U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:25 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,313 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Germany in practice mode? Germany has a difficult group draw. The progression after the groups is a little easier, but one of Belgium (very tough team)/Russia/South Korea, followed by France followed by (probably) Brazil is not an easy path to the final.

Argentina got an easy draw, and should walk to the quarters, but there they are likely to face Portugal or Belgium, both very tough teams.
Difficult group draw? Are you kidding me? who think Portugal or USA can even in the most remote possibility jeopardize Germany being a first place in the group! Then Belgium is very difficult in Round of 16??? Did you see the other likely match ups at round of 16? Oh, France, big deal.

Germany and Argentina are guaranteed in the semis. If they don't make it, they don't deserve to win. Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:26 AM
 
782 posts, read 938,805 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
GROUP H is the most uninteresting group EVER...

Belgium, Russia, Algeria and South Korea?

Seriously?
I don't know, Belgium is a great dark horse/fun team to watch. Hazard, De Brunye, Lukaku, Benteke, Bakkali, Mirallas, Dembele - some of the best young attacking talent in Europe. A back line that consists of Kompany, Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Alderwield and a keeper of either Courtois or Mingolet ... that is one of the stouter/stronger back 5's of any team in the tournament.

The rest of the group is a little vanilla, but South Korea has played nice stuff in recent tournaments, and Russia have also been a very nice side to watch as well. There may not be any marquee sides, but there is alot of entertainment in this group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
2,601 posts, read 4,676,218 times
Reputation: 1577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Brazil gets Holland or Spain in the round of 16, then England or Uruguay or Italy in the quarters. Easy???
You know what?

Maybe, just MAYBE, Brazil should try to purposely come in second place in the group...


Because if Brazil comes in first, it plays against Spain or Netherlands in Belo Horizonte at 3:00 PM

If Brazil comes in second, it plays against Spain or Netherlands in Fortaleza at 1:00 PM


In the second case, the HEAT will be tremendously greater. And I bet Brazilian players can take more advantage from tremendous heat than the European players.

Not to mention that the fans here in Fortaleza are the most passionate of all when rooting for Brazil!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM
 
782 posts, read 938,805 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Difficult group draw? Are you kidding me? who think Portugal or USA can even in the most remote possibility jeopardize Germany being a first place in the group! Then Belgium is very difficult in Round of 16??? Did you see the other likely match ups at round of 16? Oh, France, big deal.
Do you know anything about Belgium? One of the best young sides in the world. Obviously not in a class with Germany/Spain/Argentina who are favorites, or even Brazil who are a notch below that. But show me a team outside of that big four who should feel confident against Belgium. Belgium will have one of the best back 5's in the tournament and a team replete with some of the best young attacking talent in Europe at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM
 
Location: IL
2,992 posts, read 4,431,924 times
Reputation: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Yeah the US is DOA, no chances against Germany and Portugal, besides Ghana may be the strongest African too.
Not only is Ghana strong, but they seem to beat the US in every world cup. They have our number. That is the first game for the US, too. If they don't get three points from Ghana, there is so little chance to get out of that group.

And then the travel schedule: start in Natal, fly to Manaus, then back to Recife.

But, now that I am thinking about it, 4 points may get a country second place in that group...It is possible because the draw is so tough.

Klinsmann, I am sure, is not happy about being matched up against Germany in the group stage.

Best case, Germany beats everyone, Ghana and Portugal tie and the US wins one and ties one...that would get them through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:39 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,313 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
Do you know anything about Belgium? One of the best young sides in the world. Obviously not in a class with Germany/Spain/Argentina who are favorites, or even Brazil who are a notch below that. But show me a team outside of that big four who should feel confident against Belgium. Belgium will have one of the best back 5's in the tournament and a team replete with some of the best young attacking talent in Europe at the moment.
In a cup where people are worried about WC champions not reaching the quarters or even going beyond first round, someone is worried about powerful Belgium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,440 posts, read 12,476,380 times
Reputation: 4865
* = LOCK for that position

Group A:
1.Brazil*
2.Croatia
3.Mexico
4.Cameroon

Group B:
1.Netherlands
2.Spain
3.Chile
4.Australia*

Group C:
1.Colombia
2.Japan
3.Ivory Coast
4.Greece*

Group D:
1.Italy
2.England
3.Uruguay
4.Costa Rica*

Group E:
1.France*
2.Switzerland
3.Ecuador
4.Honduras*

Group F:
1.Argentina*
2.Nigeria
3.Bosnia
4.Iran*

Group G:
1.Germany
2.Portugal
3.Ghana*
4.USA*

Group H:
1.Belgium*
2.Russia*
3.South Korea*
4.Algeria*



Round of 16: -------------- Quarter Finals: ------------- Semi Finals: ------------ Final:

A1 (BRA) vs. B2 (SPA)
------------------------------- BRA - ENG
C1 (COL) vs. D2 (ENG)
----------------------------------------------------------- BRA - GER
E1 (FRA) vs. F2 (NIG)
------------------------------- FRA - GER
G1 (GER) vs. H2 (RUS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BRA - ARG
B1 (NL) vs. A2 (CRO)
------------------------------- NL - ITA
D1 (ITA) vs. C2 (JP)
----------------------------------------------------------- ARG - NL
F1 (ARG) vs. E2 (SWI)
------------------------------- ARG - POR
H1 (BEL) vs. G2 (POR)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:43 AM
 
750 posts, read 922,313 times
Reputation: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
You know what?

Maybe, just MAYBE, Brazil should try to purposely come in second place in the group...


Because if Brazil comes in first, it plays against Spain or Netherlands in Belo Horizonte at 3:00 PM

If Brazil comes in second, it plays against Spain or Netherlands in Fortaleza at 1:00 PM


In the second case, the HEAT will be tremendously greater. And I bet Brazilian players can take more advantage from tremendous heat than the European players.

Not to mention that the fans here in Fortaleza are the most passionate of all when rooting for Brazil!
I don't know about that. The heat should really benefit mostly the African teams, most Brazilians and Argentinians are more used to European climate these days.

Besides, believe or not, but I would rather have Brazil to face Spain than Holland in the round of 16.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
 
782 posts, read 938,805 times
Reputation: 1016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
In a cup where people are worried about WC champions not reaching the quarters or even going beyond first round, someone is worried about powerful Belgium
What does the past mean? Look at the strongest teams in the world right now. Spain/Germany/Argentina are clearly ahead of everyone. Brazil and possibly Holland are a notch behind that. After that Belgium is arguably as strong of a team as anyone in the world right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2013, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,899 posts, read 8,451,925 times
Reputation: 4367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
* = LOCK for that position

Group A:
1.Brazil*
2.Croatia
3.Mexico
4.Cameroon

Group B:
1.Spain*
2.Netherlands
3.Chile
4.Australia*

Group C:
1.Colombia
2.Japan
3.Ivory Coast
4.Greece*

Group D:
1.Italy
2.England
3.Uruguay
4.Costa Rica*

Group E:
1.France*
2.Switzerland
3.Ecuador
4.Honduras*

Group F:
1.Argentina*
2.Nigeria
3.Bosnia
4.Iran*

Group G:
1.Germany
2.Portugal
3.Ghana*
4.USA*

Group H:
1.Belgium*
2.Russia*
3.South Korea*
4.Algeria*



Round of 16: -------------- Quarter Finals: ------------- Semi Finals: ------------ Final:

A1 (BRA) vs. B2 (NL)
------------------------------- BRA - ENG
C1 (COL) vs. D2 (ENG)
----------------------------------------------------------- BRA - GER
E1 (FRA) vs. F2 (NIG)
------------------------------- FRA - GER
G1 (GER) vs. H2 (RUS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BRA - ARG
B1 (SPA) vs. A2 (CRO)
------------------------------- SPA - ITA
D1 (ITA) vs. C2 (***)
----------------------------------------------------------- SPA - ARG
F1 (ARG) vs. E2 (SWI)
------------------------------- ARG - POR
H1 (BEL) vs. G2 (POR)


Love your predictions

specially ARG beasting SPA in semi
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top