U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 04:00 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,389,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Man, you have some kind of issue, not sure what it is...What short term results...they lost a game. Does that mean they aren't great in the long term? No. Got it?
Do you even bother to read your own posts or what you're responding to? It's exactly my point that one loss during the ECQ does not mean Germany is not a great team in the long term.

Perhaps you don't realize the agenda Indyking has with his posts. He has been bashing European teams for months. He spams me with PMs every time the Netherlands loses or draws. Now he's saying Germany's record (four consecutive WC semi-finals!) is not impressive because the WC semi-final or even final means "absolutely nothing" to the big teams. Please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 04:12 PM

750 posts, read 919,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
. Now he's saying Germany's record (four consecutive WC semi-finals!) is not impressive because the WC semi-final or even final means "absolutely nothing" to the big teams.
It means absolutely nothing if you don't win the title and you know exactly what I'm talking about as an orange fan

In fact, being in WC semi-finals so many times in a roll and not make it is exactly the biggest frustration German fans were having before this WC and they almost let it go again!!! Have Di Maria played that game, I think things could have been different.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:58 AM

7,550 posts, read 16,385,177 times
Was a great result for Ireland last night, cant believe we didnt get hammered. Disappointed to see Scotland lose their lead though.

Consecutive WC semi final's does not mean "nothing". Obviously its frustrating but it proves you have consistently being one of the best teams in the world for decades. Hardly nothing.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Consecutive WC semi final's does not mean "nothing". Obviously its frustrating but it proves you have consistently being one of the best teams in the world for decades. Hardly nothing.
It really depends. You don't see massive gathering of people in Germany, Italy, Brazil or Argentina to celebrate a semifinal exit in a world cup. That's something fans of less traditional teams would do and there are dozens of them in every continent. Anyone who follows international football long enough knows that consecutive semifinal exits in a WC is rather a bad sign and it shows that something needs to be done to fix this chronic choking just before reaching the finish line. Once again, it was exactly the 3 consecutive failures of the Germans after the 1990 WC win that triggered restructuring of their philosophy. So, while "nothing" may be a little radical, well it is not very far from the reality just the same.

Last edited by Indyking; 10-15-2014 at 08:42 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 07:54 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
Do you even bother to read your own posts or what you're responding to? It's exactly my point that one loss during the ECQ does not mean Germany is not a great team in the long term.

Perhaps you don't realize the agenda Indyking has with his posts. He has been bashing European teams for months. He spams me with PMs every time the Netherlands loses or draws. Now he's saying Germany's record (four consecutive WC semi-finals!) is not impressive because the WC semi-final or even final means "absolutely nothing" to the big teams. Please
Yes, i read my own posts, you should too :doubtful:. I have no agenda for or against euro teams, unlike you.

My first post, all I was saying was why I thought Indy responded the way he did, nothing more. Then i clarified that I thought Germany are a great team, and you were still upset for some reason. I know you and Indy have this Euro/LatAm thing going on, but I have no idea what you guys do with private messages. If you go back and read what I said in my first post :doubtful: that you somehow got angry about, and then the second post that you were still angry about (and you took one line out of context), and if you could see past your relationship with another poster, you may be embarrassed by your responses :doubtful:.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Was a great result for Ireland last night, cant believe we didnt get hammered. Disappointed to see Scotland lose their lead though.

Did you watch the game? I only saw highlights on ESPNFC, because I wanted to watch the US underachieve last night, so I don't know how the game flowed. I was surprised by the result and happy for Ireland. My Irish friend here at work couldn't stop talking about going to France this morning.

Old 10-15-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I have no idea what you guys do with private messages.
The private message thing is exaggeration, I sent one message regarding the Netherlands loss to Czech Rep, that was it. They have lost 3/4 post WC games and I noticed that only now after reading an article about the Eurocup qualifiers. Everything else we discussed by PM was my idea of keeping our arguments private and avoid ruining the thread. I do not have an anti-European soccer thing as Linda claims. I'm a huge Barcelona fan. I spend more time watching European football than S. America, but I also have little sympathy for Eurocentric fans who think football outside Europe is irrelevant. Hardly.

Last edited by Indyking; 10-15-2014 at 08:53 AM..

Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,656,983 times
England are the only top-seeded team heading a group. An interesting turn of events.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Did you watch the game? I only saw highlights on ESPNFC, because I wanted to watch the US underachieve last night, so I don't know how the game flowed. I was surprised by the result and happy for Ireland. My Irish friend here at work couldn't stop talking about going to France this morning.
We kept them at bay and that was about it until we changed up in the 70th ish minute. I cant remember. Then we picked it up a bit better and got that last gasp goal which left us with that result which way exceeded my expectations. There is still a LONG way to go. Realistically Germany will win the group with 2-4th between Ireland Scotland and Poland. I think we are the 3rd strongest in the group behind Poland but I would love to see us finish 2nd and Scotland as best placed 3rd but I am not confident about anything yet as its too early and we have more than enough time to screw up.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 AM

I get what youre saying, theyre not happy about not winning but they still know they are consistently one of the worlds strongest teams over the last couple of decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
It really depends. You don't see massive gathering of people in Germany, Italy, Brazil or Argentina to celebrate a semifinal exit in a world cup. That's something fans of less traditional teams would do and there are dozens of them in every continent. Anyone who follows international football long enough knows that consecutive semifinal exits in a WC is rather a bad sign and it shows that something needs to be done to fix this chronic choking just before reaching the finish line. Once again, it was exactly the 3 consecutive failures of the Germans after the 1990 WC win that triggered restructuring of their philosophy. So, while "nothing" may be a little radical, well it is not very far from the reality just the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer