U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:06 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,499,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
To you, maybe...
so there's no standard for cringe? Of course there is. Otherwise why not just name your team the Los Angeles Thundercats?

Kansas City Wizards? That's cheese. KC got it right by re-branding to Sporting Kansas City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 06:00 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post

Kansas City Wizards? That's cheese. KC got it right by re-branding to Sporting Kansas City
Yeah, and I addressed that.

Kansas City Wizards is cheesy because it referenced a 1930's film that had nothing to do with Kansas City. The other names are fine.

Not every single thing in American soccer HAS to conform to what Europe does. And even Europe has a few clubs with the "city/nickname" moniker.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:53 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,499,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Yeah, and I addressed that.

Kansas City Wizards is cheesy because it referenced a 1930's film that had nothing to do with Kansas City. The other names are fine.

Not every single thing in American soccer HAS to conform to what Europe does. And even Europe has a few clubs with the "city/nickname" moniker.
who said that it should?

I think most people recognize that Earthquakes is a really cheesy name for a soccer club, while Sounders, Union, and Whitecaps are not cheesy.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:02 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,176,091 times
Quote:
who said that it should?

I think most people recognize that Earthquakes is a really cheesy name for a soccer club, while Sounders, Union, and Whitecaps are not cheesy.
Earthquakes are deadly and devastating forces of nature.

How in God's name is that CHEESY?

Old 01-02-2014, 12:41 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,418,425 times
I was playing FIFA 13 on WII with my friend's teenage son. He picked his team and I picked Stoke. He said, who is Stoke? I said their nickname is the Potters...it was the running joke all night. "He beat me with...THE POTTERS...I can't believe it.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:34 PM

916 posts, read 820,677 times
Videoton

it's a Hungarian team that gone to the UEFA Cup final in 1985

it was named after their sponsor, a manifacturer of electrical goods, I suppose it means "tons of videos".

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 PM

358 posts, read 359,810 times
Quote:
so there's no standard for cringe? Of course there is. Otherwise why not just name your team the Los Angeles Thundercats?

Wizards certainly is cheesy, but "Sporting" is just as bad. What does it even mean? They are trying way too hard.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:02 PM

24,268 posts, read 18,778,731 times
FC Santa Claus, Rovaniemi, Finland.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,107,384 times
Fake Salt Lake, or, uh, I mean Real Salt Lake.

As a bit of an aside from the topic of this thread: to me, all the MLS teams with typical American city names and nicknames (no matter how cringe-inducing some of those nicknames may be to Aldous9) are preferable to the ones with names stolen from Europe, such as the aforementioned Real Salt Lake, DC United, Sporting Kansas City, even the couple that incorporate "FC", as relatively few people refer to the sport as football here. My favorite MLS team names are/were all cosmically related: LA Galaxy, the once and future NY Cosmos, and the erstwhile NY/NJ MetroStars. Loved the name "New England Revolution" when the league was first formed when I was a kid; still like it (I guess I'm no longer the would-be revolutionary that I was when I was ten).

Edit to say that I now see from the related threads listed at the bottom of this page that "crescent22" shares/d my viewpoint re: MLS team names (given all the responses he must've come under [Chicago] fire for expressing said viewpoint--I guess I'll read through the rest of the closed thread since the windchill is 20 below here in Buffalo and I don't feel like doing much besides idly reading soccer chat):

Lame MLS Euro-copy team names

Old 03-04-2014, 02:04 AM

6,953 posts, read 9,046,715 times
Real doesn't mean the word real. It means royal in Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or