Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2014, 05:44 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,242,864 times

Advertisements

All I know is that I'll be telling my children about Robben & Van Persie, and about that final we lost in ET and that semi-final we lost on penalties. Who knows what the future brings, this might well be the last generation to make it this far for a long time. It took Argentina 28 years to make it to another final.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 05:54 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,912,524 times
i thought argentina played a lot better than the dutch. they practically shot them down from even attempting a shot on goal, which to me speaks volume as to who was better. im semi debating that if di maria was in, argentina would have scored one time during regulation because the Netherlands was far from even being a threat. they had to take it to basically OT last time to advance. i feel like their luck just ran out this time.

Old 07-09-2014, 05:55 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
All I know is that I'll be telling my children about Robben & Van Persie, and about that final we lost in ET and that semi-final we lost on penalties. Who knows what the future brings, this might well be the last generation to make it this far for a long time. It took Argentina 28 years to make it to another final.
Well, beats my stories to my children, which include an extra time own goal in 1997 against Hungary that dropped us from the 1998 WC quali-play offs, and that one goal we didn't score in Portugal 2007 which would have qualified us to Euro 2008.

But I understand what your point is, sure.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Fair enough, considering the current mood right now. But maybe it brings some consolation. One more win to end the tournament, trashing the hosts, and bring something home. I don't know, it would do it for me. And it may be a good match, like this one in 2002:

Poor quality, but love the graphics and the endless goooooools.
Or we lose that match and go home feeling even worse than today. Brazil will be far more motivated to win than we are after that thrashing Germany gave them.

I just hope the final will be a memorable one and Messi shows everyone why he is the best player in the world

Old 07-09-2014, 06:10 PM

750 posts, read 1,065,085 times
Netherlands has a lot of history in soccer for their fans to tell their children. They have had some of the best players in the world and they continue making good new players. It is really too bad they have never won an WC. Based on the lifetime legacy in soccer, they deserved a trophy more than Spain and France IMHO.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Well, beats my stories to my children, which include an extra time own goal in 1997 against Hungary that dropped us from the 1998 WC quali-play offs, and that one goal we didn't score in Portugal 2007 which would have qualified us to Euro 2008.

But I understand what your point is, sure.
If we go back that far I can add another lost WC semi-final and Euro semi-final, both on penalties. And how we failed to even qualify for the WC right after that only to make it another semi-final the very next Euro. I'm sure my children will be proud

Old 07-09-2014, 06:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,804,723 times
Quote:
Or we lose that match and go home feeling even worse than today. Brazil will be far more motivated to win than we are after that thrashing Germany gave them.
OR you could put Krul in goal and concede like 10 penalties to Brazil, and look how many he catches. Would be a spectacle.

Quote:
If we go back that far I can add another lost WC semi-final and Euro semi-final, both on penalties. And how we failed to even qualify for the WC right after that (lost play-off) only to make it another semi-final the very next Euro. I'm sure my children will be proud
Beats war stories, or that stupid journey to the Canarias in 1999 when that one guy had a funny hat. Or that one big pike daddy almost did catch in 1995 or something.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Netherlands has a lot of history in soccer for their fans to tell their children. They have had some of the best players in the world and they continue making good new players. It is really too bad they have never won an WC. Based on the lifetime legacy in soccer, they deserved a trophy more than Spain and France IMHO.
I wouldn't go that far. We should have won the WC in 1974/78 or 1998. But that French team in 1998 was truly legendary and they beat Brazil 3-0 in the final so you can't argue with that. And although Spain is much criticised these days, people will still be talking about this tiki-taka generation decades from now.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:40 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,617,606 times
I don't know how the Dutch feel about it but isn't it better to die attacking that losing in PK's???? The game of course was very very ' tactical'. Kind of even-steven either way. I don't begrudge the Argies for winning but a very very good team could have been in the final too!
Gotta grasp the moment!

Old 07-09-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
i thought argentina played a lot better than the dutch. they practically shot them down from even attempting a shot on goal, which to me speaks volume as to who was better. im semi debating that if di maria was in, argentina would have scored one time during regulation because the Netherlands was far from even being a threat. they had to take it to basically OT last time to advance. i feel like their luck just ran out this time.
We must have seen a different game then because from my pov, Argentina barely had any real chances either. Argentina had 8 shots (5 on target) compared to 7 for the Netherlands (3 on target). Both had an equal number of corner kicks and offsides while the Netherlands slightly dominated ball possession (53%). This was probably the most even match-up I've seen this entire WC. No team deserved to win more than the other so I can live with the fact that it went to penalties. It's just a shame to miss out on the final this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer