U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:47 AM

2,658 posts, read 4,701,508 times

Advertisements

I agree with you, Indyking, that Brazil should win all the 3 matches in the group stage.

With all due respect for the other teams, but we're playing at home, and the coming back of Felipao started a new phase.

I'm only afraid that Fred maybe don't recover from his injuries in time for the World Cup, or maybe if he recovers, he may not be in good shape, after so many months without playing. And Fred is our "goal man", not a brilliant player, but always in the right place at the right time, ready to score a goal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 08:50 PM

750 posts, read 924,933 times
Group C!

Colombia is the winner here. Perkerman seems to have a good control of the team and he is good. Falcao Garcia could be the star of the tournament but they also have good players in other sectors. They played very well in the South American qualifiers coming second only to Argentina. I think they have the potential to be the biggest surprise.

Ivory coast can advance. Drogba and Toure are the great names and they will have the benefit to play in a favorable environment. I don't think they are as strong as in the past when they faced the death group but still good enough to go beyond first round.

Greece is the weakest. They play defensively and they seem to depend on headers from crossed balls to score most of the time. I think they are potentially the worst European in the cup. Don't think they have any chances.

Japan is not bad. Honda, Hasebe e Endo are good players with a decent mid-field and they have more offensive options compared to Greece. Their weak point is the defense but they will fight against Ivory Coast for the second spot

My bets: Colombia on top, Ivory Coast or maybe Japan in second, and Greece fails.

Last edited by Indyking; 12-12-2013 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-13-2013, 06:39 PM

Group's E turn.

Ecuador is the weakest South American in the cup. OK, they managed to come before Uruguay and avoid the playoffs, but most of their victories are due to their players being used to play at high elevation. This is no joke, it's true. I think they will have a hard time qualifying in this rather easy group.

France is the favorite to come on top and I think they will. They have much better quality by far in this group with Nasri, Valbuena, Benzema and Ribery. They just seem a little disconnected, lacking motivation but if they can work on that problem, they should go far.

Honduras qualified to the WC thanks to the bad moment of Mexico. They play a very physical game that is not supposed to be much tolerated in the WC. Izaguirre is a good player but the squad overall is very lacking.

Switzerland is characterized by their remarkably defensive game. Shaqiri is good and should help the attack but they don't create much in the midfield to make the connection. Defense with counterattacks is what they do best.

My bets are France on top, Switzerland in second, maybe Ecuador but I doubt it, and Honduras fails in the last position.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Group F

Could this be any easier for Argentina? Hard to picture. This group is a breeze and Argentina is a solid team now that it actually has a coach and decent organization. Messi is finally playing well in the team and he could make a difference. They are likely going to crush all 3 games in the first round.

Bosnia was the surprise from Europe and showed a rather offensive style in the qualifiers, though its group was weak. Dzeko can definitively score goals and they could get the second spot in the group, which would be a great accomplishment for them.

Ira's greatest accomplishment was to come first against South Korea in the qualifiers, so they come with some confidence. Yet, they lack quality for the WC and don't play a lot of games to improve. I doubt they will have any chance of securing the second spot.

Nigeria will compete with Bosnia for second spot in advancing to the Round of 16. They were the African champions but a little disappointing in the Confederations Cup. They play a physical game and rely a lot on Mikel for creation in the midfield.

My bets are Argentina on top obviously, Bosnia or Nigeria in second (force me to choose and I pick Nigeria) and Ira fails.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:38 AM

591 posts, read 715,620 times
I've got my flights and accommodation booked. Staying at Arias Amazon Tower in Manaus, and StokeTravel campsite in between Rio and Sao Paulo.

Can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or