U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:44 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times

Advertisements

Ive been watching the Playoffs but they do bore me. I honestly think theyre pointless and would rather see a league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:28 AM

245 posts, read 256,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
confused by this. There isn't a playoff in Europe to decide CL or Europa qualification.

I think some leagues like Belgian and Greek do the playoffs. Not the top leagues

Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post

I think some leagues like Belgian and Greek do the playoffs. Not the top leagues
right..but when someone says Europe they are referring to the big leagues in Europe, not the fringe ones.

btw Greece and Belgium do not have playoffs. Greece has a playoff to decide Champions League spots but not to decide League title winner. Belgium is a little more complicated. They split their table towards the end of the season and have a round robin with the top 6 teams.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:58 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,698,214 times
MLS’s disappearing act

This is an interesting article in the Washington Post that addresses some potential solutions about the MLS playoffs.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:00 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
The playoffs are boring and not what a fan wants IMHO. If my team is not in it I am not interested. If they want to have some sort of post season competition to decide a second CCL spot then fine, but just give us an actual league fans can relate to.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:20 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,674,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
right..but when someone says Europe they are referring to the big leagues in Europe, not the fringe ones.

btw Greece and Belgium do not have playoffs. Greece has a playoff to decide Champions League spots but not to decide League title winner. Belgium is a little more complicated. They split their table towards the end of the season and have a round robin with the top 6 teams.
Well, here in Belgium, everybody calls it playoffs nonetheless. I don't like this system at all: it's overcomplicated and basically unfair. The top 6 teams get their points decreased by half at the start of playoff 1, while the winner of playoff 2 (teams ranked between 7 and 14) gets a ticket for the Europa League .
Just go back to the original competition formula and the hell with all this BS .

Old 03-13-2014, 03:18 PM

886 posts, read 1,924,504 times
I love the playoffs. I get why people who are used to a different system other than the MLS wouldn't, but I think it's great.

Supporters Shield is nice, but since there isn't a balanced schedule it doesn't hold as much meaning IMO. It's still awesome to win, but NYRB didn't have to play RSL, LA, Portland, etc more then once. Without a balanced schedule it's hard to be best in the league. The last 2 years the SS has been super close, with Sporting KC being within a game of having it... however if we have a year like 2011 where the shield was wrapped up weeks before the end of the season, it makes watching games not as fun, especially since there is no relegation, might as well just end the season.

BUT, with playoffs, people are still fighting to avoid the knock out round, to get rights to host the 2nd leg, and the better you do the higher chances of hosting the MLS Cup at your own stadium (possibly even over SS winner if they get knocked out, like NYRB did).

The playoffs need a set schedule however to improve them, and not so much time should pass between the final regular season game, and the actual cup. I think they are exciting though personally. The MLS Cup winner is the team that not only had a decent season to make it to the playoffs but who could hold on under pressure. Just my 2cents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer