U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,499,858 times
Reputation: 1212

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Look, I know you think that soccer should be treated differently in the states, but that idea just wouldn't work.

New York could only get away with 2 teams. You could barely have 3, but that 3rd would have to be New Jersey's team. Unlike England, there are waaaaaaaay too many major cities here for one city to have 3 or 4 teams regardless of what sport it is.
That's not an argument. You're stating something which you think is true and then not providing any evidence.

Look at how soccer is structured everywhere in the world. And then tell me why you think that same structure would not work in the United States. Community based clubs is what works. Not franchises. Look at Japan and how that league has flourished ever since they looked to Europe and copied the community based clubs structure. The J-League had its skeptics, people said it wouldn't work. Japan, for decades structured their leagues in a totally different way. Well, it has been a huge success. Tokyo has four football clubs in their pro/rel pyramid and the founder of the J-League has set a goal of 20 clubs in Tokyo.

Tokyo has 8.9 million people compared to NYC's 8.3 million but with NYC borough's it has the ideal geography for community based clubs. Is soccer more popular in Japan than it is in New York? Possibly, but it wasn't until recently, and it was the implementation of the community based clubs model that started Japan's soccer ascendency. The same could be done here and NYC is perfect for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
Reputation: 5800
Single table. No playoffs.

For extra games the MLS can help promote the fantastic US Open Cup. Folks with a taste for playoff format can get it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 PM
 
Location: M I N N E S O T A
14,800 posts, read 17,710,950 times
Reputation: 9029
The House of Representatives will need to pass immigration reform.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 11:30 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
That's not an argument. You're stating something which you think is true and then not providing any evidence.
And this entire thread is just wishful thinking and suggestions. Doesn't mean that they will happen.

Several people are already complaining about NYC's SECOND team right now as the 20th club for MLS, and even worse, they're not going to be the Cosmos. Considering what happens in this country, would it surprise you if people actually went out to sue what ever owners decided to put a 3rd club in ANY one city, regardless of where it was?

Major League Soccer doesn't have community based clubs and never will, especially if it keeps growing the way it is now. That stopped in America decades ago and they all went to the market based franchise structure we have now. If the day ever comes when the MLS can consider itself one of the biggest money makers in major pro American sports, don't think for one second that your suggestion of 3-4 teams for NYC could even remotely happen, because several other cities would be clawing for those teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2013, 11:39 PM
 
Location: Under a bridge
2,423 posts, read 3,141,415 times
Reputation: 2486
I personally don't have a problem with the current MLS playoff format and I don't consider the playoff games to be boring. On the flip side, I wouldn't mind if the MLS took away the current playoff format and introduced a format that some of you proposed above in the discussion. I like the MLS and it has been interesting watching the league evolve and improve. Too many people compare MLS with other power house leagues around the world. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The MLS is a baby. The leagues in Germany, Spain, Argentina, England, Italy, Mexico, etc. have decades and decades and decades of experience and history over the MLS. It takes time. Those countries don't have other sports leagues like MLB, the NFL, the NBA and the NHL to compete against. Considering all this competition the MLS has to face the league has done a very good job in a short period of time.

GO REAL SALT LAKE!

Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 06:54 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Single table. No playoffs.

For extra games the MLS can help promote the fantastic US Open Cup. Folks with a taste for playoff format can get it here.
Where you being sarcastic about calling the US Open Cup fantastic ? I agree that it needs to be finished after the league to finish the season off but it needs to be redeveloped. Ive never watched a game and hope that Colorado lose everytime they play, being able to buy home games is a joke to me and makes the competition not worth watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
I personally don't have a problem with the current MLS playoff format and I don't consider the playoff games to be boring. On the flip side, I wouldn't mind if the MLS took away the current playoff format and introduced a format that some of you proposed above in the discussion. I like the MLS and it has been interesting watching the league evolve and improve. Too many people compare MLS with other power house leagues around the world. It's like comparing apples to oranges. The MLS is a baby. The leagues in Germany, Spain, Argentina, England, Italy, Mexico, etc. have decades and decades and decades of experience and history over the MLS. It takes time. Those countries don't have other sports leagues like MLB, the NFL, the NBA and the NHL to compete against. Considering all this competition the MLS has to face the league has done a very good job in a short period of time.

GO REAL SALT LAKE!

Cheers.
Which is why the MLS should know what works with football fans around the world, and the playoff system doesnt. Its ignorant to say these countries dont have other sports to compete with, Rugby, Cricket and other sports compete with football abroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Phoenix, AZ
4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
Reputation: 5800
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Where you being sarcastic about calling the US Open Cup fantastic ? I agree that it needs to be finished after the league to finish the season off but it needs to be redeveloped. Ive never watched a game and hope that Colorado lose everytime they play, being able to buy home games is a joke to me and makes the competition not worth watching.
Bids are placed on home games because that is how the tournament is funded. MLS and US Soccer need to back the US Open Cup. When I was a season ticket holder in Chicago, some of the best games I attended were during the '06 USOC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2013, 08:53 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,386,697 times
Reputation: 5087
Get sponsorship if you need money to fund it. Its a horrible system, maybe its just me but when you have teams buying advantages it makes me not interested. I couldnt tell you the result of a single game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2013, 08:07 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,499,858 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Single table. No playoffs.

For extra games the MLS can help promote the fantastic US Open Cup. Folks with a taste for playoff format can get it here.
well that would be my first choice and I think the first choice of American soccer fans. But, with MLS going to 24 teams its going to make that very difficult.

With two 16 team leagues where teams play a balanced schedule and only teams in their league at least we'd get a real season with two single tables with a trophy awarded to each league title winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top