U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 12:17 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,419,619 times

Advertisements

This was shocking news to me. Toronto FC has now signed Bradley, DeFoe, and Gilberto this offseason. That is a pretty big splash for any MLS club. $6.5M annual salary to boot for Bradley.

Michael Bradley’s deal with Toronto is complete, says Italian agent Alberto Faccini | ProSoccerTalk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:59 PM

3,849 posts, read 3,970,651 times
Shocking to me too. He plays for AS Roma currently #2 in Serie A, he's played 11 of 17 league matches despite an injury and could even play in the Champions League next year... plus he's still only 26! And it's Rome, anyone can be happy living in Rome.

So I don't get it, sounds at least 2 years premature. He is the US's best possession player though he doesn't cut it when asked to be more of a defensive middie.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:24 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,489 times
Good deal for Bradley but horrible for MLS. They are paying Bradley way over his market value and the opportunity cost is that money is not going into youth development.

Also, MLS has a farcical wage structure. Bradley and Defoe combined with be getting $16 mil while the rest of the squad combined will be getting just over $2 million. So you will have three good players playing alongside players on League 1 wages (and League 1 quality) with some academy players mixed in. If MLS wanted quality sides they would let clubs spread their wages around and field better balanced teams. This is about image, not quality.

It also makes me cringe that MLS, not Toronto, will be paying the transfer fee. No legitimate league would operate like this.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:32 PM

3,722 posts, read 3,880,228 times
It sends a bad message when there are so few American players who make an impact on any of the top 5 or 6 clubs in the big European leagues: England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal, Russia and Netherlands.

Apart from Tim Howard and Jermaine Jones, the US roster lacks any players who are currently making a name for themselves in Europe.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:00 PM

4,848 posts, read 6,362,529 times
A soccer player is one bad tackle away from a career ending injury. He's playing for a paycheck and he's taking an offer that doubles, at least, his salary in Italy. Good by him. It would have been better after the World Cup.

I'm guessing Bradley is looking to secure guaranteed playing time as well headed into the World Cup.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:23 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,500,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A soccer player is one bad tackle away from a career ending injury. He's playing for a paycheck and he's taking an offer that doubles, at least, his salary in Italy. Good by him. It would have been better after the World Cup.

I'm guessing Bradley is looking to secure guaranteed playing time as well headed into the World Cup.
It more than doubles his salary. I think he was on 500k at Roma. He's getting $6.5 million in MLS. This is way over his market value. MLS should not be offering these kind of salaries when most players in the league make less than 100k.

You can't blame Bradley for taking it. He had to take it.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:55 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,389,655 times
Money wise Bradley would be nuts not to take it.

I do agree on MLS with regard the purchases, wages and their dealings in transfers. They decide on who goes where. Hell there are some players on $24k a year in MLS, thats rediculous.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
It more than doubles his salary. I think he was on 500k at Roma. He's getting $6.5 million in MLS. This is way over his market value. MLS should not be offering these kind of salaries when most players in the league make less than 100k.

You can't blame Bradley for taking it. He had to take it.
I think I read that Bradley was making $1.1M USD after taxes for Roma and the $6.5M is before taxes. My rough calcs would make that a $4M annual increase for Bradley, pretty nice.

Last edited by almost3am; 01-10-2014 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: correcting my calcs

Old 01-10-2014, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Good deal for Bradley but horrible for MLS. They are paying Bradley way over his market value and the opportunity cost is that money is not going into youth development.

Also, MLS has a farcical wage structure. Bradley and Defoe combined with be getting $16 mil while the rest of the squad combined will be getting just over $2 million. So you will have three good players playing alongside players on League 1 wages (and League 1 quality) with some academy players mixed in. If MLS wanted quality sides they would let clubs spread their wages around and field better balanced teams. This is about image, not quality.

It also makes me cringe that MLS, not Toronto, will be paying the transfer fee. No legitimate league would operate like this.
Yeah, this is the major flaw with the MLS, huge wage disparity. There are just way too many players not making enough money in the league. Other than a few players, the league is basically a place for really young developing players and players that are older. The second tier wages needs to increase somehow. The better players are striving to make $150K/year in this league, which is a good salary for a regular job, but these players have a shelf life of about 10-15 years, if they don't get injured.

Until the MLS can squeeze more out of TV rights, it would help if the teams made more money out of the CONCACAF champions league or some other tournament, but they are just all such low profile at this stage.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:35 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,142,355 times
Toronto FC is going to be fun to watch. At least on paper they really improved! With the upcoming new TV deal MLS' quality will improve as there will be more money for teams and players. It's been a slow progression but I like what I'm seeing. (Go Real Salt Lake!)

-Cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer