U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 11:21 AM

245 posts, read 256,319 times

Advertisements

I think if the MLS implemented relegation other sports will follow. Most cities want NFL, NHL, MLB,...etc expansions in their cities and without relocating any other team they can have their own team as an addition. I think this idea will get acceptance especially from giant corporate team owners
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:50 PM

886 posts, read 1,925,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I'm not convinced playoffs are the answer for MLS, but while the EPL doesn't have playoffs, they have entry into the Champions League & Europa, which is a huge deal. It keeps teams fighting as the season goes on. multiple spots are up for grabs. MLS has CCL, but no one cares about it (did anyone know there is a round tomorrow?), probably due to lack of real money won through entry. I would think it would be a bigger deal, as if the US could consistently beat the Mexican teams, it would show growth for the MLS.

Anyway, playoffs is a way for more teams to keep playing for something as the season goes on. So, it seems to make sense at this time, but I wouldn't care if it went away in place of a real international competition. My opinion.
Disagree that no one cares about CCL. I was at the Sporting KC game v. Cruz Azul, it was awesome, and a sell out crowd. SKC and Cruz Azul both fielded starters. And yesterday both MLS teams beat the Mexican teams.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I always thought something like a post season cup would be better than what we have now too. You have Supporters Shield who has most points which they say is the equivalent of winning the league. Its absolutely not though. When you are playing one team three times and another once there is no way to say who the best was that season.

We have 19 teams in the league with 3 more coming making 22. That's a 42 game season right there. Thats a really long league season but doable. The problem is MLS wants to add God knows how many more teams to MLS and there would be absolutely no way to have a league format going over 22 teams without having a promotion relegation. I am all for that but thats another bag of beans to open and I doubt many more teams would pay 100 million to join MLS to be put in the 2nd tier. The only way MLS can have a league is to do it now or they can never do it.

As for the CCL. There is just no money in it at all. Below is the money they are supposed to get for CCL participation.
CONCACAF Champions League
Group stage qualification: $35,000
Group stage victory: $3,500
Quarterfinal advancement: $30,000
Semifinal advancement: $35,000
Finals advancement: $40,000
Champions League champion: $42,500

So using Donavon for an example, he earns 2.4 million a year and if you do your best in CCL and win you get a total of $186,000. So if Donavon gets injured hes screwed. I wouldn't risk my best players for CCL against some team from Guatemala earning pennies who don't know how to tackle and risk Donavon breaking his leg. As little a MLS pays out in prize money its still even more than CCL. My point being that is CCL wants all the top players to play and all the teams to put in best effort they need to get prize money from somewhere to make it attractive.

I treat CCL the same as I treat the US Open. I hope we dont play our best players and nobody gets injured and if we lose we lose. Both are Mickey Mouse tournaments.
CCL is a Mickey Mouse tournament? Winning CCL is bigger then winning MLS Cup. Just like the important thing from winning USOC is the CCL Berth, the important thing from winning CCL is participating in FIFA Club World Cup. Just making that brings national exposure and a lot more money.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:25 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,398,736 times
You mean the World Club Cup that nobody cares about ? Brings national exposure ? How so ? I dont know anybody in America that watches the World Club Cup so there goes the national exposure. I grew up in Ireland and I know nobody in that neck of the woods really cares about the World Club Cup either.

Weve had discussions here about the World Club Cup, fairly recently too. The only people that seemed to care about it where from SA. Look for the thread.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You mean the World Club Cup that nobody cares about ? Brings national exposure ? How so ? I dont know anybody in America that watches the World Club Cup so there goes the national exposure. I grew up in Ireland and I know nobody in that neck of the woods really cares about the World Club Cup either.

Weve had discussions here about the World Club Cup, fairly recently too. The only people that seemed to care about it where from SA. Look for the thread.
FIFA Club World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MLS ratings for ESPN average 220k viewers, and NBCSN averages around 110k viewers, compared with Premier League ratings getting 300-450k viewers. The 2013 FIFA Club World Cup final averaged over 2 million viewers in the US. I'd say that's good exposure, not to mention that is only in the US, it is broadcast in over 70 countries. I'd say for MLS teams to regularly win CCL and make it there, would be a pretty big deal.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:17 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,423,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
Disagree that no one cares about CCL. I was at the Sporting KC game v. Cruz Azul, it was awesome, and a sell out crowd. SKC and Cruz Azul both fielded starters. And yesterday both MLS teams beat the Mexican teams.
I want to care about the CCL, I like the concept. Unfortunately I watched a few early round games and there were about 50 people in the stands of some of the games...it was horrible with no atmosphere. There were also reserves in those games. Maybe eliminate some of the games or something, or make it so they can win real money. Something.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrizzle View Post
FIFA Club World Cup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MLS ratings for ESPN average 220k viewers, and NBCSN averages around 110k viewers, compared with Premier League ratings getting 300-450k viewers. The 2013 FIFA Club World Cup final averaged over 2 million viewers in the US. I'd say that's good exposure, not to mention that is only in the US, it is broadcast in over 70 countries. I'd say for MLS teams to regularly win CCL and make it there, would be a pretty big deal.
The final got 2 mill cause Bayern was in it. I highly doubt anybody watched Monterrey vs Al Ahly. I stand by what I said, nobody really cares about it.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I want to care about the CCL, I like the concept. Unfortunately I watched a few early round games and there were about 50 people in the stands of some of the games...it was horrible with no atmosphere. There were also reserves in those games. Maybe eliminate some of the games or something, or make it so they can win real money. Something.

Where were the games at? I watched the away games, and yeah the stands sucked in the group stage at away games, but I went to the SKC games, I was at the game vs Cruz Azul Wednesday night as well, and it was completely sold out.

Reserves is the group stage is normal. It's like the US Open cup first games, it's always reserves. I do think they should win more money, I can't believe how little it is. I think the reason no one shows up for the group stage is usually the US and Mexican teams win, but they don't face each other in the group stage... so no one cares about seeing Sporting KC v Real Esteli or games like that. The home games at Sporting Park for the group stage of CCL both sold out, but soccer is huge here as well.

Last edited by skrizzle; 03-14-2014 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
The final got 2 mill cause Bayern was in it. I highly doubt anybody watched Monterrey vs Al Ahly. I stand by what I said, nobody really cares about it.

I can't go back any further but it's averaged 2 million in the finals since 2010 in the US. You can stand by what you said, but ratings show you are wrong. For MLS teams who average 220k to 110k per game depending on the channel, it would be a pretty big deal to get 2 million, plus as I said broadcast in over 70 countries.

For teams limited by a salary cap, the exposure that it brings, plus a 6th place finish brings 1 million, first place 5 million (compared to US Open cup which brings $250k)

I don't know, maybe it's a eurosnob thing. I'm a proud MLS fan, and enjoy going to games and watching them on TV.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:57 AM

If Utd played Barca in a friendly in Dallas and it was on TV it would get similar TV ratings. Its just the name of the team that people watch. Show me the TV figures that where not the final and ones htat didnt contain Bayern and then you will see nobody actually cares about CCL.

I never did get the eurosnob comments people throw out there ... I too am a proud MLS fan, ive had MLS Live for a number of years. I am not a glory hunter and only watch big games, I watch many poor leagues because I love footblall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer