U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 AM

248 posts, read 258,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I didn't mean that fans are not passionate. I meant that the league owners like to really control their games to keep it sanitized. American spectator sports are very controlled which is not a bad thing, cus I wouldn't want hooliganism and ultras taking over the stands, but owners seem more inclined to protect their sponsors and keep the flow of money coming in and if that means making sure fans are mostly in check they'll do that.

Would you ever see flares, large banners, flags and stuff at NFL games? Could you see an AC Milan type ultra fan base shooting fireworks, flares and shouting at the top of their lungs at baseball games? No. The MLB top brass would **** their pants. They got all worked up over vuvuzelas in one game. Not because it was annoying but because they see that as crass.

The closest I've seen that matches that level of passion in American sports is college football.
What about Seattle Sounders? Portland Timbers? They both have fantastic atmosphere. Sporting KC too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2014, 11:25 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,539,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I didn't mean that fans are not passionate. I meant that the league owners like to really control their games to keep it sanitized. American spectator sports are very controlled which is not a bad thing, cus I wouldn't want hooliganism and ultras taking over the stands, but owners seem more inclined to protect their sponsors and keep the flow of money coming in and if that means making sure fans are mostly in check they'll do that.

Would you ever see flares, large banners, flags and stuff at NFL games? Could you see an AC Milan type ultra fan base shooting fireworks, flares and shouting at the top of their lungs at baseball games? No. The MLB top brass would **** their pants. They got all worked up over vuvuzelas in one game. Not because it was annoying but because they see that as crass.

The closest I've seen that matches that level of passion in American sports is college football.
they don't allow people to bring fireworks into a stadium because some crazy would shoot it at the other teams fans because in America the Rivalries are Boston/ New York Houston/Dallas Philly/Pitt and cities that are close to each other so it's often a 35/65 away/home split fans it is not Madrid/Man U.

Old 06-28-2014, 11:47 AM

248 posts, read 258,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
they don't allow people to bring fireworks into a stadium because some crazy would shoot it at the other teams fans because in America the Rivalries are Boston/ New York Houston/Dallas Philly/Pitt and cities that are close to each other so it's often a 35/65 away/home split fans it is not Madrid/Man U.
Who cares about fireworks anyway?

Old 06-28-2014, 11:48 AM

7,972 posts, read 10,091,062 times
Fans in Belgrade care!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VwHfjmUC9Q

Old 06-28-2014, 11:57 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
What about Seattle Sounders? Portland Timbers? They both have fantastic atmosphere. Sporting KC too.
I'm gonna check out MLS more. I want to be wrong trust me

Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 PM

7,550 posts, read 16,388,277 times
Sounders fans didnt know football existed till MLS came along =) But the crop they have no is good, as are Portland. Not sure about Sporting Whiz of Kansas, too much confusion over there.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:11 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,032,738 times
Harrier takes back his previous claim that Chivas USA could move to San Diego.

San Diego supports an excellent team based in Tijuana which plays in Liga MX.

Chivas USA wouldn't stand a chance.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Paul, that stuff's just not allowed here. That and you cant curse encase its heard on TV and the MLS will get upset =)

Old 06-30-2014, 07:44 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times
Quote:

But the crop they have no is good, as are Portland. Not sure about Sporting
Whiz of Kansas, too much confusion over there.
Wow....that really doesn't put good confidence then in developing US players especially for the national team. Klinsmann's argument then looks right.. If Americans want to raise their game they have to go to Europe.

Old 06-30-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Wow....that really doesn't put good confidence then in developing US players especially for the national team. Klinsmann's argument then looks right.. If Americans want to raise their game they have to go to Europe.
So they can play in second rate Dutch or German teams ? Not so much. I was talking fans btw, as in rival fans in a sarcastic way not player development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer