U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 AM

750 posts, read 921,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
I imagine its a temporary glitch, they haven't come off the high of winning the WC. They'll win the group and do well in the Euro's.
It could be but I also wonder how much long-term damage the absence of Lahm will do, their defense is not nearly the same it had been in the WC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 02:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,400,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
So, wasn't Germany supposed to dominate world soccer for now on? Looks like they haven't been able to handle even Europe...
Are you still not over Brazil's pathetic display during the WC? Are you really going to whine every time a top European team screws up? How sad.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:57 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,428,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Are you still not over Brazil's pathetic display during the WC? Are you really going to whine every time a top European team screws up? How sad.
I took his point as after the WC many major publications talked about how Germany has built up a major soccer development machine that should dominate for years to come.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I took his point as after the WC many major publications talked about how Germany has built up a major soccer development machine that should dominate for years to come.
Germany made it to four consecutive WC semi-finals and two consecutive Euro finals in the past decade. Of course they're a dominant force in football and there is absolutely no reason to believe they won't be dominant in the future, even though *some* people pretend like Germany is dependent on a single player or that one ECQ loss proves they're overrated.

Old 10-13-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Wow. Calm down, how did the Netherlands do today?

I think you missed the point. Yes, my comment has to do with the impression the Germany team had passed after the WC, that they would dominate world soccer for a while, due to their obvious collective advantage. I do not think they depend on a single player, that's in fact their very winning philosophy, but I do think they look rather more vulnerable on their defense. It is very early after the WC and them being trashed by Argentina at their home without Messi was just a friendly match, I know, but I guess time will tell us.

Last edited by Indyking; 10-13-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 10-13-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Germany made it to four consecutive WC semi-finals and two consecutive Euro finals in the past decade. Of course they're a dominant force in football and there is absolutely no reason to believe they won't be dominant in the future, even though *some* people pretend like Germany is dependent on a single player or that one ECQ loss proves they're overrated.
Do I think Germany are a great team? Yes.
Do short term results equal long term greatness? No.
Is this a minor bump in the road for Germany? Most likely.
Does Germany currently have an issue at the back? Yes.
Was I happy that Germany lost to Poland? Yes, I generally like underdogs.

I was not trying to flare your emotions, but it appears I accidentally did.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Do I think Germany are a great team? Yes.
Do short term results equal long term greatness? No.
Is this a minor bump in the road for Germany? Most likely.
Does Germany currently have an issue at the back? Yes.
Was I happy that Germany lost to Poland? Yes, I generally like underdogs.

I was not trying to flare your emotions, but it appears I accidentally did.
Short term results? Have you looked at Germany's track record of the past 40 years? There's not a single country in the world that has done better. Tell me how that is not long term domination? Just to give you a quick summary:

1974: champions
1978: second group stage
1982: runners-up
1986: runners-up
1990: champions
1994: QF
1998: QF
2002: runners-up
2006: third place
2010: third place
2014: champions

But yeah, let's see what the future brings before we call Germany a dominant force in football

Old 10-13-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Short term results? Have you looked at Germany's track record of the past 40 years? There's not a single country in the world that has done better. Tell me how that is not long term domination? Just to give you a quick summary:

But yeah, let's see what the future brings before we call Germany a dominant force in football
For the big guys, runner-up, third or fourth place means absolutely nothing in a world cup. In fact, back in 2002, after losing that WC final and successive failures since 1990, Germany decided to think long term and invest better in their young talents to build a strong squad thinking ahead. Still, it took them 12 years including losing a WC at home to finally win the WC again.

I would be a fool to question Germany's relevance in world football since its existence, but to say that they have dominated football for the past 40 years is just plain ridiculous.

Last edited by Indyking; 10-13-2014 at 07:00 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:

Man, you have some kind of issue, not sure what it is...What short term results...they lost a game. Does that mean they aren't great in the long term? No. Got it?

Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 PM

Germany playing at home 1x1 Ireland. Oookay. I will keep quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer