U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 04:09 PM

9,268 posts, read 5,766,479 times

Advertisements

Brazil were not one of the better teams in this World Cup. They were very lucky to make it past the round of 16 in my opinion as Chile really should have beaten them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 04:21 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,209,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Brazil were not one of the better teams in this World Cup. They were very lucky to make it past the round of 16 in my opinion as Chile really should have beaten them.
Yes Brazil was. Brazil was the better team against Chile and should have won in regular time. To many people make the mistake to underestimate the performance of Germany against Brazil. This Germany team in terms of individual talent has together with Spain the best of all 32 teams in this WC. From 1 to 11 their is not one single team, that has better players as a whole. Germany in addition to that has also the deepest bench of all teams plus it had to left at home superstars like Reus and Gundogan.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Yes Brazil was. Brazil was the better team against Chile and should have won in regular time. To many people make the mistake to underestimate the performance of Germany against Brazil. This Germany team in terms of individual talent has together with Spain the best of all 32 teams in this WC. From 1 to 11 their is not one single team, that has better players as a whole. Germany in addition to that has also the deepest bench of all teams plus it had to left at home superstars like Reus and Gundogan.
Chile hit the bar in the dying seconds of normal time and to be honest Brazil never looked good this world cup.

Brazil are an ordinary side really, and only really got tested at the semi final stage against the first really good team they played.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:45 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
Whoever thinks Brazil should've beat Chile in the first round of 16 game, was not watching the game. The majority reaction to that game was Chile should've won in extra time. Easily, they had Brazil on edge and exposed their weaknesses. It took the Germans to completely dismantle Brazil like a toy.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Whoever thinks Brazil should've beat Chile in the first round of 16 game, was not watching the game. The majority reaction to that game was Chile should've won in extra time. Easily, they had Brazil on edge and exposed their weaknesses. It took the Germans to completely dismantle Brazil like a toy.
I saw Chile have several good chances whilst Brazil resorted to half chances and long range shots..

Old 07-10-2014, 05:20 PM

750 posts, read 919,791 times
Seriously, the Brazil x Chile debate again? It's dead horse, come on. Chile was beaten, period. Was beaten in shots on goal, was beaten on total shots, was beaten in defenses. The numbers don't lie. They were beaten just like last WC in the round of 16 by Brazil too. They couldn't even revenge that. It's foolish to think they deserved to win because they hit a cross bar in the last minute. How about Argentina vs the Swiss? Switzerland hit the bar in the last minute too. Nobody is talking about that.

Yes, clearly Brazil was not the best team in this WC, but I don't really see them behind anybody else than Germany. The 7x1 massacre hardly reflect the reality, it was a bold but huge tactical mistake that caused panic and the Germans took advantage of it. If Brazil plays against Germany 10 times now, I bet the Germans would win 7-8, but never again by the same score. Brazil alway carries so much expectation in other nations, you can feel in the commentators, and everybody around you, that unless they win with a show time performance, people think they are not playing well. It's ridiculous.

Old 07-10-2014, 05:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,536,732 times
I think the point is there wasn't much if a struggle for Brazil to beat Chile back then. Certainly not enough for a pk shoot out or that there would've been a doubt in anyone's mind that Brazil would be the victors. They also came out of that game exposed as if the Mexico game didn't already do that.

But yes it is a dead horse

Old 07-10-2014, 06:06 PM

Yeah I agree with that, I just don't think Brazil have been that special and I wasn't surprised to see them get knocked out, that's all

Old 07-10-2014, 06:09 PM

750 posts, read 919,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think the point is there wasn't much if a struggle for Brazil to beat Chile back then.
See, right there! Soccer is not the same as back there. Soccer has changed, is changing, evolving. Why did we have so many underdogs in this WC giving the big guys a hard time? Because they have been working hard to be better prepared physically and tactically, so they can compete with the individual talents like Messi, Neymar, James, Robben. Do Ghana or Algeria have comparable skills with Germany? No! They were simply prepared tactically to contain the German game as long as possible hoping for an error, so they could score. Ghana did, 2 out of the 4 goals the Germans got in the whole WC and do you know why? Because they knew that in the right defensive wing of Germany, there is hole there sometimes. I have seen it and the Brazilian coach saw it too, that's why he put the little nimble kid named Bernard, just 20 years old, to replace injured Neymar and outrun the defender there. Guess what, the kid is no Neymar, he was moving forward too fast, dragging the defensive midfield to protect his back and that resulted in a hole in the midfield of the size of Alaska. Can you even phantom the pressure and responsibility that kid was carrying, replacing Neymar at his home soil? The Germans loved it

We don't have to go too far, look at Argentina. They haven't really faced any major challenge until Netherlands, yet they kept winning just by one goal difference, many times thanks to Messi and his geniality.

This is modern soccer and this where it is going. The fall of tiki-taka Spain was just a reminder that people gotta start changing their expectations.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:14 PM

2,992 posts, read 4,417,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Yeah I agree with that, I just don't think Brazil have been that special and I wasn't surprised to see them get knocked out, that's all
Who is special in this world cup? Germany has been the only ones that have looked special in multiple games. Colombia looked special at times, so did Chile, and Netherlands, and France...but they also looked totally beatable at times and all lost. Argentina hasn't looked special yet and are in the final. You know who didn't look special? Spain, England, and Italy...they all looked bad. I'm not surprised any team lost because there is much more parity in soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or