U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-28-2014, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,555 posts, read 16,453,038 times
Reputation: 5092

Advertisements

I tried on Paddy Power and another site and they wouldnt accept my American bank account. If it has the potential to be fun its illegal in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-28-2014, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Scotland
7,972 posts, read 10,152,233 times
Reputation: 4093
Lol. Never again. Can see how people get addicted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,555 posts, read 16,453,038 times
Reputation: 5092
I miss having a bookies next door to the pub thats for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Orange Blossom Trail
6,416 posts, read 4,878,743 times
Reputation: 2636
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Playoffs are boring, period.
Not if its one game eliminations...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2014, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,555 posts, read 16,453,038 times
Reputation: 5092
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Not if its one game eliminations...
We call them cups games. Playoffs from a long format like MLS has is boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2014, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Miami,FL
654 posts, read 612,855 times
Reputation: 715
I'm in favor of a single table league, much like the EPL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 02:58 PM
 
248 posts, read 260,966 times
Reputation: 182
I wonder what the majority of American soccer fans want when it comes to a domestic league. Within my own soccer peer group the franchise/single entity model is very disliked. Everyone I know who is a soccer fan wants a domestic league that is structured like Europe, South America, Asia (basically the rest of the world). So this means a league with clubs not franchises, a single table, promotion and relegation. There's something fake and plastic about MLS. The league owning all the teams is just anti-American.

I think its pretty apparent just by looking at the TV ratings for the MLS Cup final (and weekend games) that the majority of American soccer fans aren't fans of the league. Now, is this for reasons my friends and I reject the league? Or is it because better soccer is available on TV? Or is it a combination of both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,489 posts, read 10,543,088 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I wonder what the majority of American soccer fans want when it comes to a domestic league. Within my own soccer peer group the franchise/single entity model is very disliked. Everyone I know who is a soccer fan wants a domestic league that is structured like Europe, South America, Asia (basically the rest of the world). So this means a league with clubs not franchises, a single table, promotion and relegation. There's something fake and plastic about MLS. The league owning all the teams is just anti-American.
Most American sports fans don't want to see a single table. It doesn't work in North American sports. We don't need to follow everything the Euro league does. If you love the foreign leagues so much then move there and let the real American sports fans enjoy their MLS. Go Union!

Quote:
I think its pretty apparent just by looking at the TV ratings for the MLS Cup final (and weekend games) that the majority of American soccer fans aren't fans of the league. Now, is this for reasons my friends and I reject the league? Or is it because better soccer is available on TV? Or is it a combination of both?
The MLS is still growing just give it come time. They just recently expanded three new franchises in the Southern United States. It will help the popularity of the league as a lot of people live in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 03:47 PM
 
248 posts, read 260,966 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Most American sports fans don't want to see a single table. It doesn't work in North American sports. We don't need to follow everything the Euro league does. If you love the foreign leagues so much then move there and let the real American sports fans enjoy their MLS. Go Union!
any data to back this up?

And it doesn't work in American sports? HUH? What does that even mean? What doesn't work?

I tried to make it clear that I don't know what American soccer fans want. It's my opinion that they would be more receptive to a soccer league that is structured like the rest of the world. But thats just my opinion. But you seem to know it all, don't you? You know exactly what American soccer fans want. Good grief.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The MLS is still growing just give it come time. They just recently expanded three new franchises in the Southern United States. It will help the popularity of the league as a lot of people live in the South.
Yeah again..it remains to be seen if the franchise model will be popular with soccer. I don't think it will. I think soccer is too global and the franchise model makes the league too Americanized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2014, 04:15 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,489 posts, read 10,543,088 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
I tried to make it clear that I don't know what American soccer fans want.
Well you definitely made that part clear.

Quote:
any data to back this up?

And it doesn't work in American sports? HUH? What does that even mean? What doesn't work?

It's my opinion that they would be more receptive to a soccer league that is structured like the rest of the world. But thats just my opinion. But you seem to know it all, don't you? You know exactly what American soccer fans want. Good grief.
What's so hard to understand? Single tables don't work well at the highest level pro-sports and that includes soccer. What has worked and has been successful in all major sports leagues are conferences and divisions. It's only a matter of time before the MLS adopts divisions like the other North American sports leagues.

Quote:
Yeah again..it remains to be seen if the franchise model will be popular with soccer. I don't think it will. I think soccer is too global and the franchise model makes the league too Americanized.
It should be Americanized because it's an American sports league! America's sports culture is different from the rest of the world. Soccer isn't the most popular sport in this country and most Americans historically don't really care about the European rules or any other country for that matter when it comes their rules on soccer. Having divisions and conferences will strengthen rivalries between teams. The MLS would probably fail if they tried to copy every single thing every other country does. The MLS is an American sports league that plays in North America, not Europe, not Asia, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:49 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top