U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 02:49 PM

10,428 posts, read 12,433,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid View Post
Columbia can beat brazil...james rodriguez is on fire
Brazil won 3/5 world cups organized in the Americas since 1962 (28 wins, 7 draws and ONLY 1 loss -a penalty shootout in 1986-).
Scoring 64 goals and only 19 against in those 5 cups.
In the 2 world cups they didn't win they finished 3rd and 5th.

Conclusion: Brazil is stronger than anyone when playing in the Americas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 02:51 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,550,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Brazil won 3/5 world cups organized in the Americas since 1962 (28 wins, 7 draws and ONLY 1 loss -a penalty shootout in 1986-).
Scoring 64 goals and only 19 against.

That's not what it looked like against Chile. Chile had to royally mess up for Brazil to win. This team is just not as good as advertised.

Old 07-02-2014, 02:53 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,426,852 times
Quote:

History = Present?

Old 07-02-2014, 04:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 12,433,840 times
Quote:
History = Present?
History repeats itself especially in football.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 PM

3,912 posts, read 4,855,871 times
Colombia over Brazil
Germany over France
Dutch win
Belgium over Argentina

Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,424,521 times
Look, this is so cool

2 cameras in random rooftops in the 13 millon people city of Buenos Aires right before Di Marias agonic goal that put us in quarterfinals. You see how it is all silence and then GOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL...its like the city waking up in a big infinite scream

amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUeJFVQa17k

2nd camera at 1:03 is even more impressive....gave me goosebumps

Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,111,078 times
Quote:
History repeats itself especially in football.
There's a British historian who concluded that the only lesson we learn from history is that there is/are no lesson(s) to be learned. History can certainly repeat itself in some cases (due to general predictably static nature of human nature for one thing, also the generally predictable natural cycles), but it's ultimately all a scarily unprecedented deal. Everything is caused by an ever-changing set of circumstances that has no historical precedent, in the strictest sense. The best we can ever do is a statistical approximation (and most of these are in fact adequate for our mundane purposes). But, based on the general success of this heuristic, we fool ourselves into thinking that the "lessons" of history are more valuable than they are. When humanity eventually goes extinct, there will have been no real lessons one could futilely search for...it will just happen, as the physical world is expansive beyond our comprehension and essentially chaotic, and we are all oblivious in all moments, certainly not excluding the moments leading up to whatever meteorite or nuclear event or viral calamity does us in for once and for all. Just as people are entirely oblivious on an individual level regarding their own impending mortality. I have something like 110 billion case studies to draw from in terms of approaching the finality of death, all of which teach me nothing. No one from history can tell me how to prepare for my own death, despite far far too many historical examples from which I may draw. Everyone succumbed without knowing when exactly they will pass. Everyone. EVERYONE.

In other words, Colombia advances versus Brasil on Friday, 2-1 if I must guess.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:02 AM

750 posts, read 920,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
That's not what it looked like against Chile. Chile had to royally mess up for Brazil to win. This team is just not as good as advertised.
Quote:
History = Present?
A recurring problem in this world cup is how much Brazil is being over criticized and other teams overrated. Colombia is an overrated team. If you look at the stats of the game Brazil vs. Chile, it would have been so unfair if Chile won that game in the PK. Brazil had more possession, more shots on goal, better passing and stealing. Chile is a very good team, in my opinion the best one in the round of 16 that came as second in their group from the group stage. Colombia is playing well but what major challenge they have faced so far? Uruguay? I don't think so; clearly the Celeste was not very motivated to beat the Colombians in that game. Yes, Brazil team has a lot of problems, mainly in the midfield and they are under extreme pressure to win this WC playing at home but overal they are still a better team than Colombia.

I think Brazil will pass, and I would not be surprised if it goes much easier than it was playing against Chile.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-03-2014 at 06:11 AM..

Old 07-03-2014, 06:41 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,657,660 times
Quote:

And up until 2010, no European nation had ever won a WC held outside of Europe. But that's now over.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:47 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,400,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
A recurring problem in this world cup is how much Brazil is being over criticized and other teams overrated. Colombia is an overrated team. If you look at the stats of the game Brazil vs. Chile, it would have been so unfair if Chile won that game in the PK. Brazil had more possession, more shots on goal, better passing and stealing. Chile is a very good team, in my opinion the best one in the round of 16 that came as second in their group from the group stage. Colombia is playing well but what major challenge they have faced so far? Uruguay? I don't think so; clearly the Celeste was not very motivated to beat the Colombians in that game. Yes, Brazil team has a lot of problems, mainly in the midfield and they are under extreme pressure to win this WC playing at home but overal they are still a better team than Colombia.

I think Brazil will pass, and I would not be surprised if it goes much easier than it was playing against Chile.
Yes Brazil will get free penalties kicks and will make it to the finals. Netherlands will do the same kind of diving and will also be awarded for their great Oscar Winning performances.

Everything is fair here. Soccer has always been a game of fairness. Deceive and you shall be rewarded with free penalty kicks. You know because it is soooo hard to score in a penalty kick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or