Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 08:53 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times

Advertisements

Yeah, building team chemistry is difficult with all-stars teams, I agree, but it is not too different in pre-season clubs from Europe either. It's the open window to recruit and dismiss players in Europe. That was Lewandowski's first match with Bayern, he was just recently recruited from Borussia.

I was in the stadium for the MU vs RM game in Ann Arbor and, despite of being a very good game, there was very little physical confrontation at all because that's important for them. The European clubs will keep spending pre-season in the US as along as they don't get risks of injuries. I'm not sure Pep wants a rematch, actually, he may be more incline to not come back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 09:20 AM

358 posts, read 451,129 times
MLS looked really good. I was surprised to see how well they played together.

Of course Bayern Munchen played their second string most of the game, but even those players are awesome.

It was a fun game to watch. Some drama at the end, but it sounds like they want a rematch next year.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Pep is not a moron, I did not like his attitude either, so unlike of him really, but he is one of the best in the world. He's also perceived as a gentleman, reason why people were surprised for his actions yesterday.

It was Bayern second string, pre-season, in the middle of players vacation, who were trying to be careful to not get hurt against motivated, on-season MLS players. It's not everyday MLS players get a real chance to beat Bayern. It was an expected outcome IMO.
He is a complete moron for doing what he did. Ill class him as one of the best in the world when he has a team that a bottomless pit of talent and money given to him.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:58 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
I'll admit I'm no expert on soccer- I only watch it during the World Cup, and even then, not a whole game. It is VERY boring because of the lack of scoring, and even a lack of serious scoring chances. Here's my suggestions: Allow only 7 players per team on the field at one time- in order to "open things up"; bevel the out of bounds boundries so the ball will not constantly be going out of bounds and stopping play- this way it will roll back onto the field; and penalize those players who act like they've been shot whenever anyone touches them. What if baseball had 13 players instead of 9- scores would frequently be 1-0, and 0-0- just like soccer.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
He is a complete moron for doing what he did. Ill class him as one of the best in the world when he has a team that a bottomless pit of talent and money given to him.
Oh, don't be so dramatic, his attitude was not new to soccer.

Pep's quick rise to top in the world was rather unsusual, hence the reason he is seen by many as a genious. He started by given a chance to coach Barcelona B in the third divison of the Spanish football and did not take long for managment to realize he was a very promissing star. He spent just 1 season in Barcelona B and was promoted to the main team, then just won pretty much every major tournament ever since. His performance with Bayern so far is actually even better than it was with Barcelona. He's just 43 years old. I would say, very, very impressive.

And to think that, after he left Barcelona, he basically offered to coach the Brazilian national team and the stupid CBF in Brazil declined it...

Old 08-07-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
I'll admit I'm no expert on soccer-
Point taken.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:07 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Quote:
I'll admit I'm no expert on soccer- I only watch it during the World Cup, and even then, not a whole game. It is VERY boring because of the lack of scoring, and even a lack of serious scoring chances. Here's my suggestions: Allow only 7 players per team on the field at one time- in order to "open things up"; bevel the out of bounds boundries so the ball will not constantly be going out of bounds and stopping play- this way it will roll back onto the field; and penalize those players who act like they've been shot whenever anyone touches them. What if baseball had 13 players instead of 9- scores would frequently be 1-0, and 0-0- just like soccer.
Please, go away.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:00 AM

358 posts, read 451,129 times
Quote:
What you're describing is called indoor or arena soccer. Check out the MASL - there are pro teams across the U.S. Scores are higher, and strategy is a bit different with the sidewalls.

www.maslsoccer.com

Indoor soccer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 AM

For those who think Pep wants a rematch, like I said, I got exactly the opposite impression.

Check out the twiter comment by Matthew Doyle in this news feed:

"Pretty sure this is the last time Bayern will ever play an All-Star game. Cahill, Ozzie, Will Johnson = bloodbath in the midfield"

Bastian Schweinsteiger Injury: Updates on Bayern Munich Star's Ankle and Return | Bleacher Report

Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM

939 posts, read 795,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Please, go away.
No- ha ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer