U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 10:07 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,557,655 times

Advertisements

Then you're in the minority about Chile, most who saw the game thought they played the better game and deserved to win. They're commended by nearly everyone who saw the game for exposing Brazil as a rather weak team vs their hype.

For the final as much I want to see a Brazil vs Argentina match, it may come down to Germany vs Holland. I just don't see Argentina as being hungry for this. Their games have been really boring and lacked that spirit.

The Netherlands and Germany have been really exciting. They want this cup. I like that. I think that's what will win this tournament. I just don't know what's up with Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 12:15 AM
Status: "Love, Goodness, and Kindness Will Prevail . . ." (set 3 days ago)

2,744 posts, read 3,275,593 times
Don't know about the rest of you'ze, but I'm already starting to feel World Cup withdrawals as the finale draws near.

Old 07-08-2014, 12:30 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,557,655 times
Yeah same here, lol. It's almost as of the cup never even went on.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:51 AM

750 posts, read 921,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Then you're in the minority about Chile, most who saw the game thought they played the better game and deserved to win. They're commended by nearly everyone who saw the game for exposing Brazil as a rather weak team vs their hype.

For the final as much I want to see a Brazil vs Argentina match, it may come down to Germany vs Holland. I just don't see Argentina as being hungry for this. Their games have been really boring and lacked that spirit.

The Netherlands and Germany have been really exciting. They want this cup. I like that. I think that's what will win this tournament. I just don't know what's up with Argentina.
As I said before, everybody that wanted Chile to advance will keep saying that they deserved to win the game against Brazil, no surprises. That hardly tells the true facts of the game though. Check the stats to see the dominance of Brazil.

I agree the current Brazil is far from what we have seen in the past but I also have to say the expectations for their performance are often far greater than any other team and it has been at its maximum now because they are playing at home. All I'm saying is that it is unfair to say Brazil did not earn their place in the semifinals because that is just not true. The stats tell the history of the games and just go back and check every game if you are in doubt. They also had to toughest opponents in the round of 16 and quarters and their group stage games against Croacia and Mexico wasn't exactly a breeze.

As for the semifinals, Germany is stronger than Brazil, no question. They have far better team chemistry and Brazil is missing 2 of its best players for the game today. Do you know how many times the Brazil's squad starting the game today have played together? Zero! As for Germany, they have pretty much the same squad working together for 5 years. Honestly, it's hard to see how in the world Brazil can beat them today, but if I was rooting for Germany I would not start celebrating just yet.

As much as I think it would be cool for the Dutch to finally win their first WC, I see Argentina with little more chances of winning the game tomorrow. Argentina will have the ball possession and the game of Holland is a little predictable; they rely on the direct connection between defense and attack with quick sprints mainly with Robben in the right or long passes to Persie or Snyder. Argentina have plenty of quality to stop that I think and Messi is far more creative to help the poor performing Argentina midfield on creating a play that can decide the game. It's just my opinion, is not to say that Holland cannot win of course.

Last edited by Indyking; 07-08-2014 at 06:02 AM..

Old 07-08-2014, 06:52 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,403,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Don't know about the rest of you'ze, but I'm already starting to feel World Cup withdrawals as the finale draws near.

Not having a game a day sucks! lol

Im looking forward to today, I think Germany deserves to go through and are the better side this tournament but Brazil will probably pip it.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:57 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,711,517 times
Re: Brazil being ' more physical and less beautiful'..

For sure. We can kiss jogo bonito goodbye. People who have watched Brazil can see this.
Perhaps the game is really what pro football is all about...intimidation and a physicality that only the best athletes can endure. The 'beautiful game' arguably could be gone. Oh I forgot the diving and 'working' the officials is a part of the game now that is to be managed just like making sure H2o is all over the place.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:01 AM

7,551 posts, read 16,403,415 times
I dont think "the beautiful game" is gone. Far from it. You have to look at the WC for what it is and its the absolute highest tournament in world football. You cant afford to make a mistake, creative freedoms probably go on the back burner a bit and things have to be a bit more precise and robotic. There is a lot a stake in these games.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM

2,992 posts, read 4,425,296 times
I also disagree that jogo bonito is gone. This is one class of players, Brazil has a weakness upfront but came up with a solid midfield. You design a team around the class of players you have and then you have Scolari as coach, and I believe his focus is counter attack and long balls. I wonder if that will change a bit without Neymar.

Neymar plays jogo bonito. If Ronaldo was in this class of players we would be talking about how jogo bonito is the best style of play.

Just as I don't think tiki-taka is gone, since Spain crashed and burned, jogo bonito will be around.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,405,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

And so what if I am a minority? Is this forum a dictatorship where people can form their own opinions? Boo hoooo I'm scared now. As if I had never dealt with biased soccer fans before.

The popular sentiment this year is to hate on Brazil. I love Brazilians but I have always hated that people especially other Latin Americans always side with their team claiming they are "our brothers" which they are not. Brazilians have never supported other Latin American teams. As we can see in this World Cup Brazilians are betting against Latin American teams and even support mediocre European teams. If they are so great why not compete with the best? Why bet against Argentina? Because they want an easy win but unfortunate for them unless the Netherlands wins, they are probably gonna have to work harder. My hope is that they get eliminated by Germany.

In my opinion all 4 teams deserve to be in the semifinals. Yes others that have also been eliminated could have been there too but there are only 4 spots.

Out of the 4 teams the Netherlands has the most predictable unoriginal game. So in my opinion Netherlands is the only team who does not deserve to win and I don't want Brazil to win because I hate their fans and their idiotic coach.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:19 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,887,075 times
It's a tough tournament and each team will not always play as strong as they should/could each match. While Chile may have been unlucky in their loss to Brazil, they were lucky to have beaten Australia in their first group match. That was a match where Australia very well could have gotten a draw, or even won the match.

Brazil-Germany should be a good one today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or