U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 11:07 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,891,477 times

Advertisements

Relegate them to city league teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 07:38 AM
JJG

13,248 posts, read 19,192,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Relegate them to city league teams.
...city league teams?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times
The new TV deal was finally announced. It looks like the MLS' annual revenues went from $30/year to $90M/year.

Major League Soccer Announces New TV Deals With ESPN, Fox, Univision - Forbes

Old 05-12-2014, 02:04 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times
Thats the deal I mentioned a few weeks ago, each team is supposed to get an extra 3 million a season out of it.

Somebody must be watching it though, right ? For the value to go up that much ?

Old 05-12-2014, 02:26 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Thats the deal I mentioned a few weeks ago, each team is supposed to get an extra 3 million a season out of it.

Yeah, I remember you mentioning it, but I just saw the annoucement with some financials. Soemone does need to watch it though. A Sunday night double header might help with that.

I did watch a couple of games this weekend, which is a step up for me. The Chicago Fire finally got a local station to carry their games, and that was a ridiculous second half. If you haven't seen the highlights, check it out.

I also watched the Timbers-Galaxy game, which was pretty decent. The Galaxy can be fun to watch.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:53 PM

Tuesday is my highlight night usually, ill get to it. I love MLS Live!

I went to a bar to watch Colorado vs Chivas, I wish I had amnesia about that game ...

Old 05-12-2014, 09:16 PM

248 posts, read 259,146 times
Quote:

it includes USMNT games though which get much better ratings than MLS.

No, no one is watching MLS. The TV ratings are really bad. But it looks like ESPN/FOX etc think the ratings will improve.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 AM

I am pretty sure I read an article somewhere showing that MLS TV ratings are improving.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:19 PM

248 posts, read 259,146 times
Quote:
I am pretty sure I read an article somewhere showing that MLS TV ratings are improving.
Couldn't find it on google.

Last years MLS Cup Final was the least watched in MLS history.

TV Ratings from MLS Cup Final Reveal It Was the Least Watched in MLS History - FanSided - Sports News, Entertainment, Lifestyle & Technology - 270+ Sites

A lot of MLS's low TV ratings are its own doing. How can you get soccer fans to tune in to watch the regular season when you just put half the league into playoffs to decide your champion?

Also..their branding sucks. They don't call the final game of the MLS cup the MLS Cup Final. They call it the MLS Cup. Then they call the other games the MLS Playoffs. That's just bad branding. Ditch the word playoffs, call the tournament the MLS Cup and call the final match the MLS Cup Final.

Then separate the MLS Cup from the MLS League title. It's not hard to due but there's too much NFL influence in the MLS home office.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:06 AM

I am pretty sure I am correct on the TV viewership raising, you are right about last years MLS final. It was ridiculously bad, I usually watch but spreading the games out so far made me lose interest. As soon as Colorado where gone so was my interest. You cant drag stuff out like that and expect neutrals to still keep interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer