U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 11:19 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,290,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartleby9 View Post
No there aren't. Show your work. Where's the data?
I think he/she is referencing the other big sports leagues in the United States. They all have divisions/conferences of some sort. The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all have their championships decided by two teams from two different divisions (conferences/leagues). I think it speaks to the historical regional differences here in the States. For someone on the outside looking in it doesn't make sense. But the United States is very regionally diverse and fairly large geographically. The Northeast, the Southeast, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Mid Atlantic, and West Coast all have their own regional identities and histories. It makes sense to group teams by region here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 11:34 AM

8,488 posts, read 10,507,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think he/she is referencing the other big sports leagues in the United States. They all have divisions/conferences of some sort. The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB all have their championships decided by two teams from two different divisions (conferences/leagues). I think it speaks to the historical regional differences here in the States. For someone on the outside looking in it doesn't make sense. But the United States is very regionally diverse and fairly large geographically. The Northeast, the Southeast, Southwest, Pacific Northwest, Mid Atlantic, and West Coast all have their own regional identities and histories. It makes sense to group teams by region here.
Exactly! American sports is very regional given it's large geographic size. All of the major league sports have separate conferences and divisions. I do think those posters are looking at improving the MLS from "outsider perspective looking in" as oppose to seeing American sports for what it actually is.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
lmao. Wasting money? The EPL is getting great TV ratings. NBC is rolling in the dough.

Meanwhile MLS gets beat by the WNBA.

Having a single table hasn't hurt rivalries in any other soccer league on the planet. Again, everything you're saying is refuted by actual facts and by actual real data on how the sport of soccer finds success all over the world.
That's largely because the MLS has bad TV coverage. American networks promote foreign soccer leagues over domestic soccer leagues and it's hurting the MLS brand. So you can't be really be that surprised about why the MLS isn't doing as well as it should. You will never go to England and see the MLS or any other foreign sports league having higher priority over their domestic English Premier League.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:49 AM

7,552 posts, read 16,422,693 times
Because the English game is a MUCH better product than MLS. Not just skills wise but overall, leagues and cups. Its what the fans want. There is no better league out there to promote over the English league.

Anyways there is a new TV deal next season for MLS so well see what that brings.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I do know the sports culture in the US. I think that what you fail to see is that more people in the US watch football in Europe than they do MLS. Those same fans would be more inclined to watch MLS if the setup wasnt such a joke with forced rivalry's and two conferences.
There are already great rivalries in the MLS.

Portland Timbers vs. Seattle Sounders
Toronto FC vs. Montreal Impact
New York Red Bulls vs Philadelphia Union
DC United vs. Boston Revolution
Houston Dynamo vs. FC Dallas

Quote:
It would be far from a disaster to have a league, more people would embrace MLS if they did. MLS is trying too hard to be something its not, and thats the NFL. I know of very few (actually its mainly people here) that think a confernce setup is better than a league format in MLS.
How is the MLS trying to be like the NFL? I don't get why some of you posters keep saying this.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:59 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,433,343 times
I was talking with someone about the NBA and I was pointing out the major flaw in their system, which is a bonus for being bad (draft pick). NBA owners know the fastest way to become good is to be bad first. Promotion/relegation has no bonus for being bad, it has a major negative factor.

The first obstacle in the MLS getting to promotion/relegation is that all these owners paid into the MLS system with no relegation. Millions of dollars that the MLS couldn't give back at this point.

The second obstacle is that you don't really win anything for 2nd place...no awesome Champions League (just the CCL where they don't make much $) that drives a whole bunch more revenue into the team, which can be used to buy better players.

I like promotion/relgation, but there are a lot of things to be ironed out before it could actually happen.

Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

3,851 posts, read 3,987,185 times
Quote:
it works every where on the planet where soccer is played. Soccer is a global game. American soccer fans watch the EPL. It's irrelevant that other American leagues divide their leagues up into conferences. Those are different sports.

Why on earth would you have a split table? It makes zero sense. It makes it difficult to follow the season. You need a balanced schedule and one table in soccer.

No wonder MLS gets beat in the TV ratings by the WNBA.
Bartleby9 is over on the basketball forum suggesting promotion/relegation for the NBA!!!!

Just about kills any credibility he could have on any other sport I think...

Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM

358 posts, read 361,135 times
I have no desire to see my team being relegated to a minor league just for having a bad season.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:11 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,122,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete. View Post
I have no desire to see my team being relegated to a minor league just for having a bad season.
Lol, well get good then!

And supporting your team while in the lower leagues is what football is all about ........ true supporters.

Old 04-10-2014, 01:25 PM

358 posts, read 361,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Lol, well get good then!

And supporting your team while in the lower leagues is what football is all about ........ true supporters.
A team that is moved down to a lesser league will suffer dramatically by lower game attendance and a loss of TV time. That's not desirable by the team and its fans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer