U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 11:54 AM

2,942 posts, read 4,397,978 times

Advertisements

What a rollercoaster this game was! From being 1-0 up to 2-1 down to 3-2 up. I don't even remember our group games of the previous WC but I'll long remember these games against Spain and Australia

I can't imagine we won't make it to the next round now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Lamb View Post
I agree. After the game against Spain a lot of people in here got arrogant, thinking we'd beat Australia easily. But theyre always fit, they always work hard and do whatever they can, and you can tell Holland is struggling. Respect for the Aussies, but i still hope we'll get better and beat them of course
I disagree, I haven't met anyone who thought this game was going to be easy and the consensus in the media was that this was going to be a hard-fought battle (that we were going to win).

I hope Australia get a result against Spain, they don't deserve to leave this WC with zero points.

All in all, I'm so happy with the group we are in and the exciting games it has produced. Hopefully Spain-Chile tonight will be more of the same

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

4,892 posts, read 3,983,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Are you American ?
Yes I am an American.

I would love to see the USA Win, but based on what I have seen so far, the US could note beat Brazil or Mexico the way they are playing now.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:13 PM

218 posts, read 221,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindavG View Post
I disagree, I haven't met anyone who thought this game was going to be easy and the consensus in the media was that this was going to be a hard-fought battle (that we were going to win).

I hope Australia get a result against Spain, they don't deserve to leave this WC with zero points.

All in all, I'm so happy with the group we are in and the exciting games it has produced. Hopefully Spain-Chile tonight will be more of the same
Sure, all the news was warning people about taking this game very light, but i got the feeling of people around me that after the game against Spain they basically thought we were already halfway in the final haha.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:19 PM

5,305 posts, read 2,705,825 times
What's the foam that the ref puts down for free kicks made of? I'm assuming it's not a bottle of Barbasol shaving cream they're using.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:30 PM

If Spain win tonight, Chile will have to beat us by at least 5 goals to overtake the #1 spot from us. For Spain to overtake us, they would have to beat Australia by huge numbers and we would have to lose against Chile.

In other words, I'll be rooting for Spain tonight

Old 06-18-2014, 12:43 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,560,059 times
No way, Chile has to beat Spain. I think many people want to see the world champions beaten by a dark horse.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:05 PM

24,257 posts, read 18,838,874 times
The Dutch defence was dangerously shaky at times. The Aussies did a good effort and got my respect, but in the end the difference in quality was just too great.

Miiko Albornoz seems to play as the right back for Chile. He had the possibility of representing Sweden, Finland or Chile, but he chose wisely, as otherwise he wouldn't play in the WC at the moment.

Well, in all honesty he was considered a persona non grata in the Swedish national team though playing at junior levels, as he was convicted for statutory rape a couple of years back.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,290,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
What's the foam that the ref puts down for free kicks made of? I'm assuming it's not a bottle of Barbasol shaving cream they're using.
Ha ha. It does look like that, though, doesn't it?

It's this: Vanishing foam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 PM

7,551 posts, read 16,405,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Not sure what exactly is in it, but they used it in MLS last few seasons and its great. Stops defence charing the freekick taker and the taker moving the ball forward when hes taking a kick when the refs back is turned.

Actually just googled this
Quote:
This "vanishing spray" is called 9.15 Fair Play, patented by an Argentinean journalist named Pablo C. Silva. Silva was playing footie in a local league and had a crucial free kick of his blocked by a defensive wall--one that had rushed him to close the distance to a mere three meters. "The referee didn't book anyone and didn't do anything," Silva fumed to The Independent. "We lost the game, and driving home later with a mixture of anger and bitterness, I thought that we must invent something to stop this."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or