Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 03:19 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times

Advertisements

I think the single entity structure can be employed to grow out of the current way it works. The point of it is to have parity, which I generally like. It gives a chance to lesser developed markets and has the opportunity to create more interest in these markets. This structure requires owners to focus on community outreach to make money, since the main source of their revenue comes from tickets, refreshments, and if they own the stadium, use of that stadium. BUT, I do agree that the salary cap needs to increase fairly significantly, the salaries are so low for non-DP players, it is kind of ridiculous. There are guys making $40K a year, I have seen less...that's a joke.

Also, a more engaging offseason would be valuable. That's how you keep interest in off season.

I like the idea of two separate geographic leagues and then a league cup. That would be pretty sweet I think.

Relegation would be awesome, but not sure how that would work for the current investors in MLS. That could be hard to work out.

Another way to grow the league would be to make the Concacaf Champions League to be more valuable. You do that through money. Make it so teams can win millions of dollars by winning the CCL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,402,183 times
BS fixtures, play San Jose and Fake Salt Lake 3 times but only Houston once. This is why the league is BS. Fake made up rivalry and crap fixtures like this.

Old 12-07-2013, 10:05 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I think the single entity structure can be employed to grow out of the current way it works. The point of it is to have parity, which I generally like. It gives a chance to lesser developed markets and has the opportunity to create more interest in these markets. This structure requires owners to focus on community outreach to make money, since the main source of their revenue comes from tickets, refreshments, and if they own the stadium, use of that stadium. BUT, I do agree that the salary cap needs to increase fairly significantly, the salaries are so low for non-DP players, it is kind of ridiculous. There are guys making $40K a year, I have seen less...that's a joke.

Also, a more engaging offseason would be valuable. That's how you keep interest in off season.

I like the idea of two separate geographic leagues and then a league cup. That would be pretty sweet I think.

Relegation would be awesome, but not sure how that would work for the current investors in MLS. That could be hard to work out.

Another way to grow the league would be to make the Concacaf Champions League to be more valuable. You do that through money. Make it so teams can win millions of dollars by winning the CCL.
the problem is, you can't have a more engaging off season without free agency. And you can't have free agency within the single entity model.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:13 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
the problem is, you can't have a more engaging off season without free agency. And you can't have free agency within the single entity model.
Yeah, I understand, but maybe if they lossened up some of the rules of the single entity. I'm not sure why the league is required to negotiate salaries. They can set slots that teams need to stay within, or the salary cap should be enough of a guard rail to control spend.

Minimum salaries, plus a salary cap would set guardrails teams play within financially. Then have a limited free agency within that.

Example rules that aren't way out of line with today's world: The first 20 players (DP count $500K towards the cap) can add up to no more than $3.5M, the minimum salary is $50K. You get bonuses for winning the Supporter Shield ($300K), making the play-offs ($150K), and making the Concacaf Champs League ($150K) that can be used towards salaries, facilities, or player development. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:31 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Put it this way if Toronto get Defoe they will have the best striker in central or north America. He is a deadly finisher and can still play for 95% of Europe's clubs and score 20 plus goals a season.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:00 AM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Single table. No playoffs.
You do understand that the MLS is in North America right? Not having a playoff system would hurt the league tremendously.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Put it this way if Toronto get Defoe they will have the best striker in central or north America. He is a deadly finisher and can still play for 95% of Europe's clubs and score 20 plus goals a season.
I dunno, Keane is still pretty badass here. DeFoe will have to adjust to getting the ****e knocked out of him too and the heat.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You do understand that the MLS is in North America right? Not having a playoff system would hurt the league tremendously.
They playoff as it stands hurts the league. Theyre boring. If your team isnt in it there is no point watching as theyre dragged on and on. The fans I hang with would rather see a league and not a playoff system

Old 12-09-2013, 11:58 AM

50 posts, read 101,967 times
I wonder if you know that MLS attendances are climbing every season, and they are with a quite respectful almost-19 thousand-average, which means that MLS is the second League in the World outside Europe with better attendances?

MLS is the 3rd US outdoor League with better attendances. There are as much people interested in seeing live MLS than in France, a world champion country, for instance. So, i don't think everything is bad.

The only thing i could agree with is MLS is not making great revenues and is not having tv rankings.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,989,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
They playoff as it stands hurts the league. Theyre boring. If your team isnt in it there is no point watching as theyre dragged on and on. The fans I hang with would rather see a league and not a playoff system
Of course the MLS playoff system could use a lot of improvement but simply getting rid of it would not help the league. Just because something works well in Europe doesn't mean it would automatically work well in the United States. Fans in the US look forward to having their teams in the playoffs. That goes across pretty much every major sport in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer