Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times

Advertisements

Did anyone watch any of the MLS playoffs over the weekend? I watched most of the Sporting KC-New England game. First of all, it was a pretty physical ugly game, but the thing I hated the most is that it was played on the New England Patriots field. There were lines everywhere (due tot he Patriots game Sunday) and I found it difficult to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM

245 posts, read 298,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Did anyone watch any of the MLS playoffs over the weekend? I watched most of the Sporting KC-New England game. First of all, it was a pretty physical ugly game, but the thing I hated the most is that it was played on the New England Patriots field. There were lines everywhere (due tot he Patriots game Sunday) and I found it difficult to watch.
I watched part of the NE and Seattle games and both Houston & LA games
The best one was Houston both teams had a lot of chances to win it and the game is still open in the second leg
La had like a hundred chances but only converted the hardest into a goal. I think they will regret it as Salt Lake are strong at home
Sporting Kc although they lost but they have the upper hand in the second leg. I think Portland are the team that will most likely qualify to the semifinal out of the four games
The American football lines were also in the Seattle Sounders game (Seattle Seahawks) and also in the Houston game (I don't know why!!!)

Note: We are still in 2013

Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,494,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post

The American football lines were also in the Seattle Sounders game (Seattle Seahawks) and also in the Houston game (I don't know why!!!)
Texas Southern played there on Friday the 1st. Since they play on the 16th as well, count on those lines staying at the Bank. (Actually, TSU shares BBVA, so that's that.)

Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,401 times
I watched the second leg of the Galaxy - KC series. Salt Lake looked way better than in the first game, I thought, although LA missed some good chances.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:07 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,520 times
anyone a fan of these playoffs? The TV ratings are going to be shockingly low. I think American soccer fans are really starting to tune out this league.

what's the point of the playoffs? It's certainly not to find who the best team of the year was. That was already decided. New York Red Bulls finished with the most points.

The problem with MLS is that its run by ex-NFL goobers who think that soccer is the same as American football. Playoffs work in leagues like the NBA and NFL because in those sports there isn't as much luck and randomness that there is in soccer. In a typical NFL game there are dozens of mistakes my each team and there are many chances through the game to make up for those mistakes. But with soccer one mistake can lose you a game and there are very few opportunities to make up for it. That's why cup matches are so random and why you have teams like Chelsea that lose to 2nd tier clubs. Playoffs in soccer is just a horrible way to decide who your best team during the season was. The best way to decide that is the points system that most of Europe, Asia, and South America use.

If they would just look at Europe and give up on this idea of making soccer looks like other American sports I think people would start to follow this league. Go to a single table and get the champions league final and us open cup final so they take places right after the end of the season instead of in the middle of the season. Go to a fall to spring schedule with a winter break as well. Allow free agency. By not having free agency there is no interest during the off-season. Get rid of all these silly drafts. Man, I could go on and on. This league is such a mess.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:57 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,134,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
anyone a fan of these playoffs? The TV ratings are going to be shockingly low. I think American soccer fans are really starting to tune out this league.
I support the league (go DC United), but really think MLS loses it come late fall. Cold weather league and playoff matches competing against football, baseball, basketball, hockey, and international club soccer is a major problem and turnoff. By now I'd like to see the playoffs eliminated.

MLS matchs in the summer warmth feel natural, competing only against baseball. I feel Americans actually want more MLS during the summer, but come October, they want it over. League officials (and marketers) should reassess.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM

Report: WNBA games averaged more viewers this year than MLS

Report: WNBA games averaged more viewers this year than MLS | Soccer By Ives

Well..this says it all, doesn't it? American soccer fans are tuning out this league. I have my theories why. And yes quality is one of them. But what hurts the quality? Could it be that $3 million salary cap? But the reason I think Americans are tuning out MLS is because MLS has modeled itself after the NFL instead of modelling itself after the Bundesliga, or EPL or even the J-League. American soccer fans are getting to know the game of soccer through the Premier League and then they are looking at MLS and the odd way it structures its league and conducts business (no free agency forever) and they are saying no thanks.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,946 times
For a team "rebuilding" Real Salt Lake is playing very well. The team made changes after their 1-0 loss to the Galaxy in Los Angeles and they have played incredible. Velasquez, Findley and Sandoval have been stellar. As such, I was disappointed that RSL allowed that last goal to the Timbers at Rio Tinto. 4-2 is a whole lot better than losing 4-1. The Timbers will be a different team at their place. RSL cannot hunker down. They need to score. GO REAL SALT LAKE.

-Cheers.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:43 PM

245 posts, read 298,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
Report: WNBA games averaged more viewers this year than MLS

Report: WNBA games averaged more viewers this year than MLS | Soccer By Ives

Well..this says it all, doesn't it? American soccer fans are tuning out this league. I have my theories why. And yes quality is one of them. But what hurts the quality? Could it be that $3 million salary cap? But the reason I think Americans are tuning out MLS is because MLS has modeled itself after the NFL instead of modelling itself after the Bundesliga, or EPL or even the J-League. American soccer fans are getting to know the game of soccer through the Premier League and then they are looking at MLS and the odd way it structures its league and conducts business (no free agency forever) and they are saying no thanks.

The playoff system is just a waste of time. Usually in Europe the end of the season playoff is for Champions league and Europa league spots or relegation. The only advantage in these playoffs are the two Concacaf champions league places awarded. I agree they should follow a different model like what NASL did this season, they followed the South and Central American league format.

Considering the playoffs I think RSL are going to the final. RSL will not play an open game like Seattle did therefore it will be hard for them to conceide. I also see Sporting KC in the final. Houston don't have a big lead like last year to defend against Kansas

Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mos1992 View Post
The playoff system is just a waste of time. Usually in Europe the end of the season playoff is for Champions league and Europa league spots or relegation. The only advantage in these playoffs are the two Concacaf champions league places awarded. I agree they should follow a different model like what NASL did this season, they followed the South and Central American league format.

Considering the playoffs I think RSL are going to the final. RSL will not play an open game like Seattle did therefore it will be hard for them to conceide. I also see Sporting KC in the final. Houston don't have a big lead like last year to defend against Kansas
confused by this. There isn't a playoff in Europe to decide CL or Europa qualification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer