U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times

Advertisements

I know most of us watched that tremendous goal by Gotze to win the Cup for Germany. Great technique and an awesome finish. I've now thought say how many players in MLS would have been able to mimic the goal as well as the play up to it? Schurrle was going 100 mph down that wing and laid in such a cross that that the combination with Gotze's strike was a great example of the 'beautiful game'. I'd say MLS surely has to have the quality of those players in the majority of the league if the US wants to compete for the big prize. Marketing is great to get the potential fans pumped to the sport. But ultimately it has to be the quality of the players that will sell success. So in that case the US must develop its players to a higher degree. It's the only way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 12:02 AM

6,954 posts, read 9,051,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I followed Levski Sofia one season, through the internet (streamed matches and news) because they had two former players from the Dutch club that I support. They are named after Vasil Levski, correct?
yes exactly.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Consistently ? No. But like any league there are some fantastic goals scored in MLS too. Some of the goals scored this season have been absolute crackers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I know most of us watched that tremendous goal by Gotze to win the Cup for Germany. Great technique and an awesome finish. I've now thought say how many players in MLS would have been able to mimic the goal as well as the play up to it? Schurrle was going 100 mph down that wing and laid in such a cross that that the combination with Gotze's strike was a great example of the 'beautiful game'. I'd say MLS surely has to have the quality of those players in the majority of the league if the US wants to compete for the big prize. Marketing is great to get the potential fans pumped to the sport. But ultimately it has to be the quality of the players that will sell success. So in that case the US must develop its players to a higher degree. It's the only way.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 AM

358 posts, read 359,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I know most of us watched that tremendous goal by Gotze to win the Cup for Germany. Great technique and an awesome finish. I've now thought say how many players in MLS would have been able to mimic the goal as well as the play up to it?
Did you see Tim Cahill's goal for AUS vs NED? It was incredible. One of the top goals of the World Cup.

Cahill plays for New York in MLS, thank you very much.

Tim Cahill (Australia) Goal at 21' - ESPN FC

Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,704,474 times
Re: 'fantastic goals scored in MLS too'

For sure. I don't know. I guess I set bar very high. Really if you want to get down to it my dream (US dream?) is to have MLS be the envy of every professional league in the world. The DFB , the EPL etc had to start somewhere. Maybe one day! Not sure if others feel the same way about the goal.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:01 PM

2,845 posts, read 3,936,781 times
Interesting article here. Why College Football Is Studying Major League Soccer - WSJ

SEC schools trying to learn something from the MLS regarding fan involvement.

But the OP says that no one is watching MLS.

Portland Timbers have a waiting list of 10,000 for season tickets? No wonder they sell out EVERY home match.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:11 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
Yes Timbers fans can school college football fans in lively supporting! Best fans ever!

Old 07-16-2014, 09:23 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,539,902 times
I admit I haven't kept up with MLS as much as I should've and I'm ashamed for that, but I just saw a short doc on the timbers Army and it blew me away. When the hell did that all form? US Soccer is almost under the radar if you're not keeping up with it and that's sad.

I don't even follow college basketball or hockey or hell, golf, but I know more about it from the random press following these truly niche sports get in the media.

What is up with the media just totally underplaying the MLS? I know about the Stanley Cup than I do about the MLS Championships, mostly cus I live in LA where the Kings are supported.

With MLS growing strong, a huge surge of English Football fans and the USMNT breaking tv ratings records, I don't get how soccer us still not seen as more mainstream?

Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 AM

750 posts, read 920,067 times
While TV audience may be low, did you know that average attendance in the stadiums are not bad, it's actually higher than the main league in Brazil.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:47 AM

3,722 posts, read 3,879,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I admit I haven't kept up with MLS as much as I should've and I'm ashamed for that, but I just saw a short doc on the timbers Army and it blew me away. When the hell did that all form? US Soccer is almost under the radar if you're not keeping up with it and that's sad.

I don't even follow college basketball or hockey or hell, golf, but I know more about it from the random press following these truly niche sports get in the media.

What is up with the media just totally underplaying the MLS? I know about the Stanley Cup than I do about the MLS Championships, mostly cus I live in LA where the Kings are supported.

With MLS growing strong, a huge surge of English Football fans and the USMNT breaking tv ratings records, I don't get how soccer us still not seen as more mainstream?
The media underplays the MLS because it simply does not generate the ratings, or attention needed to justify a large amount of coverage. Again, the MLS is not even the most watched league in its own country, so that is why you see the EPL getting better coverage and the UEFA Champions League.

Are you really saying college basketball, hockey and golf are niche sports?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer