Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2014, 07:09 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Messi getting the golden ball is the biggest farce ever..
Absolutely, it was preordained for Messi to win it. And the constant hype and obsession was downright simple-minded. But let's remember, the World Cup is also for kids.

Diego Maradona said it well:

“Messi? I would give him heaven if possible,” the 1986 World Cup winner said on his television show on Telesur. “But it’s not right when someone wins something that he shouldn’t have won just because of some marketing plan.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 AM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
That's probably what the Spaniards said 4 years ago when it was given to Sneijder

Lately they have been giving the ball to the best player in the losing team.
But Sneijder was far more instrumental to that Netherlands team than Messi was to Argentina. He was invisible for most of the tournament. If it's some unofficial rule to give the golden ball to a player of the losing team, give it to Mascherano instead. I said before the tournament even started that Messi or Neymar was going to win the golden ball. FIFA is so predictable.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:51 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,618,183 times
Messi...A great player. But so was Mascherano who I thought should have won the accolade. A workhorse. Defender, midfielder link and sometime attacker. He has it all. Arguably I'd think Liverpool might have had a title already with him Unfortunately, he left. Anyway offensive guys seem to get the most laurels. People love scorers!

Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
Quote:
That's probably what the Spaniards said 4 years ago when it was given to Sneijder

4 years ago the Golden Ball was given to Diego Forlan not Wesley Sneijder.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:59 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I was reading the winners of teh awards post-world cup and thought, "did the voters actually watch this world cup?"

Old 07-14-2014, 09:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:

Forlan won the Golden Ball 4 years ago, Not Sneijder

Old 07-14-2014, 09:27 AM

Who would you name as your All-Star team for this WC?

I would go with:

Neuer
Lahm, Hummels, Mascherano, Boateng
Muller, James Rodriguez, Pogba, Messi
Neymar, Van Persie

Enner Valencia is a very close third for that 2nd striker spot for me.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:19 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
Forlan won the Golden Ball 4 years ago, Not Sneijder
Still, Forlan was amazing in 2010 and was instrumental in Uruguay reaching the semifinals.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:23 AM

750 posts, read 1,065,169 times
The golden ball candidates are chosen by FIFA techinical committee but selected members of the soccer media covering the WC are the ones who cast their votes before the final game.

So, as much as I would like to blame FIFA on the poor choice of Messi, I can't. It was right to have him among the candidates but he should not have won it in this WC. You could even tell during the cerimony post-game that he was not happy about it.

Old 07-14-2014, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
The golden ball candidates are chosen by FIFA techinical committee but selected members of the soccer media covering the WC are the ones who cast their votes before the final game.

So, as much as I would like to blame FIFA on the poor choice of Messi, I can't. It was right to have him among the candidates but he should not have won it in this WC. You could even tell during the cerimony post-game that he was not happy about it.
I think Messi was more upset at losing the game, not the award he was given. The whole Argentina team had the same sad, dejected face as they took the long walk of shame up to the podium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer