Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2014, 04:25 PM

248 posts, read 310,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Well you definitely made that part clear.

What's so hard to understand? Single tables don't work well at the highest level pro-sports and that includes soccer. What has worked and has been successful in all major sports leagues are conferences and divisions. It's only a matter of time before the MLS adopts divisions like the other North American sports leagues.

It should be Americanized because it's an American sports league! America's sports culture is different from the rest of the world. Soccer isn't the most popular sport in this country and most Americans historically don't really care about the European rules or any other country for that matter when it comes their rules on soccer. Having divisions and conferences will strengthen rivalries between teams. The MLS would probably fail if they tried to copy every single thing every other country does. The MLS is an American sports league that plays in North America, not Europe, not Asia, etc.

Just as I thought. You have no data to back it up and you're talking out of your ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 04:30 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriarti View Post
Just as I thought. You have no data to back it up and you're talking out of your ass.
No data needed, it's common sense. You won't find any information out there that disproves what I said.

Old 06-07-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
No data needed, it's common sense. You won't find any information out there that disproves what I said.
it's common sense that soccer fans in this country want a soccer league with multiple conferences/divisions that looks like the NFL?

No...that's an opinion.

Old 06-07-2014, 06:15 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,406,757 times
Quote:
Well you definitely made that part clear.

What's so hard to understand? Single tables don't work well at the highest level pro-sports and that includes soccer. What has worked and has been successful in all major sports leagues are conferences and divisions. It's only a matter of time before the MLS adopts divisions like the other North American sports leagues.

It should be Americanized because it's an American sports league! America's sports culture is different from the rest of the world. Soccer isn't the most popular sport in this country and most Americans historically don't really care about the European rules or any other country for that matter when it comes their rules on soccer. Having divisions and conferences will strengthen rivalries between teams. The MLS would probably fail if they tried to copy every single thing every other country does. The MLS is an American sports league that plays in North America, not Europe, not Asia, etc.
While youre right soccer isnt the most popular sport in America youre wrong on saying they "dont really care about the European rules or any other country" imho. MLS started off VERY American with their countdown and other obscure rules to make the game American when MLS started and that was all phased out. Obviously people care, its foolish to say otherwise.

Old 06-08-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
While youre right soccer isnt the most popular sport in America youre wrong on saying they "dont really care about the European rules or any other country" imho. MLS started off VERY American with their countdown and other obscure rules to make the game American when MLS started and that was all phased out. Obviously people care, its foolish to say otherwise.
And I don't think MLS has fully recovered from how much they alienated soccer fans when the league began. Heck, MLS continues to alienate soccer fans in this country. It's a league run by ex-NFL goobers who don't know anything about the global game. There is an MLS draft FFS. An MLS draft! LOL. That's all you need to know. They have a frickin draft.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:32 AM

I dont care for the draft, nothing I get excited about. The thing I hate is the draft when a new team enters and you have to protect certain players and the others can just be taken by the new team, its complete BS.

MLS has interfered in so many transfers too. Colorado had a player from the UK training with us and where going to sign him and MLS just decided to send him elsewhere ... because they can.

Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Americans like to be best and are used to having the world's best leagues in the sport we care about. It's hard to have that mentality and root for a league that is good but minor league compared to the great European leagues. Most of my FB friends that like soccer don't "like" MLS teams but instead "like" star Euro league players and teams like Ronalda, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.

I actually like the MLS but it's hard to find their games without spending a ton of money to get soccer specific cable channels. I don't have cable tv at all

Old 06-25-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Americans like to be best and are used to having the world's best leagues in the sport we care about. It's hard to have that mentality and root for a league that is good but minor league compared to the great European leagues. Most of my FB friends that like soccer don't "like" MLS teams but instead "like" star Euro league players and teams like Ronalda, Chelsea, Arsenal, etc.

I actually like the MLS but it's hard to find their games without spending a ton of money to get soccer specific cable channels. I don't have cable tv at all
$50 for MLS Live, screw getting expensive packages. I had friends that only liked Liverpool etc, I made them come drink beer with me for a few games and they soon got into it. Nevermind the fact that one is an LA fan, apart from that it went well =)

Old 06-25-2014, 04:14 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I call that being "un-American".

Old 06-25-2014, 04:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,008,466 times
Do you blame people for not liking MLS when its run by the same types that love to control and sanitize every other sport in this country. People watch Euro games cus it's not a passive take your kid out for a hot dog, middle class kinda thing. They're pretty intense games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer