U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:42 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,476,631 times

Advertisements

Here we are. The Europeans and Latin Americans mock us for it, I know, we don't really care. We are fine with our major sports and only look at soccer during the world cup. But why not? Why not become a super power in most popular sport in the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 04:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,993,251 times
Getting more of our best teens into the youth sides of decent UEFA clubs would be a good start.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,867,229 times
the US does have the best soccer players in the world but the "official" national team is made up of leftover scrubs from the elite teams which live, practice and compete in the Galactic League where they play against freakish alien beings from across the universe in a vast soccer city in a hollowed out mountain in the Arizona desert....USA! USA! USA!

Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,730,522 times
The Americans largely demolished the CONCAF on their way to the World Cup draw this year with a +7 goal differential and only 2 losses. We are doing what we did during the Revolutionary War, borrowing a German general (Klinsmann) and tactics (it's a German style play book) and hopefully whipping the overpowered, elitist, favorite who never takes us seriously, Brazil. I will gladly drink a Marzen to that!

Old 11-16-2013, 04:40 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,498,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
Here we are. The Europeans and Latin Americans mock us for it, I know, we don't really care. We are fine with our major sports and only look at soccer during the world cup. But why not? Why not become a super power in most popular sport in the world?

We don't have the soccer infrastructure those countries have. And we don't have the soccer culture.

Take a country like Germany. They have a 6-tier promotion/relegation pyramid with tiers 4, 5, and 6 including multiple regional leagues. It's an ingenious system for several reasons.
German football league system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One reason it works so well is the distance from potential player to a pro-club is so small. A young prospect from any town or city in Germany isn't very far from the a pro club that is in the pyramid. This is how it works throughout Europe, but Germany does it the best. The barriers to entry for a young player are very low.

Compare that to the U.S.A. In the U.S we have a high barrier to entry for a young player. To join the professional ranks you basically need to be drafted. But before that to even get noticed you'll likely need to play in college. And college, because of NCAA restrictions on practice time and the lack of a competitive enough environment, is the absolute worst place for a young soccer player to learn his craft. Take a player like Josh Gatt. Gatt lived in Michigan, where the closest MLS club was probably Columbus Crew. But Gatt couldn't just go to Columbus and get a try-out because MLS does not allow that. All players, who are not in the academy system must enter the league through the draft. So, Gatt had two choices, either go to college or go to Europe. There was no pathway for him to a pro-career in the US that did not include college. And it is that way for a lot of young American players. And that's the main reason we are so inefficient at producing players.

Because the U.S doesn't have a promotion/relegation pyramid, the lower divisions in the pyramid lack stability and enough teams. In Europe a lot of young players start their careers at lower division clubs. Those clubs train up the player in hopes of selling him to a better club. They then use those transfer fees to put back into youth development. That doesn't happen in the US because MLS clubs do not pay transfer fees to lower division clubs, and because they don't, our lower division clubs are not in the business of player development. We are missing one of the key components of youth development that is used in every successful soccer nation.

We are never going to become a soccer powerhouse as long as we continue to think that soccer is just like any other American sport. It's not. The best ways to structure leagues and develop players has already been figured out and we continue to ignore it at our own peril.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:26 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,703,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
We are amazing at Womens soccer, havent you heard of Elizabeth Lambert?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvEobeNfGcc

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 11-17-2013 at 09:53 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 09:59 PM

245 posts, read 255,985 times
winning a world cup and becoming a superpower in the soccer world is not easy even for the strongest. In addition you may not be a superpower for long ex: France. Spain only won the world cup in 2010.
England have the strongest league in the world but they are still a weak national side because the league is not producing good English players.
South American top teams don't have a world class league but they are producing players for European top clubs and benefit from them nationally.
There are also more limits for the US:
- Not a single Concacaf team reached a late stage in the world cup
- Concacaf limits competition because the only strong team to compete with in Concacaf is Mexico. In Europe: Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, ... South America: Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Colombia, ...
- The way the world cup went each time is Comenbol and UEFA teams dominate the competition. Sometimes a Caf, Concacaf, AFC or OFC team beat a world cup winning team or reach the Quarter/Semi final then they are praised as the surprise of the competition like: South Korea (2002), Ghana (2010)

Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 AM

7,548 posts, read 16,381,882 times
CONCACAF is weak, you should be able to walk to every world cup and thats the problem. There is no real challenge. You can play friendlies and beat a team from Europe or get a draw but I think the only team that cares and tries in those friendlies are the US.

Domestically there will have to be changes to make the league more appealing to Europeans to play in too, and I dont mean players about ready to die and coming here to take their last breath. I know youll never get Messi in his prime but you should be able to get decent European players over here and toughen the league up.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:32 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,416,596 times
I was thinking about this a couple of weeks ago...I think MLS may help Canada get better. There are two Canadian MLS teams, if they can get young players from Latin America that are not good enough to be on their country team, but better than what canada can produce (that shouldn't be too hard), Canada can improve. FIFA rules allow that.

Klinsmann is using those same rules to make the US National team better, but it doesn't really help building homegrown players.

I do follow the Chicago Fire, they are creating a developmental system that may produce players in coming years. I'm think other MLS clubs do it too, but not sure.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:26 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,285,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Getting more of our best teens into the youth sides of decent UEFA clubs would be a good start.
um you kinda forgot the foundation needed to get into uefa clubs. which is actually having kids play pick up games in the streets with their freinds and then joining amature leages before getting scouted by the local real madrid scouts(I don't know about your area but real madrid is a scouting machine down here they even have their own youth league down here where the train prospects) then they play in the local madrid league before they are thought to be good enough and get shipped to europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or