Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:57 AM

58 posts, read 94,774 times

Advertisements

I must say I was really surprised with Ecuador.
Argentina... well, I didn't watch the game but I don't think they took it too seriously.
France convinced me. Great game. And Chile was able to play Germamy face-to-face, but, Germany is too... Germany.
Now I'm even more convinced Chile will get out of group stage and the Netherlands will get kicked out.
Portugal is a great doubt for me. And Spain... well, it was a friendly and I wouldn't be bothered if Italy had won. After all, when we used to took friendlies seriously was when we got kicked out at Quarter finals. Now that we don't take friendlies seriously we reach Finals.
I don't even count on England. Even Costa Rica can beat them. They certainly are the weakest European side along with Greece, Bosnia and Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2014, 02:10 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Do not agree . Chile was impressive against Germany, and Brazil won 5-0!!! against southafrica!
Ecuador showed a lot of character by being down 3-0 and managing to turn it around and ending up 4-3.
Paraguay lost to Costa Rica
Venezuela lost to Honduras
Ecuador narrowly beat Australia after being down 3-0
Chile lost to Germany
Uruguay failed to beat Austria
Argentina failed to beat Romania
Colombia failed to beat Tunesia

I'd say that was a pretty bad round Not that I put too much stock in friendlies but come on. How do you expect the world to believe these teams deserve to be in the WC when they struggle to beat even the weakest teams in the WC (Australia, Costa Rica, Honduras) and teams that failed to qualify in the first place? Brazil and Chile were the only ones that got a respectable result (there's no shame in losing to Germany).

---

As for the Netherlands, we lost to France 2-0 yesterday. We had gone unbeaten for 17 games before that but our media are now convinced that we'll embarrass ourselves at the WC

All credit to France because they fully deserved the win. They dominated the game from the 30th minute (or so) on. Although we didn't field our strongest team (4 debutants, no Robben, Van Persie had the flu, Strootman left the field injured in the first half, Sneijder out of shape), I still expected more from this team and I think we all did.

I do hope this result will bring the French team into an even more positive flow (after their impressive 3-0 WCQ win against Ukraine) because I have rooted for France for a long time. I really think they could get far this WC, esp. considering their relatively easy path to the finals. Somehow I doubt Spain, Germany, Brazil and Argentina will all get to the SF because every WC has some surprises. Let's hope France will cause a surprise this time

Old 03-06-2014, 02:24 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
The kits for the World Cup have begun to trickle out. Some of my favorites are Croatia (both home and away, Belgium (both home and away), Portugal home, France away, Brazil away and Russia away.

I am surprised how well Puma will be represented at the World Cup - Ghana, Cameroon, Switzerland, Italy, Chile, Uruguay, Ivory Coast and Algeria will all be wearing kits made by them.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:40 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
The kits for the World Cup have begun to trickle out. Some of my favorites are Croatia (both home and away, Belgium (both home and away), Portugal home, France away, Brazil away and Russia away.

I am surprised how well Puma will be represented at the World Cup - Ghana, Cameroon, Switzerland, Italy, Chile, Uruguay, Ivory Coast and Algeria will all be wearing kits made by them.
The US jerseys could be worn to church without anyone knowing it is a jersey...

Old 03-06-2014, 03:19 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,321,367 times
Germany!

Old 03-06-2014, 06:03 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post

We have gone all retro with our kit. I love it

There are no names on the back, just numbers (in white). I'm not sure it will stay like that though. I read the shorts are supposed to be white as well but apparently there was a FIFA ruling that the colour of the shorts and socks has to match the shirt

Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 PM

n/a posts
I have a strange feeling that it won't be brazil, spain or germany.

I'm going with argentina...and i'll pull for england...just because i feel sorry for them a lot. they should win it again at least..

as always my teams...any african squad, and the us of a...won't be doing much.

as for ghana vs us...i have to go with ghana just because i know how much a world cup would mean to africa.

not that it wouldn't mean anything to the u.s....but the u.s has so much going for it. it doesn't need it as much as africa does. but that's irrelevant because it ain't happening either way.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:30 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
The US jerseys could be worn to church without anyone knowing it is a jersey...
The US needs to redesign their badge, and badly.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:03 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Chile was unlucky 2 lose against Germany. Dominated the game from start to finish. They just couldn't put there chances away. Typical of both teams really. Chile always create plenty of chances but there finishing is still lacking. Germany is the opposite they often score when u least expect it. However in the end a 1-0 loss in germany is hardly a bad result. If this was 2 legged tie would be 50-50 who goes though.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:58 AM

n/a posts
germany is a machine. it's hard to hate them if you like good football but hard to love them if you're not german. i hate how much i love them lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer