U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,503,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagus Crows View Post
I wonder if you know that MLS attendances are climbing every season, and they are with a quite respectful almost-19 thousand-average, which means that MLS is the second League in the World outside Europe with better attendances?

MLS is the 3rd US outdoor League with better attendances. There are as much people interested in seeing live MLS than in France, a world champion country, for instance. So, i don't think everything is bad.

The only thing i could agree with is MLS is not making great revenues and is not having tv rankings.
MLS avg attendance in 1996- 17,406
MLS avg attendance in 2012- 18,608
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Of course the MLS playoff system could use a lot of improvement but simply getting rid of it would not help the league. Just because something works well in Europe doesn't mean it would automatically work well in the United States. Fans in the US look forward to having their teams in the playoffs. That goes across pretty much every major sport in the country.
I think if it were a separate tournament and not used as a way to crown a regular season champ then it would be more popular. MLS playoffs is not popular with American soccer fans. This is just a fact. We know this from TV ratings.

Old 12-09-2013, 04:18 PM

245 posts, read 256,445 times
I don't think the playoffs are working well for Us soccer and MLS. The league system in MLS is unfair just to create fake (rivalry cups). I think the MLS should adopt a system similar to the scottish league. Where the bottom half clubs fight for relegation and the top half clubs fight for the championship and champions league spots

Old 12-09-2013, 04:45 PM

not good

Old 12-10-2013, 07:11 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,405,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
1996 was the first year of MLS, you cant take avg attendances and include it for this reason. You need to take into account the "fans" that showed up to just see a game for the sake of seeing a game. I would take 1997's attendance as the first year which was 14,619 and 2013 which is 18,608 which isnt a bad rise imho.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:04 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I saw these stats in a previous thread and posted the chart linked to here (Post #219, hopefully this link works). basicallly it shows the drop off after 1996, a bottom, then an annual increase year over year. It also shows that the number of games has increased, too, due to league expansion. It is only game attendance, which doesn't get to the TV problem...

MLS Expansion Plan

Old 12-10-2013, 11:07 AM

50 posts, read 85,969 times
I stand before what i have said. You think that MLS attendances are not important because of low income and low attendances if compared with NFL.

This fails to understand that MLS should be compared to other football\soccer leagues, not NFL. Like i have said, MLS attendances are pretty high in the context of international football leagues. MLS is already one of the top-leagues in the World in regard of game attendance. Because USA has such different types of populations, it allows a vast audience to many sports.

If you think that almost 20 thousand average is not very good, maybe you should read more about the attendances in Europe: that is an excellent average. All this means that MLS should care less about live attendances but focus more on the "TV problem".

Why this happens anyway?

Well, here's of what i think. While MLS as done quite well in live attendances, football\soccer will never get many atention in the USA, because of several reasons:

* While Football\Soccer is everywhere in the World, there are countries that enjoys more the "running with the ball, pass and kick" variation of football than "running the ball by the foot, pass and drible" variation of football.
* That means that in some countries, Rugy football and all its variants will always be more popular than Association Football.
* American Football is, like all modern football, a variation from the XIX century basic English Football, and itself it's a variation of Rugby football. Americans do prefer the "running with the ball, pass and kick" variation, and invented their own set of rules.
* The Association football\soccer US tradition, while quite old in the country, never was very famous or popular.
* On the other side, football is now the most important US sport, like in most countries in the world. The only main difference is that they prefer the American variation of rugby football, and don't care much about the Association football. This happens almost anywhere, only in England and probably France Rugby F. and Association F. are big at the same time.

So soccer will always be a secondary sport in the US, because of national preferences. It has nothing to do with "a-sport-being-made-for-tv" or not. That is irrelevant. All sports are made for TV, if the citizens prefer one sport to another.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:27 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,979 times
One local problem, at least for me, is that the Chicago Fire are never on local TV. I know MLS has a pay per view channel, but to gain new fans that is not enough. It is hard to gain a local following, especially with kids, when the local games are not on local TV. I am surprised some more local channel does not pick up the rights to the local games, I would think it would be a better draw on saturday afternoons than Golden Girl reruns.

Old 12-10-2013, 11:50 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,405,144 times
I thought MLS went out and begged local channels to play it ? I know in New Mexico (I got local Denver) I had every Colorado game on Altitude it was great. MLS Live for me when I split after that.

Old 12-10-2013, 10:08 PM

MLS Cup 2013 Down 44% In Viewership; Sets Record As Least-Viewed MLS Cup Ever

MLS Cup 2013 Down 44% In Viewership; Sets Record As Least-Viewed MLS Cup Ever | World Soccer Talk

Soccer fans in this country have completely tuned out the league. No one wants to watch a league that purposely makes its product worse all in the name of fairness. It could be a much better league but parity is all that matters I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer