U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:26 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Do you blame people for not liking MLS when its run by the same types that love to control and sanitize every other sport in this country. People watch Euro games cus it's not a passive take your kid out for a hot dog, middle class kinda thing. They're pretty intense games.
Once the league gets better TV contracts, the MLS will grow rapidly. They are already expanding teams to the South, which is a great thing given the large population of that region. I just want the MLS to do well. ever since Philadelphia got an MLS franchise, my interest in soccer has increases dramatically. If you would asked me 7 years ago if I would be watching soccer games on TV, I world have said "you were crazy". The United States is too big of a country to not have a large soccer following. I'm so glad the World Cup is doing well in the ratings in the US. I read somewhere that the ratings for the "US-Portugal" match on ESPN was higher than the MLB World Series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 07:06 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,553,480 times
I agree. Once the execs wise up that soccer cannot be bottled up or wrapped up in the same package as the overly sanitized and controlled MLB, then the sport will explode. Do they not see the fans at US WC games or at Euro champions leagues? They make college football fans look like Boy Scouts. The attraction to soccer abroad is due to the history, the drama and the intense matches.

If MLS gets to that point I will be a huge fan. Until then I'm still a fan but not as devoted as I am to euro or South American leagues.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:20 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,400,231 times
MLS already got a better contract, I believe it starts next season. I think its a 5/10 year contract I cannot remember offhand.

Also, support your local football. Don't be a glory hunter and support the biggest leagues cause its on TV and Ronaldo plays for them. The best football is the one you can get to, or a least have a hope of getting a game or two in. Some of the best games I have attended have been in stadiums where the crapper dont work, walls crumbling, seats are torn up but the beer was flowing and the fans where singing.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:01 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,709,950 times
^
For sure and I'd bet the 'rivalries' are heated to bring in real emotional interest and identification with the teams.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:03 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
MLS already got a better contract, I believe it starts next season. I think its a 5/10 year contract I cannot remember offhand.

Also, support your local football. Don't be a glory hunter and support the biggest leagues cause its on TV and Ronaldo plays for them. The best football is the one you can get to, or a least have a hope of getting a game or two in. Some of the best games I have attended have been in stadiums where the crapper dont work, walls crumbling, seats are torn up but the beer was flowing and the fans where singing.
Exactly!!

Old 06-26-2014, 01:07 AM

Its hard to support your local team when the MLS is stubborn in pursuing the typical American business model. In the US sports is a business/entertainment first, then an athletic competition. Soccer is just not seen as being THAT profitable to US investors because they can't get as many sponsors or ads with a short fifteen minute break between two 45 min halves.

The NFL, MLB and NBA are big commercial conglomerates that create a nice sanitized family environment for Americas comfortable middle class. European soccer clubs are profitable but they'll go nearly bankrupt attracting top talent. The bottom line is not what comes first. Soccer clubs have crappy business models compared to US American sports teams.

Two of the best EPL teams are owned by billionaire foreign moguls who don't care to lose millions on their clubs. But even with that it creates for the best drama. The money isn't the most important aspect. Its a cultural thing. American businesses won't go for it.

Old 06-26-2014, 02:20 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,059,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Chivas needs to move to San Diego.
Harrier agrees.

Los Angeles is not capable of supporting two "Major League" soccer teams, and San Diego does have a history of supporting top ranked soccer teams.

The Clippers moving back to San Diego would not work, but Chivas USA replacing the old MISL San Diego Sockers would be a win-win proposition for S.D.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:49 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,400,231 times
Quote:
Its hard to support your local team when the MLS is stubborn in pursuing the typical American business model. In the US sports is a business/entertainment first, then an athletic competition. Soccer is just not seen as being THAT profitable to US investors because they can't get as many sponsors or ads with a short fifteen minute break between two 45 min halves.

The NFL, MLB and NBA are big commercial conglomerates that create a nice sanitized family environment for Americas comfortable middle class. European soccer clubs are profitable but they'll go nearly bankrupt attracting top talent. The bottom line is not what comes first. Soccer clubs have crappy business models compared to US American sports teams.

Two of the best EPL teams are owned by billionaire foreign moguls who don't care to lose millions on their clubs. But even with that it creates for the best drama. The money isn't the most important aspect. Its a cultural thing. American businesses won't go for it.
I see where you're coming from, but who cares. Its still football. Its still some players playing their guts out against a bunch of smelly morons from Fake Salt Lake that I hate and the rivalries are picking up and the fans put in a LOT of effort at games in MLS. The business model behind it has always been changing and will eventually be a lot closer to the rest of the world.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:45 AM

9,399 posts, read 9,560,291 times
Quote:

Two of the best EPL teams are owned by billionaire foreign moguls who don't care to lose millions on their clubs. But even with that it creates for the best drama. The money isn't the most important aspect. Its a cultural thing.
American businesses won't go for it.
I think you have I backwards, the MLS is Sanitized because it has little passionate fan base, For example Boston had a viewing party for US v Germany, they would never do that for the Red Sox because last time they did it in 2004 someone died.
I saw Pittsburgh penguins Fans throw a Beer on the face of a 6 year of at a Hockey game. Americans get plenty passionate, just not for soccer (yet?)

Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 AM

I didn't mean that fans are not passionate. I meant that the league owners like to really control their games to keep it sanitized. American spectator sports are very controlled which is not a bad thing, cus I wouldn't want hooliganism and ultras taking over the stands, but owners seem more inclined to protect their sponsors and keep the flow of money coming in and if that means making sure fans are mostly in check they'll do that.

Would you ever see flares, large banners, flags and stuff at NFL games? Could you see an AC Milan type ultra fan base shooting fireworks, flares and shouting at the top of their lungs at baseball games? No. The MLB top brass would **** their pants. They got all worked up over vuvuzelas in one game. Not because it was annoying but because they see that as crass.

The closest I've seen that matches that level of passion in American sports is college football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer