U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 07:02 AM

750 posts, read 919,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Yes Brazil will get free penalties kicks and will make it to the finals. Netherlands will do the same kind of diving and will also be awarded for their great Oscar Winning performances.

Everything is fair here. Soccer has always been a game of fairness. Deceive and you shall be rewarded with free penalty kicks. You know because it is soooo hard to score in a penalty kick.
I would hate to see Brazil going to PK after deserving the win in regular time like it happened against Chile but soccer can be cruel sometimes.

I like Miguel Herrera, but he made a big mistake in the game against Holland. After Mexico scored the first goal, he replaced Giovani for a midfielder. He packed the midfiled and invited the Dutch to attack. It was too early (61st minute) in my opinion.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-03-2014 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 07:07 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,045,082 times
Quote:
Yes Brazil will get free penalties kicks and will make it to the finals. Netherlands will do the same kind of diving and will also be awarded for their great Oscar Winning performances.

Everything is fair here. Soccer has always been a game of fairness. Deceive and you shall be rewarded with free penalty kicks. You know because it is soooo hard to score in a penalty kick.
I used to think diving was a wrong thing to do but now I think it's worse that players make fouls that go unpunished than that players exaggerate the foul in order to draw attention to it.

If you don't want a penalty against you then keep your hands or feet off the other player. It's very simple.

If the diving is not the result of a foul then that is something to legitimately moan about and it should be punished.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:36 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
I used to think diving was a wrong thing to do but now I think it's worse that players make fouls that go unpunished than that players exaggerate the foul in order to draw attention to it.

If you don't want a penalty against you then keep your hands or feet off the other player. It's very simple.

If the diving is not the result of a foul then that is something to legitimately moan about and it should be punished.
I assume he was referencing the Fred and Robben dives. Generally, I do agree with you that getting away with things can be worse than over exaggeration. Actually, I don't mind exaggeration on the field, but when falling from minimal contact...that bothers me. No contact is obviously worse.

As an aside, referees, in my opinion, do the best they can but they can make huge mistakes. They must not only position themselves see the field and players appropriately, but go from experience to make a call.

We can watch fouls on replay, the referees cannot. I am amazed how many times I have complained about a call, but then see the replay and realize the referee was correct. Most often I now keep my mouth shut until I see a replay.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:56 AM

Soccer is not the only sport which faking a foul is used to take advantage. Diving is part of the game and anyone who is shocked by some controversial calls in this WC either don’t like soccer or do not understand the game. I do not think the referees in Fred and Robben's case intentionally made wrong calls, as pointed out, it's often difficult, keep in mind they have to make a quick decision over a play they just caught a glimpse of. To be honest these controversial calls tend to be a roadblock for teams along the tournament. Ever since that call over Fred, referees are being ultra conservative about any tackle Brazilian players are getting and not calling them. There was a PK in favor of Brazil in the Chile game that was not called for instance. The same is going to happen with Holland. That alleged dive will haunt them for the next games until the end.

Old 07-03-2014, 09:51 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Soccer is not the only sport which faking a foul is used to take advantage. Diving is part of the game and anyone who is shocked by some controversial calls in this WC either don’t like soccer or do not understand the game. I do not think the referees in Fred and Robben's case intentionally made wrong calls, as pointed out, it's often difficult, keep in mind they have to make a quick decision over a play they just caught a glimpse of. To be honest these controversial calls tend to be a roadblock for teams along the tournament. Ever since that call over Fred, referees are being ultra conservative about any tackle Brazilian players are getting and not calling them. There was a PK in favor of Brazil in the Chile game that was not called for instance. The same is going to happen with Holland. That alleged dive will haunt them for the next games until the end.
I agree with you...but diving still annoys the crap out of me...true diving, where players barely get touched. I don't mind exaggerating true fouls to inform the ref...or grabbing the ball after being knocked down to force the ref's hand. Diving in the box is even worse.

I also agree on Brazil, they are not getting calls the once did. For example, Neymar got clobbered right in front of the ref against Chile, but there was no call. That goes to Fred's fake fall...also why I said Robben will get a yellow for diving in the next game.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I agree with you...but diving still annoys the crap out of me...true diving, where players barely get touched. I don't mind exaggerating true fouls to inform the ref...or grabbing the ball after being knocked down to force the ref's hand. Diving in the box is even worse.

I also agree on Brazil, they are not getting calls the once did. For example, Neymar got clobbered right in front of the ref against Chile, but there was no call. That goes to Fred's fake fall...also why I said Robben will get a yellow for diving in the next game.
That's exactly right and the diving and drama sometimes drives me crazy too, but I love soccer and I hate when people use that as an argument to bash it in comparison with other sports or to say that the referees are helping the big traditional teams in this WC. It is just not true; a lot of the small teams had difficult controversial calls too, but of course, people and the journalists will pay attention just to the ones over the famous players. Rafa Marquez is such good experienced player, he should have known that tackling Robben within the big box in the last play of the game was way too risky, but it's easy for me to say, soccer is also a game of nerves. I can hardly blame him at all.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:22 PM

3,848 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post

Here, Here! This doesn't get said enough. Soccer at high levels is loaded with fouling. The "best" fouls are when the attacking team has a truly dangerous foray going and a defender stops it with a 'professional foul' and if no yellow or penalty, it's win-win for the defense. So often the best attacks are eliminated with fouls and IMHO it is bad for the game.

And a "dive" at the end of an incredible foray at high speed (like many of Robben's) is hardly dishonest at all. It's rare when I have any angst over a "dive," only if the diver has accomplished nothing does it bother me.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:39 PM

8,071 posts, read 5,391,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
Diving is part of the game and anyone who is shocked by some controversial calls in this WC either don’t like soccer or do not understand the game.
No one is shocked just bored and unimpressed. This World Cup has had way too many penalty kicks.

By the way we are expressing opinions about the World Cup as the title of this thread says. This a thread about the World Cup not about how much Indyking or other posters know about soccer.

Old 07-03-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
No one is shocked just bored and unimpressed. This World Cup has had way too many penalty kicks.

By the way we are expressing opinions about the World Cup as the title of this thread says. This a thread about the World Cup not about how much Indyking or other posters know about soccer.
Boring? This is the best WC in a very long time and you think it is boring? Do you think a PK is actually a boring part of soccer? Oookay.

Yes, you got that part right, I do know a lot about soccer , but showing that is not my point here. I was just giving my opinion on how much diving is an essential part of the game, no matter how annoying it can be for some people.

Old 07-03-2014, 03:00 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,534,996 times
This cup has been anything but boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or