U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2014, 12:06 AM

15,065 posts, read 19,763,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
A crazy idea that just might work.
Makes too much sense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:19 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,800,870 times
Football in the US will never be as big as American Football is IMO.. the culture and history of that sport in your country will just never allow it to outgrow it

Old 07-23-2014, 08:04 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,579,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Football in the US will never be as big as American Football is IMO.. the culture and history of that sport in your country will just never allow it to outgrow it
That's what they said about baseball.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,800,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's what they said about baseball.
It will take a long long time if it is to do that though.. obviously I hope it does though, it is the best sport in the world!

Also the US loves being competitive.. it can't really do that on the international stage with baseball and American football as it is really the only country that plays them

Old 07-23-2014, 11:30 PM

LA Galaxy vs. Manchester United LIVE Commentary - Goal.com

If there was any indicator that the MLS needs to improve and that we are still a young league, this should give you a clue.

Man U just humiliated the LA galaxy with a 7-0 win!

Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,662,425 times
Quote:
LA Galaxy vs. Manchester United LIVE Commentary - Goal.com

If there was any indicator that the MLS needs to improve and that we are still a young league, this should give you a clue.

Man U just humiliated the LA galaxy with a 7-0 win!
That's because the quality of MLS soccer just pales in comparison to soccer in the rest of the world.

The game of Man U v. LA Galaxy was like watching the NY Yankees playing a Class A minor league team, or watching the New England Patriots play a Division II College Football team. It was pitiful!

Old 07-24-2014, 08:28 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,431,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
That's because the quality of MLS soccer just pales in comparison to soccer in the rest of the world.

The game of Man U v. LA Galaxy was like watching the NY Yankees playing a Class A minor league team, or watching the New England Patriots play a Division II College Football team. It was pitiful!
I only watched the first half, the Galaxy actually started out well, but then they had major blunders in the back. The first goal was just a terrible pass right to a wide open Mata, the second goal was a mistake in the box, and the third goal the defender looked like me on my worst day...horrendous. Did Donovan or Gonzalez play? They weren't in in the first half.

The better game was the Seattle x Tottenham game. I thought Seattle was the better team in that game.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:32 AM

Seattle and Portland seem to be the best hope for the MLS.

And can the MLS only get older players who want to quietly retire? Now MLS has signed Frank Lampard. I think the best signing was David Villa but I bet with so many accomplishments under his belt, this is early retirement for him.

Ive watched a few MLS games before and there were just too many American sports franchise model cliches to remind me that I'm watching an American sport. I can't quite describe it. Maybe it was the pop music being played after a goal or during a long stretch, as if to keep the audience interested? I mean did the execs who run the league never watch an international football game?

I'm still supporting MLS because I want to see it grow but the EPL has so much class while they execs are turning MLS into NFL/MLB for soccer.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:00 AM

2,858 posts, read 3,950,845 times
Quote:
Seattle and Portland seem to be the best hope for the MLS.

And can the MLS only get older players who want to quietly retire? Now MLS has signed Frank Lampard. I think the best signing was David Villa but I bet with so many accomplishments under his belt, this is early retirement for him.

Ive watched a few MLS games before and there were just too many American sports franchise model cliches to remind me that I'm watching an American sport. I can't quite describe it. Maybe it was the pop music being played after a goal or during a long stretch, as if to keep the audience interested? I mean did the execs who run the league never watch an international football game?

I'm still supporting MLS because I want to see it grow but the EPL has so much class while they execs are turning MLS into NFL/MLB for soccer.
Funny, I watch a lot of MLS matches and don't see this trend that you mention. First of all, do any MLS clubs have cheerleaders? There is too much action in a futbol match to have cheerleaders, who BTW, don't really lead cheers during NFL games. They're more like dancers for the drunks to ogle during the interminable breaks in action.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Funny, I watch a lot of MLS matches and don't see this trend that you mention. First of all, do any MLS clubs have cheerleaders? There is too much action in a futbol match to have cheerleaders, who BTW, don't really lead cheers during NFL games. They're more like dancers for the drunks to ogle during the interminable breaks in action.
They're not overbearing at all. It's more like watching a basketball game actually. The trendy pop music that played one time I attended a dynamo game and just the overall feel was a bit corporate. It's really nothing important, it's just something you have to deal with in American sports. Execs think we all have ADD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer