U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM

6,988 posts, read 9,088,200 times

Advertisements

Games like Portland-Seattle will reform the league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:23 PM

8,485 posts, read 10,503,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
I don't understand why a single table is not the solution. This is how the sport is played all over the globe. You have a league table.

There's just no point to conferences. Having two separate tables only makes sense if you only play teams in your table.

Soccer is not the NFL.
You do understand that the MLS is located in North America right? Why on Earth would you think a league table would work? Just because something works in other parts of the world doesn't mean that it will be automatically successful in the Unites States.

Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 AM

255 posts, read 325,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You do understand that the MLS is located in North America right? Why on Earth would you think a league table would work? Just because something works in other parts of the world doesn't mean that it will be automatically successful in the Unites States.
it works every where on the planet where soccer is played. Soccer is a global game. American soccer fans watch the EPL. It's irrelevant that other American leagues divide their leagues up into conferences. Those are different sports.

Why on earth would you have a split table? It makes zero sense. It makes it difficult to follow the season. You need a balanced schedule and one table in soccer.

No wonder MLS gets beat in the TV ratings by the WNBA.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,120,962 times
Aren't Soccer fans different to NFL fans, the American soccer fans seem to have taken to the ''football culture'' well from what I have seen - I think relegation etc would work, and you never know the rest of America might see something in it!

Old 04-08-2014, 10:06 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,419,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Aren't Soccer fans different to NFL fans, the American soccer fans seem to have taken to the ''football culture'' well from what I have seen - I think relegation etc would work, and you never know the rest of America might see something in it!
They are different, its almost like people get offended when you talk about having one league with promo and relegation. Ive given up talking to people at this stage about it. MLS is run by NFL guys so unless they go we wont have one league. They try to mention Supporters Shield as the equivalent of winning the league, but that's not possible as you can play one team three times and another once. You can tell the best from that.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
it works every where on the planet where soccer is played. Soccer is a global game. American soccer fans watch the EPL. It's irrelevant that other American leagues divide their leagues up into conferences. Those are different sports.
The MLS is still a North American sports league. There is no getting around that basic fact. Their are certain tendencies that transcend across all American sports.

Quote:
Why on earth would you have a split table? It makes zero sense. It makes it difficult to follow the season. You need a balanced schedule and one table in soccer.
Conferences/split tables work just fine in every major American sports league and that includes soccer. I don't think most American soccer fans would even want a single table for the MLS. Believe it or not but having a single table for the MLS would probably hurt rivalries between teams.

Quote:
No wonder MLS gets beat in the TV ratings by the WNBA.
I don't think it's that bad but the MLS does needs better TV coverage. Instead of networks like NBC Sports and ESPN wasting money by showing the English Premier League on television so much, they should be putting a much stronger focus on promoting the MLS product. The ratings aren't even that great for the EPL when it comes to American viewers. The MLS has much more potential for TV viewership as Americans sports fans prefer to watch domestic teams over foreign teams.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They are different, its almost like people get offended when you talk about having one league with promo and relegation. Ive given up talking to people at this stage about it. MLS is run by NFL guys so unless they go we wont have one league. They try to mention Supporters Shield as the equivalent of winning the league, but that's not possible as you can play one team three times and another once. You can tell the best from that.
I think what you fail to understand is that the sports culture in the United States is different from the rest of the World. Soccer isn't the most popular sport in this country. You can't just apply the international sports culture and practices to the MLS and think that it will automatically succeed. You have to adapt the league to American sports culture if it's going to be successful. Having a single table for the MLS would be a disaster as it goes against American sports culture and practices.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 AM

255 posts, read 325,014 times
Quote:
The MLS is still a North American sports league. There is no getting around that basic fact. Their are certain tendencies that transcend across all American sports.
No there aren't. Show your work. Where's the data?

Quote:
Conferences/split tables work just fine in every major American sports league and that includes soccer. I don't think most American soccer fans would even want a single table for the MLS. Believe it or not but having a single table for the MLS would probably hurt rivalries between teams.

I don't think it's that bad but the MLS does needs better TV coverage. Instead of networks like NBC Sports and ESPN wasting money by showing the English Premier League on television so much, they should be putting a much stronger focus on promoting the MLS product. The ratings aren't even that great for the EPL when it comes to American viewers. The MLS has much more potential for TV viewership as Americans sports fans prefer to watch domestic teams over foreign teams.
lmao. Wasting money? The EPL is getting great TV ratings. NBC is rolling in the dough.

Meanwhile MLS gets beat by the WNBA.

Having a single table hasn't hurt rivalries in any other soccer league on the planet. Again, everything you're saying is refuted by actual facts and by actual real data on how the sport of soccer finds success all over the world.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I think what you fail to understand is that the sports culture in the United States is different from the rest of the World. Soccer isn't the most popular sport in this country. You can't just apply the international sports culture and practices to the MLS and think that it will automatically succeed. You have to adapt the league to American sports culture if it's going to be successful. Having a single table for the MLS would be a disaster as it goes against American sports culture and practices.
I do know the sports culture in the US. I think that what you fail to see is that more people in the US watch football in Europe than they do MLS. Those same fans would be more inclined to watch MLS if the setup wasnt such a joke with forced rivalry's and two conferences.

It would be far from a disaster to have a league, more people would embrace MLS if they did. MLS is trying too hard to be something its not, and thats the NFL. I know of very few (actually its mainly people here) that think a confernce setup is better than a league format in MLS.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
No there aren't. Show your work. Where's the data?

lmao. Wasting money? The EPL is getting great TV ratings. NBC is rolling in the dough.

Meanwhile MLS gets beat by the WNBA.

Having a single table hasn't hurt rivalries in any other soccer league on the planet. Again, everything you're saying is refuted by actual facts and by actual real data on how the sport of soccer finds success all over the world.
I agree with everything you said pretty much. Playing a team twice will increase rivalry IMHO. All that we have here is forced rivalry's which I dont buy into. Colorado are supposed to hate Fake Salt Lake and we have the whole 3 game thing with some boring made up cup as a prize. Outside of actually wanting 9 points there is nothing much to hate about FSL, they're just too boring to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer