U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2014, 07:12 AM

886 posts, read 1,926,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
If Utd played Barca in a friendly in Dallas and it was on TV it would get similar TV ratings. Its just the name of the team that people watch. Show me the TV figures that where not the final and ones htat didnt contain Bayern and then you will see nobody actually cares about CCL.

I never did get the eurosnob comments people throw out there ... I too am a proud MLS fan, ive had MLS Live for a number of years. I am not a glory hunter and only watch big games, I watch many poor leagues because I love footblall.
I should be more specific, I wasn't calling you a eurosnob, I'm referring to TV ratings here in the US. I have several friends who don't watch MLS, but watch EPL games, and yeah it's huge when those teams come for friendlies.

I can't find figures for the games that are not the final, so I don't know, but I would agree that they probably didn't have very high ratings. I still think it's important for an MLS team to win CCL and if they could reach the final for club cup, it would bring a lot of attention to the MLS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 07:41 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,406,753 times
I figured you weren't saying it to me I meant the term in general. I have friends that exclusively watch BPL and other European leagues but I cant blame them as they are better to watch than MLS. The setup's are more traditional league wise etc. I have converted many to MLS too though, it just takes time.

Old 03-14-2014, 07:51 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I'm not convinced playoffs are the answer for MLS, but while the EPL doesn't have playoffs, they have entry into the Champions League & Europa, which is a huge deal. It keeps teams fighting as the season goes on. multiple spots are up for grabs. MLS has CCL, but no one cares about it (did anyone know there is a round tomorrow?), probably due to lack of real money won through entry. I would think it would be a bigger deal, as if the US could consistently beat the Mexican teams, it would show growth for the MLS.

Anyway, playoffs is a way for more teams to keep playing for something as the season goes on. So, it seems to make sense at this time, but I wouldn't care if it went away in place of a real international competition. My opinion.
You could not have playoffs in the EPL or La Liga for example. As it stands now, clubs in those countries already play a ton of matches. Look at Manchester City for example. They have their 38 league matches, plus the UEFA Champions League, the FA Cup and the League Cup. You throw another 4-8 matches for playoffs and it becomes too much. The season would be running into June and that would be wayyyy too long.

Gaining entry into the UEFA Champions League, or the UEFA Europa League is already incentive enough and enough playoff exposure for the European clubs. Not to mention they also take part in their country's domestic Cup too.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:03 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,426,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
You could not have playoffs in the EPL or La Liga for example. As it stands now, clubs in those countries already play a ton of matches. Look at Manchester City for example. They have their 38 league matches, plus the UEFA Champions League, the FA Cup and the League Cup. You throw another 4-8 matches for playoffs and it becomes too much. The season would be running into June and that would be wayyyy too long.

Gaining entry into the UEFA Champions League, or the UEFA Europa League is already incentive enough and enough playoff exposure for the European clubs. Not to mention they also take part in their country's domestic Cup too.
Yeah, i agree with this, my point was the MLS doesn't have anything cool like the Uefa Champions League, so I think playoffs still have a place in the USA. It definitely wouldn't make sense in EPL, La Liga, etc. I would like them to set up the structure for future changes as the league developes more.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:58 PM

255 posts, read 324,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, i agree with this, my point was the MLS doesn't have anything cool like the Uefa Champions League, so I think playoffs still have a place in the USA. It definitely wouldn't make sense in EPL, La Liga, etc. I would like them to set up the structure for future changes as the league developes more.
I think the Concacaf Champions League games are pretty cool. I'd much rather watch LA Galaxy vs Tijuana than LA Galaxy vs Houston.

One problem with the CCL is that the money is so poor. But the basic problems are marketing and scheduling. The CCL has a very confusing schedule. The CCL final will be in March and then CCL group stage starts again.

If you held the qualifying matches throughout the season and then had the CCL final taking place two weeks after the end of the MLS season it would be an easier tournament to follow.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:58 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,713,151 times
Quote:
Instead by 2020 we're going to have a soccer league that is still not going to be accepted by the vast majority of soccer fans in this country who are being cultured into the sport through Europe and South America.

To put it simply. They (MLS) are doing it wrong.
You know maybe a little history might help them figure this all out? You know the EPL started somewhere. Surely it wasn't the league it is today. But you have to figure that it did come to a point where players, teams and management all coalesced to develop arguably the greatest league in the world. I don't know exactly what that tipping point was. But something happened. What was it that brought in the best international players? Anything to England's developmental efforts both within the country and outside of it? Was team relegation and fight for promotion key? No doubt there are clues.

Of course, MLS has improved but this is something that needs to be nurtured and built and will take time. I recall England thought they knew a good deal about football at one time way back in the 50's. That is until they met up with a particular team that blew them up petty bad. They were stunned. Kind of made them what they are today I think. Perhaps MLS could take a page and perhaps erect a league better than the EPL. But of course it will take hard hard work!

And with all this I'm curious how US developmental efforts are going starting from the grass roots. Gotta have the fish to keep the fishin' first rate...Would be nice to have other clubs view for 'those great American players'.....;-)....

Old 04-05-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know maybe a little history might help them figure this all out? You know the EPL started somewhere. Surely it wasn't the league it is today. But you have to figure that it did come to a point where players, teams and management all coalesced to develop arguably the greatest league in the world. I don't know exactly what that tipping point was. But something happened. What was it that brought in the best international players? Anything to England's developmental efforts both within the country and outside of it? Was team relegation and fight for promotion key? No doubt there are clues.

Of course, MLS has improved but this is something that needs to be nurtured and built and will take time. I recall England thought they knew a good deal about football at one time way back in the 50's. That is until they met up with a particular team that blew them up petty bad. They were stunned. Kind of made them what they are today I think. Perhaps MLS could take a page and perhaps erect a league better than the EPL. But of course it will take hard hard work!

And with all this I'm curious how US developmental efforts are going starting from the grass roots. Gotta have the fish to keep the fishin' first rate...Would be nice to have other clubs view for 'those great American players'.....;-)....
European club football changed dramatically when the Euro Zone went into affect. Prior to that the 1st tier of English football was mostly British players. The European Union changed everything. Leagues were competing for players more than they were ever before. The 1st division became the English Premier League. The FA tackled its hooligan problem. The EPL began its marketing push and started to brand its league as the most exciting in the world.

Promotion and relegation has been key to the development of football in every country that plays the sport seriously. What would have happened to football in England if they shut out the rest of English clubs when they founded the EPL? They would never have considered such a thing because it would have been the death of English football. The clubs in the lower leagues would eventually just gone under. Without a chance for promotion there would be little to play for. Fans would lose interest.

There is a reason that 99% of soccer leagues on the planet (okay, maybe its 95%) use the promotion/relegation system. Good ideas get copied. Bad ones don't.

The longer the MLS and American soccer go without recognizing that promotion/relegation is the best way to grow the sport of soccer in this country, the longer we have to wait until soccer breaks through. And the longer we have to wait for our national team to become a power house.

This is what frustrates so many soccer fans in the U.S. We have a soccer league being run by ex-NFL guys with no soccer DNA. They don't understand the sport. Instead of a long term vision to develop a proper soccer pyramid they are much more concerned with creating a league that protects the owners from the pitfalls of relegation. Hey, that's great for the 20 or so owners that get to be part of this scheme. But it sucks for the growth of soccer in this country.

Old 04-06-2014, 10:37 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,488,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
European club football changed dramatically when the Euro Zone went into affect. Prior to that the 1st tier of English football was mostly British players. The European Union changed everything. Leagues were competing for players more than they were ever before. The 1st division became the English Premier League. The FA tackled its hooligan problem. The EPL began its marketing push and started to brand its league as the most exciting in the world.

Promotion and relegation has been key to the development of football in every country that plays the sport seriously. What would have happened to football in England if they shut out the rest of English clubs when they founded the EPL? They would never have considered such a thing because it would have been the death of English football. The clubs in the lower leagues would eventually just gone under. Without a chance for promotion there would be little to play for. Fans would lose interest.

There is a reason that 99% of soccer leagues on the planet (okay, maybe its 95%) use the promotion/relegation system. Good ideas get copied. Bad ones don't.

The longer the MLS and American soccer go without recognizing that promotion/relegation is the best way to grow the sport of soccer in this country, the longer we have to wait until soccer breaks through. And the longer we have to wait for our national team to become a power house.

This is what frustrates so many soccer fans in the U.S. We have a soccer league being run by ex-NFL guys with no soccer DNA. They don't understand the sport. Instead of a long term vision to develop a proper soccer pyramid they are much more concerned with creating a league that protects the owners from the pitfalls of relegation. Hey, that's great for the 20 or so owners that get to be part of this scheme. But it sucks for the growth of soccer in this country.
The MLS has to do something when it comes to the conferences alignments. There will be three new franchises joining the MLS the next couple of years and they are all on the East Coast. If the MLS doesn't do anything, there will be too many teams in one conference. The MLS has to move a couple of those teams to the Western Conference. Houston and Kansas city makes the most sense in my opinion. Moving Houston to the Western Conference will strengthen the state rivalry with Dallas.

Old 04-07-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The MLS has to do something when it comes to the conferences alignments. There will be three new franchises joining the MLS the next couple of years and they are all on the East Coast. If the MLS doesn't do anything, there will be too many teams in one conference. The MLS has to move a couple of those teams to the Western Conference. Houston and Kansas city makes the most sense in my opinion. Moving Houston to the Western Conference will strengthen the state rivalry with Dallas.
I don't understand why a single table is not the solution. This is how the sport is played all over the globe. You have a league table.

There's just no point to conferences. Having two separate tables only makes sense if you only play teams in your table.

Soccer is not the NFL.

Old 04-07-2014, 03:25 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,288,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
The NFL is king in the United States. I think the logic is fans have to be converted over to soccer and MLS. That is best done by giving them some elements they recognize as you cross them over. Personally, I think playoffs make no sense in soccer. But I think having playoffs and regional conferences (Western & Eastern) is an admission by MLS brass that they can't pull interest from international fans. They have to drum it up domestically. So they give the domestic audience a little of what they are used to.

Is it working? I'm not sure. No one watches it on TV. But I can still go to a Galaxy game for $20 a ticket. I'm making plans to take my daughter to a game in a couple of weeks. But MLS won't make much money selling $20 tickets. The money in sports today is in TV. So they have to figure that part out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer