U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Seattle
6,949 posts, read 9,044,841 times
Reputation: 3783

Advertisements

If MLS wants to progress, it has to change its system to free market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:31 PM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If MLS wants to progress, it has to change its system to free market.
Or at least make the rules of player acquisition clear. No one seems to know the actual rules of transfers, it is WAY too complex and I believe it alienates the true fans of teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,766,479 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Or at least make the rules of player acquisition clear. No one seems to know the actual rules of transfers, it is WAY too complex and I believe it alienates the true fans of teams.
This is certainly true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:41 PM
 
3,722 posts, read 3,877,834 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
If MLS wants to progress, it has to change its system to free market.
The it will turn into European soccer where there are a small number of teams who are able to compete every year and win titles. Look at the last 12 seasons in England and you will see how unbalanced the league has become. Aside from Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool, you can count on a few fingers other clubs that have done much of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Castlederp
9,268 posts, read 5,766,479 times
Reputation: 2911
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The it will turn into European soccer where there are a small number of teams who are able to compete every year and win titles. Look at the last 12 seasons in England and you will see how unbalanced the league has become. Aside from Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool, you can count on a few fingers other clubs that have done much of anything.
5 teams is a lot more than La Liga or the Bundesliga.

In sports you will always have certain teams that dominate.. I think that the PL is actually quite competetive at the top now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 09:53 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The it will turn into European soccer where there are a small number of teams who are able to compete every year and win titles. Look at the last 12 seasons in England and you will see how unbalanced the league has become. Aside from Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool, you can count on a few fingers other clubs that have done much of anything.
No it wont. You can have a free market and have wage limits etc. MLS as it is actually decides who gets what player. Its no mistake LA and NY get the best players and Man City and Beckham FC will get the same talent while the rest wont.

MLS has put its stamp on too many transfers doing what they want not what the teams want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 11:35 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,499,518 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Any MLS fans following the Jermaine Jones saga? I guess yesterday they (MLS and his agent) agreed on financials and he said he wanted to play for the Chicago Fire, but the league couldn't guarantee a specific team. How dumb is that? The MLS has way too much bureaucracy and crazy rules.
The Jermaine Jones fiasco is exposing MLS for the Mickey Mouse league it is. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason why this league cannot operate like every other league on the planet and have free agency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2014, 11:41 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,499,518 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The it will turn into European soccer where there are a small number of teams who are able to compete every year and win titles. Look at the last 12 seasons in England and you will see how unbalanced the league has become. Aside from Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Manchester City and Liverpool, you can count on a few fingers other clubs that have done much of anything.
Nonsense

Every soccer league on the planet has free agency. Go look at their league tables. You don't see the same team winning every year.

The type of players available to MLS aren't superstars. Free agency wouldn't create an imbalance. Besides, MLS uses playoffs. How would you have the same teams winning every year in playoffs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 06:55 AM
 
260 posts, read 235,732 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
The Jermaine Jones fiasco is exposing MLS for the Mickey Mouse league it is. I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no reason why this league cannot operate like every other league on the planet and have free agency.

Exactly, MLS micro-managing every team. It's simple the EPL has a salary cap but tickets and merchandising can be spent on wages. This is lets the "Fans" and "The Front office" decide the fate of their team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2014, 08:42 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
No it wont. You can have a free market and have wage limits etc. MLS as it is actually decides who gets what player. Its no mistake LA and NY get the best players and Man City and Beckham FC will get the same talent while the rest wont.

MLS has put its stamp on too many transfers doing what they want not what the teams want.
I agree with this statement. MLS says it wants parity, at least from a financial point of view. If that is what they truly want, then have a true salary cap. If they want to keep the DP rule, then have clear rules about how much salary they will cover and make that equal across the league. TheMLS is making this much more complex than necessary to meet their goals. I read an article last night where Yallop (The Fire coach) sounded pretty annoyed by the whole situation. His points were:

1. MLS, just make a decision
2. Chicago made the push to sign him and MLS is the one that got in the way
3. Other teams only joined after all the hard work was done with Jones and the MLS delayed everything
4. He still wants Jones
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top