U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,427,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The US were dealt a bad hand but they can handle it.

Best case:

Beat Ghana by 2 plus goal, draw with Portugal, lose to Germany by 1 or 2 goals. The you hope that Portugal loses to Germany (which they probably will) and struggle with Ghana.
The worst thing for the USA would be if Germany don't beat both Portugal and Ghana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 02:17 PM

719 posts, read 682,242 times
The hot weather issue is a bit overrated. The only actual problems should be in Manaus.
Natal, Recife and Salvador are usually very wet in that time of the year but very cloudy, and their average highs are below 30C. Fortaleza is something intermediate between Manaus and the three aforementioned cities.
Then Cuiaba can get high temperatures, but its winters are dry and the sun angle is lower.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:23 PM

734 posts, read 1,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
Here are the matches in the group stage that will take place in an environment of EXTREME HEAT:

Mexico x Cameroon - 1:00 PM in Natal

Germany x Portugal - 1:00 PM in Salvador

Costa Rica x Italy - 1:00 PM in Recife

Uruguay x Italy - 1:00 PM in Natal

Germany x USA - 1:00 PM in Recife

I say FIFA is insane if those games are kept to really happen at 1:00 PM
If this schedule is kept, then I like the USA's chances a whole lot more against Germany. This will be the final game of the group stage, which means that if Germany has already advanced, they may rest players a little bit, rather than subject them to two extremely exhausting games. Also, I think overall that USA players have a lot more experience playing in hot and humid conditions than German players (think of the CONCACAAF road games in Honduras, Costa Rica, and Mexico, and MLS, which plays right through the North American summer). IF conditions become a factor, I think the USA is in better shape.

I think the United States will have a hard time advancing, but nobody better think they will be an easy out, either. I could see them surprising Portugal and drawing Germany. Ghana's good but beatable, as long as playing them hasn't become a mental issue for the USA.

Who will advance from Group G? Give me a couple of days to think about it. However, I would say that almost3am hasn't seen any of the USA's games this year if he thinks the USA is a lock for 4th.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:33 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,379,000 times
The road ahead is a tough one but we will prevail.

Hulk Hogan agrees:

http://gifti.me/i/E1dJaGO.gif

Old 12-06-2013, 04:15 PM

782 posts, read 937,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike From NIU View Post
If this schedule is kept, then I like the USA's chances a whole lot more against Germany. This will be the final game of the group stage, which means that if Germany has already advanced, they may rest players a little bit, rather than subject them to two extremely exhausting games.
So what you are saying is that instead of having to play Reus, Ozil, and Gundogan you might see Muller, Gotze and Schweinny? Germany's third team is vastly superior to America's first, resting a few bodies isn't going to change the spanking that the give the US.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:19 PM

750 posts, read 921,482 times
US chances are small. Germany will win all 3 games easily even if they spare some starters against the US. Best case scenario US draws against Portugal and beat Ghana with a good goal advantage.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:28 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,109,741 times
Ghana are no mugs they are pacey and strong.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:29 PM

4,854 posts, read 6,379,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
So what you are saying is that instead of having to play Reus, Ozil, and Gundogan you might see Muller, Gotze and Schweinny? Germany's third team is vastly superior to America's first, resting a few bodies isn't going to change the spanking that the give the US.
Like that "spanking" in '02? Germany is always stacked. I don't like our odds against them but I wouldn't be shocked if we put up a good fight.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:43 PM

734 posts, read 1,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Like that "spanking" in '02? Germany is always stacked. I don't like our odds against them but I wouldn't be shocked if we put up a good fight.
Exactly. We have a much better team than in 2002. I agree, Germany is a better team and has more depth than the U.S. However, the gap has shrunk. If Germany plays sluggishly, even with its A-team, it would not be a surprise at all to come out with a draw or better if the U.S. plays a top-form game.

The U.S. has a major Achilles heel with the back line, and is the main concern going into next year. But if Klinsman can get the U.S. into the form they had in June/July, the U.S. could surprise a lot of people. I saw more smooth passes and great goal opportunities in 6 weeks this summer than I had in the previous 20 years combined. (Yes, that says a lot more about the historically abysmal USMNT attack than the current team, but still.)

No matter what, the Germans are favored. But the U.S. will not be scared of them or Portugal.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM

7,972 posts, read 10,109,741 times
Germany have a way better team than in 2002 also lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or