U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 01:43 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,391,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyking View Post
It was a pretty boring game for a semifinal, that's the truth, both teams extremely afraid of making any errors. Argentina and Netherlands are pretty equal, they both had easy opponents in the round of 16 and quarters (Argentina group stage was a joke) and they have defficiencies creating plays, both depend on the talent of 1 player, sometimes helped by 1-2 more. Anything I guess can happen in this WC but it should be pretty straight forward for German on Sunday.
I don't think Mexico was an easy opponent in the R16 at all. I'd rather have Brazil at that point tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 01:44 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,391,899 times
Quote:
An Argentina win can be just the last push people need to realize that enough is enough, to realize that is time to put the football passion aside and focus improving our real problems.
Why can't you do both? Being truly passionate about football can also mean you don't tolerate things that are destructive to the sport, such as corruption at the highest level, poor facilities, an uninspired and uncritical mindset, etc. Fixing those things come a long way in improving the real problems in your country.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,543,036 times
I know right. I agree. I don't think shunning football will improve anything. Use football and its popularity to address issues.

Ever heard of footballer Socrates? What a brilliant mind on that guy!

Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM

750 posts, read 920,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I don't think Mexico was an easy opponent in the R16 at all. I'd rather have Brazil at that point tbh.
History proves otherwise. Brazil almost never went home in the Round of 16 while Mexico is almost a rule for them (4 cups in a roll).

Old 07-10-2014, 02:22 PM

750 posts, read 920,292 times
Quote:
Why can't you do both? Being truly passionate about football can also mean you don't tolerate things that are destructive to the sport, such as corruption at the highest level, poor facilities, an uninspired and uncritical mindset, etc. Fixing those things come a long way in improving the real problems in your country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I know right. I agree. I don't think shunning football will improve anything. Use football and its popularity to address issues.

Ever heard of footballer Socrates? What a brilliant mind on that guy!
Maybe that is true based on the reality of your countries. The true reality of Brazil is that the government invested billions to finance a cup that will only be profitable for FIFA while neglecting areas we are desperate for help. You can't separate both. The current hope is that when the President hands that trophy to Messi on Sunday, the people who are voting for reelection in November, will think twice about the misery the current administration have caused to our country, and change their minds.

Yes, Socrates was one of the best creative midfielders in the world, a genious playing football. He was also a doctor (MD).

Old 07-10-2014, 02:53 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,773,917 times
I'm surprised that there haven't been more riots yet..

Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,543,036 times
Quote:
Yes, Socrates was one of the best creative midfielders in the world, a genious playing football. He was also a doctor (MD).
And also a social democratic activist during a time of dictatorship. So he was on the front lines.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:26 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,210,470 times
Quote:

Our winning mentality is what got us so close to the final in the first place considering our team mostly consists of young Eredivisie players. Even then the KNVB set the semi-final as a minimum target. For the Olympics, we have a top 10 position as our official target, which is quite ambitious for a country our size. It's engrained in Dutch culture to set the bar extremely high for ourselves in whatever we do and to not make excuses when we fail. We have a policy to send only the very best athletes to the Olympics - the ones who have a realistic chance to win a medal - as winning is far more important than competing to us. This kind of mentality is what sets us apart from the Belgians and it's the reason they perceive us as arrogant (and we perceive them as lackluster).

Besides, in this WC we turned a 1-0 loss against Spain into a 5-1 win, a 2-1 loss against Australia into a 3-2 win and a 1-0 loss against Mexico into a 2-1 win. You cannot make comeback after comeback like this if you lack a winning mentality.

Germany hasn't won the WC in 24 years despite being in three semi-finals since then so they're not exactly shining examples of a winning mentality either. That's only one semi-final more than us in that same time span even though you have a much bigger population (81 million vs. 17 million), a much stronger domestic league and access to far more resources.
Oh, calm down Linda. No reason to respond in such a snipy way.
What I meant with winning mentality was actually winning tournaments not games. Over the course of the entire WC history Germany has won 3 WC's and is approaching a 4th. The Netherlands have never won any WC. Germany also played the most WC games of any country and has the most final appearances. But you are right we kind of lacked the ability to win big games in the past 24 years. It's time to put an end to that.
Your attitude towards approaching big sporting events sound a lot like our approach. We usually set our goal to be among the top 5 nations in the Olympics. And we are among the top 4 nations in the all-time medal count.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I'm a middle class educated Brazilian. ALL my family and friends are rooting for Argentina. Maybe most low income Brazilians are rooting for Germany, but I'm not quite sure, people in general are getting very tired of the current situation and even the poor who are benefited by economic incentives from the government are becoming more critical.

An Argentina win can be just the last push people need to realize that enough is enough, to realize that is time to put the football passion aside and focus improving our real problems.
Ok. I have to take your word for it. It's just that at the interviews on German TV with brazilians they all seem to say they want Germany now to win the WC.

And I stumbled over that article of the UK Telegraph.

Brazil fans give Germany players heroes' welcome at base with 'if you can't beat them, join them', approach - Telegraph

Old 07-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Mexico was totally outplayed by Brazil in the group stages, they were very lucky to get out of that game with a draw. The Netherlands wouldn't have made it through the last 16 imo if they would have faced Brazil. Germany was the only team that could beat Brazil. We played with France and Brazil probably two of the top 4 teams of the tournament. The Netherlands had a very easy path to the Semifinals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or