U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 05:28 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,431,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
France, Germany and the Netherlands. Those are the 3 European teams that will make it until the quarter-finals.

The other 5 teams in the quarter-finals will be Latin-American.

This World Cup in Brazil will be the World Cup of Latin America.

But who will advance to the semi-finals is a thing that I won't risk trying to predict...
Colombia Chile Argentina or Brazil, who knows

hopefully argentina and whoever, but chile and colombia are really good and brazil is local so i dont dare to say i only wish....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 05:55 PM

25 posts, read 36,648 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ukFUEI5qz8

Old 06-20-2014, 06:13 PM

476 posts, read 468,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dohake View Post
The World Cup kicks off this summer in Brazil, and I'm just curious on who you guys think will take the cup home; or will it stay where it is?

I have Brazil winning, because they are at home, and they have a nice, young squad.

As for USA, I'm sorry to say, but we're not going anywhere in that group. (Ghana, Germany, & Portugal.)
The flying Dutchman (Robin Van Persie) will take the cup home.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 7,557,655 times
Not if France has anything to say about it! France and Germany will be top contenders to Holland. Next up are Chile, Argentina, Colombia, Brazil and Argentina. Although I do think that Brazil will get eliminated in the Round of 16.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:37 PM

2,942 posts, read 4,397,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
France, Germany and the Netherlands. Those are the 3 European teams that will make it until the quarter-finals.

The other 5 teams in the quarter-finals will be Latin-American.

This World Cup in Brazil will be the World Cup of Latin America.

But who will advance to the semi-finals is a thing that I won't risk trying to predict...
I'm not convinced Ecuador will make it past the group stage. Uruguay will have to battle it out with Italy but my money is on Italy. Brazil and Argentina have looked far from impressive so far. Chile and Colombia are the only teams that truly seem like contenders for the title right now. I do think Brazil and Argentina will get far (BRA because of the home advantage, ARG because of their easy draw) but overall, I had expected better from South America because this tournament is taking place on home soil. I do have to congratulate Brazil for hosting an excellent WC

Here's my prediction for the route to the QF:

Group A

1. Brazil
2. Mexico
3. Croatia
4. Cameroon

^ The game between Croatia and Mexico will be very tight but I'm giving Mexico the advantage considering their impressive WC record (in terms of getting out of the group stage) and the fact that a draw is enough for them to get through. I do think Croatia is more than capable of beating Mexico and taking the second spot, especially after their thrashing of Cameroon (4-0) and their good performance against Brazil. Despite some people's concerns, there is no doubt in my mind that Brazil will take the first spot. They're not going to give anything away against Cameroon.

Group B

1. Netherlands
2. Chile
3. Spain
4. Australia

^ I cannot wait for the Chile - Netherlands game. Both teams are already qualified but battling for the first spot in order to avoid Brazil in the next round. I think this will also be a tight game but I give the edge to the Netherlands based on our better goal ratio; we only need a draw to clinch that first spot whereas Chile must win. On the other hand, I believe Chile is slightly better than us so it also wouldn't surprise me if they beat us. I think Spain will be desperate to get a good result against Australia so they won't leave the WC with zero points, and purely based on quality they should be able to get it done. It won't be easy though.

Group C

1. Colombia
2. Cote d'Ivoire
3. Greece
4. Japan

^ Greece is one of my least favourite teams in this WC so I'd like to see them finish dead last but I think they'll manage to grind out another 0-0 or 1-0 result against Cote d'Ivoire and thereby taking the third spot. Japan has a more difficult game ahead against Colombia and I just don't see Colombia losing this. Either way, Colombia and CIV will go through.

Group D

1. Costa Rica
2. Italy
3. Uruguay
4. England

^ Who would have thought CR would top this group? They're certainly the revelation of the WC so far. As I said, I believe Italy with all its pedigree and talent will make sure to get that second spot, whereas Uruguay is too reliant on Suarez for their results. This will be another close match - so many of those in this WC, I love it

Group E

1. France
2. Switzerland
3. Ecuador
4. Honduras

^ Ecuador is definitely the weakest of the CONMEBOL nations. They were beaten by Switzerland (a team that was itself utterly destroyed by France) and struggled against Honduras (arguable one of the weakest teams in this WC). I just don't see Ecuador getting a good result against this dominant French side, whereas Switzerland should be able to beat Honduras. Consider a scenario where France beat Ecuador 2-1 and Switzerland beat Honduras 2-1 - which is perfectly realistic - Switzerland would go through based on goal ratio.

Group F

1. Argentina
2. Bosnia & Herzegovina
3. Nigeria
4. Iran

^ Does anyone really believe Argentina won't take the first spot? Iran is in my opinion among the worst teams in this WC and they should be relieved they even managed to get a point from Nigeria. I don't think Nigeria is among the best Africa has to offer but their WCQ are a mess. Bosnia managed to get through its most difficult game without too much damage (only -1 goal ratio) and I doubt Nigeria and Iran will be so lucky. Bosnia should have no problems beating Iran and getting at least a draw from Nigeria, which would secure the second spot (assuming ARG wins its next two games).

Group G

1. Germany
2. US
3. Ghana
4. Portugal

^ Considering the fact that Portugal will miss several key players in its next game against the US, I think the US will come away from this game with at least 1 point but probably more. Ghana looks like the best African team to me and I think they can handle Portugal as well. Germany is of course the uncontested #1.

Group H

1. Belgium
2. South Korea
3. Russia
4. Algeria

^ Along with group F, this is the most boring group to me. Belgium is a level above the other teams in this group so they should be able to hold onto their first spot. Algeria looks like the weakest based on its previous game. Russia and South Korea seem pretty equal but I think SK will finish ahead of Russia - I admit that I'm a little biased in that respect

If my predictions come through, the Round of 16 would have 4/6 South American teams, 3/4 North American teams, 1/5 African teams, 1/5 Asian teams and 7/13 European teams.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:45 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,711,517 times
Re: Costa Rica

Awesome defense with those 5 at the back. Took a page right out of Italy's play book.
I know everybody likes goals but playing 'd' like that against Italy is beautiful to see.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:09 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,146,838 times
I don't know. Iran got ripped off. IMO a penalty kick should have been awarded to Iran against Argentina in the 2nd half. Iran frustrated Argentina and played well. Anyway, Argentina beats Iran with the glorious injury time Messi goal.

-Cheers.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,842,624 times
What network is everyone seeing the games on?? It seems I can only see the games on Univision. Is ESPN or Nbc showing any games?

Old 06-21-2014, 12:35 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,483,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
What network is everyone seeing the games on?? It seems I can only see the games on Univision. Is ESPN or Nbc showing any games?
ESPN and ABC.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM

6,416 posts, read 4,842,624 times
Go Ghana!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or