U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 06:27 PM

3,522 posts, read 3,925,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The US were dealt a bad hand but they can handle it.

Best case:

Beat Ghana by 2 plus goal, draw with Portugal, lose to Germany by 1 or 2 goals. The you hope that Portugal loses to Germany (which they probably will) and struggle with Ghana.
Last time USA and Ghana played in the world cup, Ghana won 2-1...
And the time before that, Ghana won 2-1...

Ghana need to beat Germany. It's really that simple.
The assumption should be that they'll beat the US once again...
So whoever can take the most points from Germany, wins.

Most critical, really, is the progression of games. Particularly, the last set.

The US will play Germany while Portugal will play Ghana in the last set of games. I can see US drawing with a lazy Germany that has already beaten Ghana and Portugal. But, if Ghana or Portugal get any points from Germany, their qualification won't be certain, as they'll have four points, likely with not too big of a goal difference as all those games will be tight...so Germany's last game may be a must win, or a must not lose for them...

The US will play Portugal second, right after they've probably lost points to Germany. Portugal is the better team...that won't be an easy game for the US if Portugal didn't get a point from Germany. Then again, Portugal is the type to draw against Germany and lose to the US....just to throw things off.

Ghana will play Germany second...I have no idea if they can beat the US three times straight. But,..they may be easily looking at 1 point after two games, assuming they lose to Germany and draw USA.

It's really disgusting.

I guess it's good football for the rest of the world...

But this is getting to be more stressful than it's worth lol

Last edited by dub dub II; 12-06-2013 at 06:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:51 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Do you know the reason? So Europe can watch the games on TV live in a comfortable time. Great, isn't it?
Thats how they make money. FIFA made 2.4 Billion dollars in TV rights last time. They need to telecast games in Europe at evening times and in Asia at very late night hours to satisfy TV broadcasters and corporates who show ads around the world. They need best possible time for Chinese audience as well as British for example. I was in India during 2006 World Cup. The craze was insane there and TV preshow and Commercials started 4 hours before the game which was at midnight. All these calculations come into play.

Last edited by munna21977; 12-06-2013 at 07:18 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 PM

3,660 posts, read 3,521,230 times
US will do well. We managed 1-1 draw against Italy in 2006 World Cup. We also had a draw 1-1 against England in 2010 World Cup. This is Football. Ghana is beatable and we can manage a draw against Portugal and just scrape thru.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:05 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,415,835 times
I cant believe we are this lucky, we are NEVER this lucky. Actually, we are never lucky at all. But now, not only our group is easy (wich actually isnt the most important thing, since i expected Argentina to go past group stages regardless of the group), but, most important, we are in the EASY SIDE of the draw. Meaning we will get fairly easy matchups in round of 16 (the awful switzerland group) and quarterfinals (belgium group)-

In semifinals, we could meet tough oposition, but,by then....who cares? Everytime Arg got to the semifinal, they advanced to the finals, and we will be almost at home, and we will have Messi. If we get to the semis, it would be a spirit thing, an epic battle, i think Argentina could win with the heart against anyone, cause getting to the semis would be so amazing for us!

And, also, we get to play our first round games in the cooler part of Brazil!

OMG, Arg is never lucky in world cups, this must be a signal that it is our turn to win it, FINALLY

Also, just heard that the first round matches are all played near were the team is staying, so they dont even have to travel much, they will be rested and cool!

this is all insane cause we are used to nothing working in our favour.

Im very hopeful about this

Old 12-06-2013, 07:38 PM

782 posts, read 936,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Like that "spanking" in '02? Germany is always stacked. I don't like our odds against them but I wouldn't be shocked if we put up a good fight.
You mean 2002 when Germany were at an all-time low pretty much for themselves? The same 2002 results that promtped a complete and total overhaul of the player development system in Germany which led to the world beating talent that they have now? Yes that is a "wonderful" comparison. Germany at it's lowest point in decades in 02, vs. Germany now with the best talent on the planet.

Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,415,835 times
On the other hand, i cant believe the BAD LUCK of Chile !

I mean, heres a very good southamerican side, with everything to prove (and i was expecting they would upset some usual suspects), and they got drawed with the 2 LAST WORLD CUP FINALISTS! Netherlands and Spain!! I mean, isnt that bad luck????? like the worst luck ever??

If Chile goes through group stages, i see them going very very far

But if they dont, it wont mean they are weak, they just got VERY unlucky.

It would be like if an european team with a lot to prove and said to be able to upset a lot of teams (like, say, Belgium) , would get drawn with Brazil and Argentina!!!

I would looooooooooooooove that in Chile´s group, Chile and Netherlands go through and spain is OUT in first round. It would be the best sensation ever , not as good as Arg winning world cup, but close

Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,364,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texantodd View Post
You mean 2002 when Germany were at an all-time low pretty much for themselves? The same 2002 results that promtped a complete and total overhaul of the player development system in Germany which led to the world beating talent that they have now? Yes that is a "wonderful" comparison. Germany at it's lowest point in decades in 02, vs. Germany now with the best talent on the planet.
Losing the World Cup Final to a Brazilian side stocked with talent is no small accomplishment. When that is the low point in decades then things are looking pretty good.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:25 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
* = LOCK for that position

Group A:
1.Brazil*
2.Mexico
3.Croatia
4.Cameroon

Group B:
1. Spain
2. Chile (I really can't chose between them,Spain is a slightly better team but Chile will enjoy the support of the crowd and is accustomed to playing in Brazil. so for now I'll go with quality which means Spain get's number 1 spot)
3. Holland*(yep your seeing right I locked the dutch out of the knock out round ain't no way there beating Chile in SA or Spain)
4.Australia*

Group C:
1. Colombia*
2. Ivory Coast
3. Greece
4. Japan

Group D:
1. Uruguay
2. Italy
3. England
4.Costa Rica*

Group E:
1.France*
2.Ecuador
3.Switzerland
4.Honduras*

Group F:
1.Argentina*
2.Bosnia
3.Nigeria
4.Iran*

Group G:
1.Germany*
2.Portugal
3.USA
4.Ghana

Group H:
1.Belgium*
2.Russia*
3.South Korea*
4.Algeria*

Round of 16: -------------- Quarter Finals: ------------- Semi Finals: ------------ Final:

A1 (BRA) vs. B2 (CHI)
------------------------------- BRA - COL
C1 (COL) vs. D2 (ITA)
----------------------------------------------------------- BRA - GER
E1 (FRA) vs. F2 (BIH)
------------------------------- FRA - GER
G1 (GER) vs. H2 (RUS)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BRA - ARG
B1 (ESP) vs. A2 (MEX)
------------------------------- ESP - URG
D1 (URG) vs. C2 (CIV)
----------------------------------------------------------- ARG - ESP
F1 (ARG) vs. E2 (ECU)
------------------------------- ARG - BEL
H1 (BEL) vs. G2 (POR)
I'm to lazy to write mine out so I'll just edit yours.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:30 PM

2,891 posts, read 3,289,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
On the other hand, i cant believe the BAD LUCK of Chile !

I mean, heres a very good southamerican side, with everything to prove (and i was expecting they would upset some usual suspects), and they got drawed with the 2 LAST WORLD CUP FINALISTS! Netherlands and Spain!! I mean, isnt that bad luck????? like the worst luck ever??

If Chile goes through group stages, i see them going very very far

But if they dont, it wont mean they are weak, they just got VERY unlucky.

It would be like if an european team with a lot to prove and said to be able to upset a lot of teams (like, say, Belgium) , would get drawn with Brazil and Argentina!!!

I would looooooooooooooove that in Chile´s group, Chile and Netherlands go through and Spain is OUT in first round. It would be the best sensation ever , not as good as Arg winning world cup, but close
don't worry I think Chile will advance quite comfortably from this group(not accounting for injuries and other unforeseen events) the only question for me is who wins the group Spain or Chile. I would hope Chile wins it so they can make a deep run and because a Brazil vs Spain round of 16 match would be increadable.

Old 12-07-2013, 03:00 AM

10,424 posts, read 12,419,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamihurricane555 View Post
I'm to lazy to write mine out so I'll just edit yours.
There is no way Greece will finish above Japan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or