U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:16 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,740,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
France? Ecuador?

You sure about that?

France barely scrapped into the world cup. I would say France are on par with England - but they have a better recent history. They have better players overall but we all know that doesn't equate to better as a team and national side.
That's typical of the French national side who are often lacklustre in qualification like many other top tier teams around the world. But the fact is when they really needed to pull a performance out of the bag they delivered and overturned a 2-0 deficit. And considering the group was a two horse race between them and the reigning World and European Champions then I'd say their route to automatic qualification was a lot more problematic than England who made heavy work of quite an easy group by comparison.

Even so, scraping through qualification is hardly an accurate indicator of how a nation will perform once they get to the World Cup itself. Germany lost 5-1 at home to England in qualifying for the 2002 World Cup and had an abysmal record leading up to the tournament yet made it all the way to the final.

Likewise Argentina's record leading up to the 1990 World Cup was abysmal yet again they made it all the way to a very scrappy, ill tempered and underwhelming final with Germany which they lost 1-0.

France won the 1998 World Cup and followed that victory with a European Championship victory. England, despite some blistering performances in qualifying (4-1 away at Yugoslavia 1988, 5-1 in Munich) never seem to peak when the major tournaments arrive and that is the ultimate aim, to peak when it really matters.

England are on a par with Croatia, slightly less capable than Portugal and certainly not as good a team as France. Second round exit beckons in Brazil for the three lions I'm afraid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:07 AM

7,811 posts, read 6,639,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Show me all the stuff they won in the 80 years.
Which particular competitions are you talking about??

Old 12-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Which particular competitions are you talking about??
They did win the Rous Cup three times Rous Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But then there were only two teams in the competition, England and Scotland. Sometimes a third was added just for the fun of it but the one time they invited Brazil they rudely insulted their hosts by winning this competition too.

They were never asked back again. The short lived trophy was abandoned in 1989 due to crowd trouble.

Old 12-03-2013, 06:47 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
That was my point, very successful 80 years but won nothing. Which doesnt really add up to success.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
That was my point, very successful 80 years but won nothing. Which doesnt really add up to success.
They were unbeaten at home for about 80 years, if there was such a thing as a 'world cup' at that time I am sure they would have won it, all I am saying is you cant just discount 80+ years of international football as irrelevant, you said in a previous post that the English team has 'never' exactly been a powerhouse - all I am saying is that as you can see this is not strictly true!!

Old 12-03-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
They were unbeaten at home for about 80 years, if there was such a thing as a 'world cup' at that time I am sure they would have won it, all I am saying is you cant just discount 80+ years of international football as irrelevant, you said in a previous post that the English team has 'never' exactly been a powerhouse - all I am saying is that as you can see this is not strictly true!!

Their first performance in a World Cup would seem to suggest otherwise

Team Pld W D L GF GA Pts
Spain 3 3 0 0 6 1 6
England 3 1 0 2 2 2 2
Chile 3 1 0 2 5 6 2
US of A 3 1 0 2 4 8 2
(United States of amateur footballers that is. who beat the mighty English 1-0)

Old 12-03-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fear&Whiskey View Post
Their first performance in a World Cup would seem to suggest otherwise

Team Pld W D L GF GA Pts
Spain 3 3 0 0 6 1 6
England 3 1 0 2 2 2 2
Chile 3 1 0 2 5 6 2
US of A 3 1 0 2 4 8 2
(United States of amateur footballers that is. who beat the mighty English 1-0)
This still has nothing to do with the first 80 years or so of international football though does it?

Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
This still has nothing to do with the first 80 years or so of international football though does it?
Nope apparently the Celts were winning the the first contested World Cup final but it was an intense, rough and tumble international with a few studded battle axes flying in. 31 mortally wounded on the pitch and 55 heads mounted on pitchforks by half-time.

60 minutes gone and the Celts were 4-1 up but then the Vikings sailed off with the ball .As well as half the village silver. The swines.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,391,198 times
rofl

Old 12-05-2013, 09:01 AM

1,173 posts, read 1,674,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fear&whiskey View Post
nope apparently the celts were winning the the first contested world cup final but it was an intense, rough and tumble international with a few studded battle axes flying in. 31 mortally wounded on the pitch and 55 heads mounted on pitchforks by half-time.

60 minutes gone and the celts were 4-1 up but then the vikings sailed off with the ball .as well as half the village silver. The swines.
lol!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer