U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2014, 11:51 AM

1,748 posts, read 1,662,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Great start, every game except one having at least 3 goals! Highlites and observations:

* The Swiss game-winner was incredible. This kind of goal can convert non-soccer fans. Behrami avoided 2 professional fouls to keep going forward leading to an end-to-end counterattack goal. Granted, many Ecaudoran players appeared to be taking a siesta.

* Italy v England in sweltering Manaus. Italy was able to block many English crosses, passes and shots while they rarely had their own passes affected. Defense is a team game, and many English players were completely unaccountable in that respect.

* Iker Casillas, 4 years ago he acheived international fame by winning the tourneyment and kissing his famous girlfriend on the sidelines after. This past Saturday, he was found flailing, crawling, misjudging, and praying while the Dutch pelted him for 5 goals. Granted, most other Spanish players would also get failing marks for the debacle.

* Death by red card... some red cards mean more than others. Maxi Pereira's early red card doomed Uruguay and motivated Costa Rica. Maxi appeared to be using his foot like a sickle.

* Frank (Ribery) who? France plugged in Antoine Greizmann who may have added 10 million whatevers to his asking price this summer. Fast, clever, great vision, and the ability to play big were on display.

* Bosnian own goal, of the "I'm not paying attention" variety, put them behind the 8 ball early against a so-so Argentinian team they otherwise could have beaten.

* Ivory Coast had the courage to drop the great (but old) Drogba. Without him they showed a more democrat attacking ability which resulted in 2 almost indefensible headed goals. I think this is the World Cup where an African side goes deep.

* To the pub tonight for US v Ghana; workweek hangover be damned.
I agree with most everything you said. Except for the fact that both of Ivory Coast's goals came after Drogba had been introduced into the game. And he did have an impact on the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 12:05 PM

11,451 posts, read 6,452,244 times
Portugal gets pounded by Germany 4-0. Ronaldo is going to sleep checking his closet for Thomas Muller tonight

Old 06-16-2014, 01:19 PM

3,851 posts, read 3,985,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
I agree with most everything you said. Except for the fact that both of Ivory Coast's goals came after Drogba had been introduced into the game. And he did have an impact on the game.
True, pardon the omission. Drogba should continue to come in as a catalytic early sub for best results though. It'll let the fit, speedy attackers like Bony, Gervinho and Kalou soften opponents up before letting Drogba come in and put a different stamp on the game.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:33 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,854,132 times
What are the US chances tonight?

Old 06-16-2014, 01:49 PM

7,552 posts, read 16,419,684 times
I think the US chances are pretty good but Ghana have become a bit of a bogey team so you never know

Old 06-16-2014, 02:04 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,718,810 times
All I'd say is losing twice to Ghana concentrates the mind wonderfully!...;-).....I think we will be entertained at this very important game. The US knows what it's in for and I'm eager to see how they have prepared for the competition. The climb starts!

Old 06-16-2014, 04:02 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,430,658 times
1-0 dempsey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:18 PM

7,148 posts, read 8,004,987 times
the usa are a much better team than most give them credit for , i think they will qualify from their group , portugal wont achieve anything without ronaldo being on form and apart from having fitness issues , it looks like he is a little disinterested

usa to come second in the group behind germany , a good draw and they might make the quater finals

Old 06-16-2014, 05:43 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,295,553 times
Noooo!

EDIT: Yesssss!

Old 06-16-2014, 05:56 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,718,810 times
Whoa....US 2 Ghana 1 ...talk about grinding it out!
Juergen for Pres!...;-)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or