULD be 10, it COULD BE MORE but it will happen again, I still fail to see what it is about this you find so offensive?
The fact that this was not your original point, nor did you color it as such. Furthermore, none of those "past the only two" were in Leicester's situation where as a new team they sat in the relegation zone a year prior to winning the title. So, no, it's not as cut-and-dry as you'd like it to be.

But given that you don't feel the need or, as you so eloquently put it, can't be arsed to back your statements up with fact, talking to you is rather like talking to Donald Trump. As such, I shall refrain from doing so any further and I doubt my original point (that "hey, let's just build a team cheaply and win the title" is not, nor will it ever be the general rule nor particularly easy to do) will suffer any for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2016, 01:52 AM
 
Location: SE UK
7,851 posts, read 6,669,725 times
Reputation: 5362
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
The fact that this was not your original point, nor did you color it as such. Furthermore, none of those "past the only two" were in Leicester's situation where as a new team they sat in the relegation zone a year prior to winning the title. So, no, it's not as cut-and-dry as you'd like it to be.

But given that you don't feel the need or, as you so eloquently put it, can't be arsed to back your statements up with fact, talking to you is rather like talking to Donald Trump. As such, I shall refrain from doing so any further and I doubt my original point (that "hey, let's just build a team cheaply and win the title" is not, nor will it ever be the general rule nor particularly easy to do) will suffer any for it.
Here is my original point:- 'Or you could do what Leicester did and simply build a Premier League winning team at a price you can afford?'. I still fail to see what the issue is you have with this? I never said winning the Premier League was easy did I? It certainly ISN'T IMPOSSIBLE though is it, My statement has been backed up with FACTS, backed up by fellow posters who have indicated teams that have won the title straight after promotion, what 'facts' do I need to back up the claim 'Or you could do what Leicester did and simply build a Premier League winning team at a price you can afford?' exactly? Any team that has won the league without 'spending the most'? 'outside of the top 4 biggest spenders'? Any team that has won the league without going 'bust'? Perhaps next time before commenting you should take into consideration more than just the last 5 years of history, English football has been around a lot longer than you seem to realise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top