U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2013, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Reputation: 5087

Advertisements

Fans haven't totally tuned it out but two things happened this year 1) There couldn't have been two worse teams in the final 2) The playoffs were dragged out for so long I didn't even watch a game after the first round.

My assessment, playoffs are stupid and boring. There needs to be a league format, this playing one team 3 times and another 1 and ridiculous forced rivalry's are a bad idea. If you want to have a post season tournament fine, revamp the US Open where teams cant buy rounds and have the semi's after the MLS has done its season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2013, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Fairfax, Va
245 posts, read 256,223 times
Reputation: 127
It is not even a league it is a cup. With silly inventions like the Designated player and the draft. Even the NFL and MLB dosen't have all of this nonsense. I am afraid in the future to Americanize the sport even more they will add commercial timeouts and overtime in case of a draw. If someone has money and smart they should start a new league to compete with MLS that will be a real league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,501,410 times
Reputation: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
It is not even a league it is a cup. With silly inventions like the Designated player and the draft. Even the NFL and MLB dosen't have all of this nonsense. I am afraid in the future to Americanize the sport even more they will add commercial timeouts and overtime in case of a draw. If someone has money and smart they should start a new league to compete with MLS that will be a real league.
having a draft is really stupid for soccer. A draft makes sense in the NFL and other American sports that have no competition. The NFL is the only American football league in the world so it makes sense that they would want to allocate players in a fair manner. I could probably make a case that the NFL draft is bad for some players. But overall the NFL is not harmed by having a draft.

But MLS is one of dozens of soccer leagues. It competes for players with other leagues and it competes with other leagues to keep its players. Not only that, the academy system is how players are developed around the world and since MLS now has got on board with that, it makes no sense to continue to have a draft as well.

The draft in MLS is an unnecessary barrier to entry for many players. If a player doesn't live near an MLS academy then he is prevented from joining MLS directly. His only pathway to MLS is to go through college and then get drafted. By that time he's growth has been stalled. He may be ruined. Then you force him to start his career in a city that may be all the way on the other side of the country. Look at Omar Salgado. He's a Texas kid that was playing in Mexico youth leagues. He decided he wanted to play in America but instead of being allowed to join up with one of the Texas teams, MLS forces him to enter the draft and at 17 he gets drafted by Vancouver. At 17 years old he gets shipped away from his family not just across the country, but to a whole different country and culture. I saw an interview with him where he said it took him awhile to get comfortable with his surroundings and that he was home sick. He's had injuries and his career has been stalled because of it, but there's no doubt that he would be developing better closer to home.

No one else in the soccer world does this. Why do we do it? Because MLS is run by idiots.

I didn't even get into the fact that many young prospects skip MLS altogether and go to lower tier European leagues because they have no other choice. Josh Gatt is a name that comes to mind. He's from Michigan. No MLS academy in Michigan meant that Gatt's only pathway to MLS was to go to college and then get drafted. He chose Europe instead. It was his only choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 08:41 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,421,686 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I thought MLS went out and begged local channels to play it ? I know in New Mexico (I got local Denver) I had every Colorado game on Altitude it was great. MLS Live for me when I split after that.
In Chicago, after national broadcasts, the only media that covers the Fire is a radio station...La Ley. It is kind of ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Reputation: 5087
That is ridiculous. I guess I got lucky with Colorado. If it wasnt on national TV it was on Altitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 03:20 PM
 
562 posts, read 537,068 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
If someone has money and smart they should start a new league to compete with MLS that will be a real league.
Yes. The MLS is crap. Sorry, it's unwatchable. I'm a huge football fan and I've watched maybe 5 games total of the MLS.

What really needs to happen is to just form independent clubs, and have them go at it. The whole "MLS owns all the teams" is bunk. No relegation is bunk. The whole league is bunk.

Due to the size, I could see an argument for conferences. Call it "America's Champions League".

However, if people really wanted to make football popular, all they'd have to do is get actual athletes wanting to play soccer. In America, for kids growing up, football is like the third or fourth option for kids who intend to make it by playing sports. People rather play in the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB...so the MLS is literally getting fourth and fifth tier athletes....combined with aged Euro stars.

Imagine Derrick rose as a striker, Lebron playing in the midfield, Adrian Peterson on defense and Shaq in the goal? That team would easily be one of the best in the world.

I'm very interested in developing an actual football league in America. First 20 get put in the first league. Second 20 in the second, 3rd 20 in the third. Anyone and everyone could start a club. Have 15 people willing to play soccer? Then you're a club.relegation and promotion would happen. See where it goes...it would have to be better than the MLS today...the MLS is huge joke.

You don't need to Americanize football. Football is a global game. Until they get on board with that, they shall forever suck. And that's the truth.

Also, get rid of the funny names. Miami Beckhams? I can't even fathom. It makes them look like a kid league, which is appropriate actually, since that's exactly what they are.

If people were smart, and had enough money, they'd develop all the leagues like this. That is, do it like Real Madrid and have a Real Basketball, Football, the other Football and baseball club. Open it up to the public as well, and have people able to join the club and use the facilities. It'd be awesome to go to the gym and work out with someone who plays football professionally, for example. And, if you're good enough, you might get signed on as a professional athlete.

Open up a restaurant, massage parlor, swimming pool and what not...the goal being to provide a place where the parents can go and dump their kids for a Saturday, and then they could go enjoy themselves elsewhere in the facilities while the kiddies train.

Such an easy idea, but no money....so, whatever. They'll continue sucking, and I'll continue watching European football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 06:54 PM
 
Location: Fairfax, Va
245 posts, read 256,223 times
Reputation: 127
If people were smart, and had enough money, they'd develop all the leagues like this. That is, do it like Real Madrid and have a Real Basketball, Football, the other Football and baseball club. Open it up to the public as well, and have people able to join the club and use the facilities. It'd be awesome to go to the gym and work out with someone who plays football professionally, for example. And, if you're good enough, you might get signed on as a professional athlete.

Open up a restaurant, massage parlor, swimming pool and what not...the goal being to provide a place where the parents can go and dump their kids for a Saturday, and then they could go enjoy themselves elsewhere in the facilities while the kiddies train.
[/quote]

I lived in North Africa and they have clubs the same style as Real Madrid. Does all Europe follow this system? because I don't know if Manchester United are only a football club or do they have a social setting? Remember that the US is a capitalist country where everything is a business (including sports teams) not government subsidized as European clubs. I like the idea but it will never happen because of the culture and the economic system. "imagine the Washington Redskins, Caps, Wizards, Nats, UTD all went under Washington Sports club" that would be a dream coming true
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 09:41 PM
 
Location: Tejas
7,551 posts, read 16,394,400 times
Reputation: 5087
Quote:
Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
Yes. The MLS is crap. Sorry, it's unwatchable. I'm a huge football fan and I've watched maybe 5 games total of the MLS.

What really needs to happen is to just form independent clubs, and have them go at it. The whole "MLS owns all the teams" is bunk. No relegation is bunk. The whole league is bunk.

Due to the size, I could see an argument for conferences. Call it "America's Champions League".


However, if people really wanted to make football popular, all they'd have to do is get actual athletes wanting to play soccer. In America, for kids growing up, football is like the third or fourth option for kids who intend to make it by playing sports. People rather play in the NFL, NBA, NHL or MLB...so the MLS is literally getting fourth and fifth tier athletes....combined with aged Euro stars.

Imagine Derrick rose as a striker, Lebron playing in the midfield, Adrian Peterson on defense and Shaq in the goal? That team would easily be one of the best in the world.


I'm very interested in developing an actual football league in America. First 20 get put in the first league. Second 20 in the second, 3rd 20 in the third. Anyone and everyone could start a club. Have 15 people willing to play soccer? Then you're a club.relegation and promotion would happen. See where it goes...it would have to be better than the MLS today...the MLS is huge joke.

You don't need to Americanize football. Football is a global game. Until they get on board with that, they shall forever suck. And that's the truth.

Also, get rid of the funny names. Miami Beckhams? I can't even fathom. It makes them look like a kid league, which is appropriate actually, since that's exactly what they are.

If people were smart, and had enough money, they'd develop all the leagues like this. That is, do it like Real Madrid and have a Real Basketball, Football, the other Football and baseball club. Open it up to the public as well, and have people able to join the club and use the facilities. It'd be awesome to go to the gym and work out with someone who plays football professionally, for example. And, if you're good enough, you might get signed on as a professional athlete.

Open up a restaurant, massage parlor, swimming pool and what not...the goal being to provide a place where the parents can go and dump their kids for a Saturday, and then they could go enjoy themselves elsewhere in the facilities while the kiddies train.

Such an easy idea, but no money....so, whatever. They'll continue sucking, and I'll continue watching European football.
The bold makes me here "blah blah blah" for the rest of your post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 08:26 PM
 
562 posts, read 537,068 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
The bold makes me here "blah blah blah" for the rest of your post.
ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM
 
358 posts, read 360,119 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I didn't even get into the fact that many young prospects skip MLS altogether and go to lower tier European leagues because they have no other choice. Josh Gatt is a name that comes to mind. He's from Michigan. No MLS academy in Michigan meant that Gatt's only pathway to MLS was to go to college and then get drafted. He chose Europe instead. It was his only choice.
This isn't much different than basketball. Some high school players skip college and play basketball in Europe before being drafted into the NBA.

I guess I just don't see the big problem with a draft. If the main issue is college players not being ready for pro soccer, then the MLS/USSF needs to somehow work with the NCAA to rectify that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top