U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,397,409 times

Advertisements

Where are you getting the participation decline information in it ? According to Wiki Rugy is the fastest growing sport
Quote:
Rugby participation in the US has grown significantly in recent years, growing by 350% between 2004 and 2011.[21] A 2010 survey by the National Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association ranked rugby as the fastest growing sport in the US.[22]
According to the same article
Quote:
Soccer, although not as popular in the U.S. as certain American sports such as baseball and American football, has been increasing in popularity in recent years. Soccer is played by over 13 million people in the U.S., making it the third most played sport in the U.S.
Sports in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 03:20 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,883,415 times
Participation numbers don't matter. For decades more people have played soccer than football yet the NFL is hands down the most popular sports league in this country and has been for over a decade.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:07 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Where are you getting the participation decline information in it ? According to Wiki Rugy is the fastest growing sport

There was a recent article in the Wall Street Journal, right before the superbowl, about youth articipation in sports. That's what i was referencing. They only looked at people up to age 18 and I can't rememeber the sources, but some youth soccer group confirmed the decline in youth participation, saying it was expected due to the huge boom over the previous decade making it the 2nd most played youth sport in our country (after basketball).

Old 02-21-2014, 04:53 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,726,844 times
Allow tackling and decrease the size of the field.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:04 PM

Decrease the size of the field ? Wtf ? What do you mean allow attacking ?

Old 02-21-2014, 08:11 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Allow tackling and decrease the size of the field.
good idea but you could achieve the same thing by using bigger players

Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 PM

255 posts, read 324,193 times
Quote:

These "fastest growing sport" statistics don't really look at things qualitatively. They are just looking at how many kids used to play sport X and then looking at how many play it now. Then they do the math and have a percentage. In reality it could be that 100 kids played Rugby 2010 and 200 play it now. It doesn't mean Rugby is popular.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:46 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,544,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
1. Most watched EPL game in America happened on a Sunday in January 2014 (1.01 share), which was on at something like 8AM PST...primetime viewing...I was at church with the kids. I remember, because there were two boys in front of me one wearing the chelsea home jersey and the other had the away jersey on.
http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2014/january/nhl-epl-doing-well-for-nbc.html

2. MLS has a TV viewership problem, that is for sure. MLS is getting people to the stadium, but not on the TV.

3. About the participation decline in soccer, I gave my views on that. Short story: The general trend of kids not playing sports, increasing options, and the end of the participation boom and onto normalization. Lacrosse is a tiny sport, so seeing big increases is not surprising...and don't get me wrong, I am glad to see an increase in that sport, and I think participation will grow in the future. Football participation did decline also in the same period, but that seems slightly popular.
I think MLS has done a great job making it easy and attractive to go to their games which help the stadiums fill up. No one wants to watch a game on TV that has empty stands, that is just sad to watch. I do think it is time for the MLS to start pushing for some form of tv deal on a more basic channel, even if it is only televising the bigger match ups, though having two channels with one playing the local game and one to play the big match up would be good.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM

I think MLS just did get a better TV deal, I cannot remember the specifics of it though. I think each club will end up with an extra 3 million a year because of it if I remember correctly. I dont pay much attention to TV deals as I subscribe to MLS Live for the games.

Old 02-24-2014, 09:15 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,422,343 times
Quote:
I think MLS just did get a better TV deal, I cannot remember the specifics of it though. I think each club will end up with an extra 3 million a year because of it if I remember correctly. I dont pay much attention to TV deals as I subscribe to MLS Live for the games.
Yeah, I think you got the numbers right. Also, on an minor note, I shot a note to the Chicago Fire complaining that I can't watch the Fire on a local channel and they said that they will be broadcasting this year on a local. That is a step forward, although the channel is a minor one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer