U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2014, 01:41 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,546,557 times

Advertisements

Wow! Best Cup in a long time! Every game has been a grudge match. All the teams seem equally matched.

England should've won the game. They played so well and so far it's been the best game of the cup.

Tomorrow we have Switzerland vs Ecuador, France vs Honduras, and Argentina vs Bosnia. All of the games don't sound the least bit exciting since we can easily predict the winner but since Uruguay vs Costa Rica, and Ivory Coast win over Japan, this Cup is totally unpredictable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2014, 03:27 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,787,251 times
I was talking yesterday with a friend about football and we were surprised about how people wishes nowadays that Spain loses and the big happiness about last match (especially the ones who have not Netherlands as favourite) I even read hateness comments in facebook.
I know that we all like diverse results and not always the same team winning, that can be boring, but: isn't it what all teams pursue? (the victory) were they a bad team?

-------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Not as a nation! I ve heard is gorgeous! I love some of their artists, too.

But i just dont like their boring style of football I hated it when they won 2010 with all that tiki taka and those boring 1-0 games. I rather watch an offensive team that scores a lot of goals, like this sabellas argentina (and not just cause im a fan of the NT, but this argentina is the epithome of what i like, their games are super fun cause they are goals goals goals, shots to goal, goal, almost goal, etc. In other times, brazil were also like this and i loved to watch them. I just love offensive teams. Example: i loved netherlands in the 2nd half yesterday. amazing!)

So, no, i dont hate the country at all, i just hate how they play soccer
Haha ok it just sounded a bit weird. Yes I agree sometimes it can be boring to win 1-0 as it happened in South Africa. I was surprised about the last European competition in 2012 the final match against Italy it was 4-1 or something similar, not because they won but because of the result.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:35 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,461,335 times
Costa Rica surprised me: I was aware of Uruguayan weakness in the defense but losing so badly it's unusual.
Italy won, somehow deservedly given that the we hit the pole and the crossbar and a goal of Balotelli was saved by miracle, but I admit that England played much better than in 2012 when it was utterly dominated.
Sadly, playing in the middle of the Amazonian jungle had its downsides and we saw them when England in the second half, despite handling the game, was inconclusive.
3 vital points and the next game will tell much about the qualification because it's Italy-Costa Rica.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:05 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,706,933 times
Quote:
All of the games don't sound the least bit exciting since we can easily
predict the winner but since Uruguay vs Costa Rica, and Ivory Coast win over
Japan, this Cup is totally unpredictable.
I hope so. hehe...I would like to see the US out of the group...1st would be nice...but 2nd's ok too....;-)....

And Spain getting dismantled by the Netherlands...maybe end of tika-taka????

Old 06-15-2014, 07:38 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,882,570 times
Love that after 8 matches....

-There haven't been any ties
-Apart from Greece and Cameroon, every team has scored goals
-Even though all of the matches haven't been sellouts, the atmosphere has been amazing. It's not just the South American fans that have made all the noise either which is awesome, everyone is making noise. The Japanese, the English, the Aussies, etc.
-No Vuvuzelas

Apart from a few bad calls by the refs, this has been an exciting world cup. Costa Rica just threw a big wrench into their group, it's wide open.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 AM

24,268 posts, read 18,804,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I was talking yesterday with a friend about football and we were surprised about how people wishes nowadays that Spain loses and the big happiness about last match (especially the ones who have not Netherlands as favourite) I even read hateness comments in facebook.
I know that we all like diverse results and not always the same team winning, that can be boring, but: isn't it what all teams pursue? (the victory) were they a bad team?
Constant winning in sports creates gloryhunters, but also resentment. That is quite normal. Winning too much too often turns people away from success. For example FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United, Manchester City, Bayern Mnchen, Ajax, Olympiakos, FC Basel and many more are both among the most loved and hated teams.

Yes, I hope too that anyone but Spain or Argentina wins.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:42 AM

1,603 posts, read 1,461,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Constant winning in sports creates gloryhunters, but also resentment. That is quite normal. Winning too much too often turns people away from success. For example FC Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United, Manchester City, Bayern Mnchen, Ajax, Olympiakos, FC Basel and many more are both among the most loved and hated teams.

Yes, I hope too that anyone but Spain or Argentina wins.
Plus Marca and Spanish players overall often showed arrogance (like when after the penalty vs Netherlands, Spaniards looked like they had already won).
For me, neither Brazil nor Germany must win the WC because Brazil would go to 6 (while we are at 4) and Germany would reach us at 4.
I hope it won't make Spain either because they have won too much.
Besides Italy, I'd love to see Netherlands.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 AM

24,268 posts, read 18,804,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Plus Marca and Spanish players overall often showed arrogance (like when after the penalty vs Netherlands, Spaniards looked like they had already won).
For me, neither Brazil nor Germany must win the WC because Brazil would go to 6 (while we are at 4) and Germany would reach us at 4.
I hope it won't make Spain either because they have won too much.
Besides Italy, I'd love to see Netherlands.
Yes, we played in the same qualification group as Spain, and the attitude was more arrogant that I ever seen before. Marca didn't even bother to get the players' names or positions right, and the "analyse" was that Finland plays long balls with big tall blonde players (like Norway in the 90's) when the truth is quite the opposite. Some players were extremely arrogant as well, claiming to win 10-0 without even trying.
But well, something happened and Finland was the second country in 7 years that managed to get even a single point from Spain at home (the other one being France).

BUT, as a defence I have to say that the local populace in Gijn was very friendly and supportive, at least the Finns who were there said so. One person I know said that he has never before being so photographed by and with locals than there. Everyone wanted to get into the same picture with the mysterious and weird Finns. And after the match, hardly any Finns had to pay for their drinks anymore.

Can't help but sharing. (I never get tired of watching this. ) Sorry, commentary in Finnish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JfrevbXxo8

I've been supporting the Netherlands since the Euro 1996, and was in NL during the WC 1998, so I'm rooting for them. The second favorite of mine is France. (France Since Zidane.)

Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 AM

10,097 posts, read 7,546,557 times
At halftime, I stand totally corrected. Again, another underdog is so far empowering a good European team! Ecuador is winning 1-0 against the Swiss. This cup is for America!

Old 06-15-2014, 11:31 AM

18,639 posts, read 27,073,493 times
This Swiss Ecuador game has me on the edge of my seat. So many near chances for both teams. Very enjoyable cup so far as well. Only missed one game so far and that was the blowout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or